IGNORED

Recommendations for HT Speakers

The living room system is being repurposed mainly to video, so music will be a secondary reason in there. To wit, I want to replace the aged and well loved Advents in there with something video-ey, and move then Advents up to a pure music system. (Love those puppies. :)

Here is the current plan.

Main JRMC Server with Audio and Video partitions mounted from the SAN. This will be upstairs and hardwired to the music network wireless router, which is a current model Apple Airport Extreme connected to a Cisco firewall for the internet.

The target system for video is located about 60 feet away, and connects to another current generation Airport Extreme in extend mode. This allows me to hardware the following gear:

Onkyo NR-TX636 AV Receiver

---Apple TV, current generation [HDMI]

---Roku 3 [HDMI]

---Sony BD6200 BRP [HDMI]

---Panasonic 65" TC65 [HDMI + Wireless]

---JRiver ID -> KimberCable USB -> Wavelength Proton -> Onkyo Pure Direct port

We currently run a 2.0 channel output to the Advents, but that sounds much better using higher end electronics than the Onkyo.

The Onkyo has very clean sound, and tightly controlled bass, but just doesn't drive the Advents to sing the way they should. It will drive more efficient and/or smaller speakers. Seriously, this is being used for video, so I plan to add a center to it that can reproduce dialog very well.

Oh, and did I mention I want to keep this kinda cheap? I do need to control the bass very well, as it will run up the walls and resound in the loft. Annoying, totally null spots in the living room, and rattling the windows upstairs in my office.

I was thinking of trying the Klipsch R-25C center and a pair of the matching bookshelves or floor standers. That is cheap. I was also thinking of a set of the Andrew Jones low cost floor standers and the matching center channel for it. It will get some music, but mostly at a soft level not so loud as to disrupt or prevent conversation.

The boss says they have to look good to. No robots, no plastic, and no automotive finishes. Black ash is perfectly fine. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Wood and cloth finishes, the MMC2's nicely fold out of the way when not in use, making them the perfect surrounds....Of course you know that I'm biased in this regard...

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Wood and cloth finishes, the MMC2's nicely fold out of the way when not in use, making them the perfect surrounds....Of course you know that I'm biased in this regard...

As am I. It is mounting the darn things to the wall and the cable runs that flummoxs me. As well, if this thing ain't gonna be primarily for music, I tend to be resistant to investing a lot into it. (grin)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Yeah, it cost me a pretty penny to wire the whole HT system so no cables visible per "request" from the boss. All components ended up in hall closet with long speaker wire runs throughout the downstairs of the house.

The Pioneer SP Fs52s would be an excellent choice vs cost.......but even these need a sub for HT. It doesn't have to be loud to resonate and be problematic. Deep extension is the goal even at lower volumes for the tactile experience. SVS has an excellent entry level ported unit.

The Pioneer SP Fs52s would be an excellent choice vs cost.......but even these need a sub for HT. It doesn't have to be loud to resonate and be problematic. Deep extension is the goal even at lower volumes for the tactile experience. SVS has an excellent

entry level ported unit.

I am thinking about it. In the meantime I just put a second pair of Advents in there, which is really too large. The Pioneers may fit the bill, and looking at the SVS.

I am really leary now of ported speakers. They just do not sound "right" to me, even the very exensive ones, at least until you get into ones that are physically large. Subs just do not work in our living room, excet to resonate the upstairs loft area. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

I wouldn't rule out Klipsch for HT. Their center speakers especially are underrated. The horns work well for dialogue. My old Klipsch kg3.5s in my family room were at least the equal to my Rockets for HT. Music was too fatiguing, but for HT they sounded pretty good.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

I am thinking about it. In the meantime I just put a second pair of Advents in there, which is really too large. The Pioneers may fit the bill, and looking at the SVS.

I am really leary now of ported speakers. They just do not sound "right" to me, even the very exensive ones, at least until you get into ones that are physically large. Subs just do not work in our living room, excet to resonate the upstairs loft area. :)

I agree with your assesment of small ported systems for the most part, but there are some exceptions to the rule. Floorstanding tower systems often use the entire enclosure for volume and in such, develop a second resonance besides the tuning frequency due to the long wavelenghts associated with the internal chamber lengths. Long panels of enclosures are much more readily excited too without sufficient bracing. You don't get that with entry level speakers......it's just too costly.

But sealed systems simply won't extend Lowe without tons of power and large, expensive, inefficient drivers.......none of which fit your plan! Lol.

Subs can work in ANY space Paul. Yours needs DSP. Check out the MiniDSP unit. It's become the go to tool for many audiophiles and HT enthusiasts. They use them for just the subs. Sounds like a better solution for you would be two small sealed bookshelf speakers and two sealed subwoofers.

Wanna go the DiY route? There's some excellent designs well proven through plenty of user builds. There's also fully assembled cabinets and crossovers which require simple assembly with basic hand tools. BIG BIG $$$ to be saved on subwoofer with a DiY.

Let me know and I'll send you some links. There's a small sealed 2way voiced as a replacement to the Rogers LS that sounds simply incredible and builders feedback is overwhelmingly favorable.

I agree with your assesment of small ported systems for the most part, but there are some exceptions to the rule. Floorstanding tower systems often use the entire enclosure for volume and in such, develop a second resonance besides the tuning frequency due to the long wavelenghts associated with the internal chamber lengths. Long panels of enclosures are much more readily excited too without sufficient bracing. You don't get that with entry level speakers......it's just too costly.

But sealed systems simply won't extend Lowe without tons of power and large, expensive, inefficient drivers.......none of which fit your plan! Lol.

Subs can work in ANY space Paul. Yours needs DSP. Check out the MiniDSP unit. It's become the go to tool for many audiophiles and HT enthusiasts. They use them for just the subs. Sounds like a better solution for you would be two small sealed bookshelf speakers and two sealed subwoofers.

Wanna go the DiY route? There's some excellent designs well proven through plenty of user builds. There's also fully assembled cabinets and crossovers which require simple assembly with basic hand tools. BIG BIG $$$ to be saved on subwoofer with a DiY.

Let me know and I'll send you some links. There's a small sealed 2way voiced as a replacement to the Rogers LS that sounds simply incredible and builders feedback is overwhelmingly favorable.

Nobody, including myself, has *ever* gotten a sub to work well in this space, even when one gets them to work at all! I once accidentally knocked pictures off the wall upstairs with a sub that I could not hear at all from 6 feet away... (grin)

Robert A. Heinlein

I wouldn't rule out Klipsch for HT. Their center speakers especially are underrated. The horns work well for dialogue. My old Klipsch kg3.5s in my family room were at least the equal to my Rockets for HT. Music was too fatiguing, but for HT they sounded pretty good.

I put a Klipsch R-C25 in the system today, and it merged sonically in with the Advents very well. I didn't try letting the AVR set it up, because it gets really confused without a sub, but I set it's crossover to 70hz, and aligned it physically with the LRs. It does a pretty good job, depending upon the material. I don't hear it as a separate speaker at all, but the dialog is very clear and centered just where it should be.

Thinly way I am sure it is working is to switch the system to stereo, which only uses the fronts. The normal phantom center channel jumps right into place as it should, and I can barely hear any difference when the center channel is switched in or out. On some material, the CC is marvelous though, providing a much better dialog source in terms of clarity and spatial positioning. Very source dependent.

Robert A. Heinlein