IGNORED

Is some music better than other music?

Ahh - but there's one instrument that unites emotion with music through primitive rawness (personally, I feel I'm being generous in using the term music, although I recognize and respect that others love bagpipes):

bagpipesab4.png

Unfortunately, the sensations evoked in me by such raw, primitive sounds require amelioration that's more medicinal than mechanical........

footerl_nexium_logo.png

To me, 24-hours straight of bagpipes is preferable to even one minute of rock electric guitar. I'd rather listen to the entire discography of "The Portsmouth Sinfonia":

than the shortest cut of any Jimmie Hendrix album :)

Tastes do vary greatly!

George

Actually, that is a recording it never occurred to me to listen to on headphones. I'll have to give it a try.

Now if you are referring to headphones in general, I have heard some that are pretty good and far prefer speakers. What would you consider a good headphone, and equally good headphone amp?

The problem here is that I was referencing headphone and amplifier combinations that add up to #2-3k. A lot of money in some circles, but the equivalent of a speaker based system several times that. I'm more than willing to provide the speciiifics, but I doubt you would want to spend the money to test the premise. And, after all, I do, more than understand the love for speakers.

JC

I know that bagpipes seem to be an acquired taste, but I find them, when well played, eminently stirring. Perhaps it helps that I've had the rare opportunity to walk the battlefields in Scotland where they won their freedom, thanks to William Wallace and, at the end, Robert The Bruce, to the accompaniment, of a brilliant solo piper.

JC

Ahh - but there's one instrument that unites emotion with music through primitive rawness (personally, I feel I'm being generous in using the term music, although I recognize and respect that others love bagpipes):

bagpipesab4.png

Unfortunately, the sensations evoked in me by such raw, primitive sounds require amelioration that's more medicinal than mechanical........

footerl_nexium_logo.png

Then you obviously Haven't heard this one!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17241[/ATTACH]

George, I'm gonna miss the guy, but I sure as hell ain't buying any of his records. His estate will need to survive off me re-watching the TV shows and movies from the franchise...:)

That could be the next poll. Worst recording perpetrated on the public by members of the original franchise...I look forward to the releases from the rest of the bridge crew, and of course Bones and Scottie......

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

The problem here is that I was referencing headphone and amplifier combinations that add up to #2-3k. A lot of money in some circles, but the equivalent of a speaker based system several times that. I'm more than willing to provide the speciiifics, but I doubt you would want to spend the money to test the premise. And, after all, I do, more than understand the love for speakers.

JC

Well, you can PM me the details if you don't mind.

Best headphones I currently use are Beyer DT880's. Not SOTA or even close. Heard some of the mid-level AKG's which I like pretty well as headphones go.

I did own some Stax SRD-7 Pro phones in years past. Powered by a few amps though mostly some VTL triodes while I had them. Also some of the old original Koss ESP-9B electrostat phones. I think the Stax was better. But I haven't used any of the current crop of $1k plus phones or amps.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

George, I'm gonna miss the guy, but I sure as hell ain't buying any of his records. His estate will need to survive off me re-watching the TV shows and movies from the franchise...:)

That could be the next poll. Worst recording perpetrated on the public by members of the original franchise...I look forward to the releases from the rest of the bridge crew, and of course Bones and Scottie......

Yeah, of course I think everyone who ever watched Star Trek - either first run or in endless syndication (and that basically means most of the world) is saddened over the loss of Nimoy, but, on the other hand, at 83, he did "live long and prospered". But this album was truly awful! :)

George

Yeah, of course I think everyone who ever watched Star Trek - either first run or in endless syndication (and that basically means most of the world) is saddened over the loss of Nimoy, but, on the other hand, at 83, he did "live long and prospered". But this album was truly awful! :)

And William Shatner's "musical" efforts aren't much better. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

And William Shatner's "musical" efforts aren't much better. :)

Allan, I brought the beloved Captain in earlier in the thread and then George chimed in with the music of our recently departed science officer.

Shatner live.jpg

Here is the offer from the Captain. Think how much a sealed original pressing must be worth! At least a dollar US I'll bet. :)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Allan, I brought the beloved Captain in earlier in the thread and then George chimed in with the music of our recently departed science officer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17257[/ATTACH]

Here is the offer from the Captain. Think how much a sealed original pressing must be worth! At least a dollar US I'll bet. :)

I'm waiting for it to come out in DSD :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

"Is there to be no knowledge in art? Does not the experience of art

contain a claim to truth which is certainly different from that of science,

but just as certainly is not inferior to it? And is not the task of aesthetics

precisely to ground the fact that the experience (Erfahrung) of art is a

mode of knowledge of a unique kind, certainly different from that sensory

knowledge which provides science with the ultimate data from which it

constructs the knowledge of nature, and certainly different from all moral

rational knowledge, and indeed from all conceptual knowledge—but still

knowledge, i.e., conveying truth?"

Hans-Georg Gadamer, Truth and Method,p.84

This is intended to widen the discussion beyond the radical subjectivization and democritization of "taste" that often is a tacit presupposition in threads like these.

Most likely his transport will refuse to play it! :)

I'd like to think that mine would!

Transport or transporter? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Most likely his transport will refuse to play it! :)

I'd like to think that mine would!

George, I could see the whole damn thing going up in a big ball of flames....:)

"Damn it Jim, you're an entertainer, not a musician. And Spock, are you out of your Objectivist mind?"

--Dr. Leo 'Bones' McCoy

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

"Damn it Jim, you're an entertainer, not a musician. And Spock, are you out of your Objectivist mind?"

--Dr. Leo 'Bones' McCoy

Perfect! :)

I've often thought of a similar question. If there is music that can make you smarter, is there music that can make you dumber?

Shoot, heckifIknow - turn up that Megadeth!!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Have you tried googling "art vs. entertainment"?

One of the hits I get has an interesting quote:

We need the arts to awaken us to the realities of the Kingdom of God. To awaken the fullness of our human potential and to help us realize that.

The main difference between the arts & entertainment:

Entertainment gives you a predictable pleasure. Art gives you pleasure but leads to transformation. It awakens you rather than just satisfies a craving.

Clearly I really am missing something. I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive. In fact, if art is not entertaining I am not interested. I guess I'm an uncivilized savage.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

I've often thought of a similar question. If there is music that can make you smarter, is there music that can make you dumber?

Get thee behind me, Satan! Have you seen some audiences? Football crowds? "We're racist and we like it?" Please don't tempt me. I'm trying to maintain some kind of internal karmic balance. Plus, there's my blood pressure.

Then comes to mind, the "Horst Wessel Lied". Great tune, shame about the sentiment.

Mike zerO Romeo Oscar November

http://wakibaki.com