IGNORED

Add DSD 256 to Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 with new Oppo HA-2 !

A helpful tip and tech note from our friends at Oppo Digital. With 2 cables and an Oppo HA-2 (price: $299), you can add DSD 256 to the Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 and have a portable Stereo DSD 256 download player!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17267[/ATTACH]

OPPO Digital - Knowledge Base

Can the Sony walkman play back DSD 256 and stream the Quad DSD data stream to the Oppo HA-2?

Can the Sony walkman play back DSD 256 and stream the Quad DSD data stream to the Oppo HA-2?

As I understand it, the cabling lets the Oppo bypass the Sony Walkman's DAC altogether. So the Walkman is used for menuing and storage and the Oppo does the DAC and Amp work.

With DSD that would have to be the case since the $299 Walkman doesn't support DSD. And the $1,299 model only supports DSD converted to PCM.

A very nice solution by Oppo.

As I understand it, the cabling lets the Oppo bypass the Sony Walkman's DAC altogether. So the Walkman is used for menuing and storage and the Oppo does the DAC and Amp work.

That's how I understand it as well, but if the Sony can't play DSD 11.2MHz files, how is one to send the DSD 256 stream to the Oppo? Does the Oppo DAC come with some player app that you install on the Sony walkman to enable DSD 256 playback on it?

The only problem with this Oppo suggestion is that the sony wmc-nwh10 cable is unavailable in the USA. On ebay it sells for $78 from a seller that has a 97% approval. On Amazon it sells for $40 dollars but the shipping times are one to two months.

It is not listed on the web store, even though they refer to it in a help faq.

If anyone has a source for this cable, please post it.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I'd love to hear how the HA-2 sounds, especially in comparison to DACs that offer some/all similar functionality, such as the Centrance Hifi-M8. I've been looking for a portable DXD/Quad DSD solution so I don't have to move my exaSound to the office, and this just might do the trick.

The only problem with this Oppo suggestion is that the sony wmc-nwh10 cable is unavailable in the USA. On ebay it sells for $78 from a seller that has a 97% approval. On Amazon it sells for $40 dollars but the shipping times are one to two months.

Yes, you need to score one of the special Sony cables from Japan to make all this work. Still, being able to add Quad DSD to the Sony Walkman units - for the price of a cable and HA-2 - is very tempting!

Based on this particular post below, we could call Sony up and ask them for stock number #184863311

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/2565#post_11391124

Then strip that extra pin off ourselves:

550459ffba461.jpeg

Otherwise, we could talk to someone over the phone and then give them WMC-NWH10 as the stock number instead

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/contact_us.jsp

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/services.servicesprograms.bbsccms-services-servicesprograms-phonecontact.shtml

Alternatively, we could simply pay someone else to make a simple one-piece cable with this DIY part as well

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4195

http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-3428.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Part-Handmade-Dock-for-Sony-MP3-Walkman-Player-USB-DATA-Hifi-Cable-LN004195/1896086039.html

Not too long ago I found someone in the US with the cable...I cannot remember where. Not any less expensive but at the high end of the price range ($70). I will have to try and remember how I found that vendor.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 2 months later...

I ended up getting a Fiio X5. It does DSD64 with the current firmware upgrade. Fiio also makes a same dimension portable hp amp (Fiio E12 mount blanc) that straps on to the X5, but so far I'm happy with the X5 and my Dunu 2000 IEM (for pop/rock) or Etymotic 4 IEM (for classical).

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I ended up getting a Fiio X5. It does DSD64 with the current firmware upgrade. Fiio also makes a same dimension portable hp amp (Fiio E12 mount blanc) that straps on to the X5, but so far I'm happy with the X5 and my Dunu 2000 IEM (for pop/rock) or Etymotic 4 IEM (for classical).

Did you look at the new 2nd Generation Fiio X3? It supports uncompressed DSD64 files natively while the Fiio X5 does a conversion from DSD64 to PCM 192/24 before playback for all DSD files.

The Oppo HA-2 plays all DSD files (compressed and uncompressed) up to DSD 256fs natively.

FiiO-Love music,love life,love FiiO!

OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC

Did you look at the new 2nd Generation Fiio X3? It supports uncompressed DSD64 files natively while the Fiio X5 does a conversion from DSD64 to PCM 192/24 before playback for all DSD files.

The Oppo HA-2 plays all DSD files (compressed and uncompressed) up to DSD 256fs natively.

FiiO-Love music,love life,love FiiO!

OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC

I didn't look at the X3, probably should have...but I liked the form and function of the X5 so much.

Through IEM's, much of the DSD advantage is lost, I can barely hear the difference between DSD and PCM. So if the DSD is native or not, I can't tell the difference. OTOH, with speakers that excel in soundstage presentation, the difference is immediately noticeable.