IGNORED

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

What about his masters for others, particularly Aqualung​?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
i want to know,What about his masters for others, particularly Aqualung​?0amkRQ

I like Wilson's Aqualung​ a lot. His Nonsuch for XTC, not so much, though I've seen good reviews from others.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This latest release by Steven Wilson looks very much like being recorded using a Lavry A/D converter (from the 30 kHz cut-off):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17239[/ATTACH]

...same seems to be the case for The Raven That Refused to Sing album too...

Steven must have used a different A/D or filter on "Happy Returns" as the frequency doesn't roll off at 30 kHz like most of the album. Interestingly, I noticed that Marco Minneman doesn't play drums on "Happy Returns." Chad Wackerman handled those duties. I'm wondering if he tracked "Happy Returns" at another location instead of AIR Studios. I do love the fact that Wilson's mixes are not tampered by a second person in a mastering process. His skills at mixing leaves little if any room for improvement by someone else mastering them. Therefore, something like a different filter or frequency roll-off between individual tracks will definitely show up on his 24 bit / 96 kHz masters, as appears to be the case here. If someone else ran the overall album through their own series of filters and processing, you might see more uniformity on a spectrogram over the entire album, but the sound may not necessarily be improved upon in the individual tracks. To hypothesize if Wilson knows what he is doing at this point in his career is an understatement. After the Thick as a Brick debacle, I doubt he'll ever willingly allow another person to "master" his final mixes again.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire