IGNORED

Would you like a "like" button on CA?

Would you like to see "like" buttons on CA?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A like button enables expressing appreciation for a post without having to post a reply such as "+1."

Yes, a like button and "I agree". A simple "Thanks" works well too if a question is asked and answered - you know the OP has read your reply then.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I actually voted no.

On a couple of forums I frequent (not hifi related), there are serial "likers" that seem to like what everyone says even on opposing sides of an argument? I wonder if they understand what the button is for? I am not sure "like" is the best term to use.....maybe "I agree" or "thanks" as Audio_ELF touched on.

Thanks - lovely avatar, by the way:)

Somehow familiar...

Yet different ...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yes. Like button must be. It's cool idea. I not once thought about it before.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I don't think Gromit would appreciate being called Swiss. He's as English as it gets.

His favourite cheese is Wensleydale and lives (with Wallace) at 62 West Wallaby Street (which is in Wigan).

Eloise

---

I actually voted no.

On a couple of forums I frequent (not hifi related), there are serial "likers" that seem to like what everyone says even on opposing sides of an argument? I wonder if they understand what the button is for? I am not sure "like" is the best term to use.....maybe "I agree" or "thanks" as Audio_ELF touched on.

Like or Thanks (I prefer thanks). I don't like those forums that have it and then list every user who clicked like. Making the list available if clicked on his okay. I just dislike when the list gets long by default. You can have this short post taking up half a page with a list of those who LIKED it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

A like button enables expressing appreciation for a post without having to post a reply such as "+1."

I voted 'No' since I think there is too much of that kind of thing around the web, and posting a "+1" allows for some expansion, or limitation to the agreement, and perhaps encourages posting something meaningful, rather then just clicking some damn button.

What I would really like to see on the CA forum is the ability to see how many, and which members are on ignore lists !!

Consider an 'Ignore Count' in everyones Profile, that can been seen by that member, and any other member viewing his profile. Whether it would be seen as neutral, shameful, or as a 'red badge of courage', I think it would bring a lot of value to the community, and act as a bit of a 'Quality Control' measure.

Anybody else like this idea ?

I voted 'No' since I think there is too much of that kind of thing around the web, and posting a "+1" allows for some expansion, or limitation to the agreement, and perhaps encourages posting something meaningful, rather then just clicking some damn button.

What I would really like to see on the CA forum is the ability to see how many, and which members are on ignore lists !!

Consider an 'Ignore Count' in everyones Profile, that can been seen by that member, and any other member viewing his profile. Whether it would be seen as neutral, shameful, or as a 'red badge of courage', I think it would bring a lot of value to the community, and act as a bit of a 'Quality Control' measure.

Anybody else like this idea ?

One day everyone will be on your ignore list and you will not be able to read anything:)

How about a weekly member-performance review?

It would help insecure members make up their minds on who to ignore and who to follow...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

One forum I'm on has recently implemented a "Best Answer" facility which is perhaps more useful.

If a user wishes to ask a specific "How to" question they can mark it as such when posting. Viewers of the thread can then vote on the replies to suggest which is the best answer.

Eloise

---

I am opposed to a "Like" button because it turns posters into sycophants, posting in ways that they (usually quite successfully) divine as being likely to result in lots of "Likes." I am a regular poster on Metafilter, and while it is without a doubt one of the most out there, diverse, and at least nominally accepting forums around, it is absolutely clear that the tyranny of the "Like" has had its influence. I admit I've posted things crafted specifically designed to elicit "Likes." Don't do it. It is a mistake.

When one approves what someone has written, he often expresses it with the "reply with quote" function and a "+1". This can take a lot more space, so a "Like" button could improve on the space maintenance. It couls be called differently also - a "Plus" instead.

Alain

When one approves what someone has written, he often expresses it with the "reply with quote" function and a "+1". This can take a lot more space, so a "Like" button could improve on the space maintenance. It couls be called differently also - a "Plus" instead.

I fully agree. I personally find that "+1" posts hurt the flow of threads.

In my view, a Like, +1 or Thanks button would make it possible to express appreciation or agreement in a way that would keep threads flowing nicely.

I am opposed to a "Like" button because it turns posters into sycophants, posting in ways that they (usually quite successfully) divine as being likely to result in lots of "Likes." ... it is absolutely clear that the tyranny of the "Like" has had its influence. I admit I've posted things crafted specifically designed to elicit "Likes." Don't do it. It is a mistake.

How about just creating a Poll thread, like this, to gauge the Like/Don't Like meteric ??