IGNORED

A veteren audiophile seeking help in computer audiophilia

axel

Personally I think it was better when you were open about your links to the company. Hopefully I'm not talking out of turn here ... But to me a good reply to the initial post from you (or other person with commercial interests) would be along the lines of "We would recommend to our customers the Lynx AES16 card with a high quality DAC such as the Berkerley Alpha DAC." Then give your reasons before finishig with a statement like "other options such as FireWire and USB connected DAC and stand alone players are available but I have little experience of them so can't recommend anything specific". Basically make recommendation if you feel you want to, but acknowledge your commercial interests.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts and as I say, doesn't step on anyone's toes.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"Hope that clarifies my thoughts and as I say, doesn't step on anyone's toes."

I agree with your comments, Eloise, and will also add the proviso that it is TOTALLY Chris' call.

I also think it's best if JR maintains his company link in his posts - so that new users will understand that his comments may come with a financial interest. Again, it's Chris' call.

I also hope I'm not stepping on toes if I say this here- my concern with JR's posts going forward have more to do with the typical Mac vs PC tete-a-tete (whenever Mac or PC posts arise) given his financial interest in PC-based turn-key solutions. This is a much broader topic and therefore has more significant implications as to self-promotion than say, simply recommending a Lynx card.

clay

I prefer everyone to have a signature line that indicates a little something about themselves and especially if they represent an entity with a financial interest. It's actually a win-win for both parties. Readers get more transparency and the representative may receive some positive "press" if they are actually adding to the conversation.

Saying something like "we use this card or we use that card" doesn't really help anyone unless they are looking for shear numbers of users or your business has a very well established track record (i.e. Goodwin's High-End). Providing reasons why you use a certain card helps people make a decision for themselves and says a lot about your level of knowledge.

What I've said in the past about discussing your own products is that's it's not allowed unless asked a specific question directly form a reader about a specific product you sell.

Q. How long of a Lynx cable do you sell and how much is it?

Good -> A. 3 Meters and it's $0.99.

Q. How are people connecting their Lynx cards to their DACs?

Bad -> A. We offer custom Lynx cables or our clients prefer brand X which we happen to sell.

If there is any doubt whether or not you should use certain terminology or respond in such a way, DON'T. You can always send me an email to get an opinion. Many representatives have actually sent me emails asking if they could post a response because their product was exactly what the reader was looking for. I almost always say no, but if I think it's appropriate I will recommend to the original poster that they look at the product in question.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I took a long look at this post this morning for a fresh prespective. I want to clarify some things.

I said, "I think that the you could drop the Lynx AES16 audio card in that pc:) for around $650 then buy the topgun Berkely Alpha DAC for about $5000 and you would be golden!"

Clay said, "Houston, we (may) have a problem..."I think that the you could drop the Lynx AES16 audio card in that pc:) for around $650 then buy the topgun Berkely Alpha DAC for about $5000 and you would be golden!" JR, Your suggestion of a Lynx AES 16 card seems rather SELF-promoting given your recent adds for just such a card, including the 'ad' directly beneath the post when I read it just now."

What I didn't say was I went into tigerdirect and newegg and that thoses are the prices that "he" could buy the parts for and make a decent machine. It may have been taken as if I was selling him that, but I was not. If he had asked me for the specs I would have e-mailed the cart to him. I don't sell the card or the dac and those are just round about prices. I was just trying to help. Your comments and objections are noted and taken to heart.

• 1 month later...

Chris: After your many helpful comments plus those from Tim and Paul, I finally ordered my new Apple Mac Pro (SL) with several hard drives, monitor, etc. It should be here in a few days. It will be used only as a music server, nothing more, sitting next to my main stereo system. It will store my AIFF music files. I was almost ready to follow you and order the Lynx 16e sound card (almost ready to be released with Snow Lepard drivers) and the Berkeley DAC. Unfortunately, I am not near any high end stereo shop. My former store is hundreds of miles away.

But I just read your terrific review of the Ayre QB-9 DAC. I own an Ayre 5 CD player. My former store tells me that with the Mac Pro, the new QB-9 will almost beat my 2-year old Ayre 5 player (which cost $5,000) in sound quality. Your review of the DAC makes it sound so simple to set up and start listening and enjoying, unlike the Lynx card, cable, etc.

Question? Through an excellent sound system, to YOUR ears, is the Apple/Ayre DAC combination as good as the Apple/Lynx/Berkeley combination? Please help before interference from those who promote the Lynx cable worsens my purchasing decision.

Many thanks.

Erol

"...is the Apple/Ayre DAC combination as good as the Apple/Lynx/Berkeley combination?"

Hi Erol - Simply put, no. The QB-9 is not built to compete with the Alpha DAC in terms of features (digital volume control, 24/176.4, 24/192, HDCD, S/PDIF, AES, and TosLink inputs, etc...). The Alpha clearly sounds better to me. Also, the Alpha DAC is twice the price. I'm sure when/if Ayre eventually releases an all-out-assult DAC it will best the QB-9, but also be much more expensive.

Does that opinion help?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yes, Chris, it helps. I wanted to eliminate all the subsidiary issues and focus only on sound and YOUR opinion based on what you were hearing. You have heard both combinations. I have not and have no chance to hear either one, frankly.

Yes, I am aware of the features, etc. They are irrelevant to the main issue; i.e., sound. Price was not the issue either. Other things being equal, which combination sounds better to YOUR ears? And you answered the question forthrightly. Thanks.

I will be ordering the Lynx card, the cable and the Berkeley DAC next. Whether I go with the Amarra or not, I am not sure yet.

Erol