IGNORED

Weiss DAC2, still relevant?

I know in a bygone era the Weiss DAC2 was a much praised DAC. How time and technology has moved on. The Weiss has firewire inputs that no one supports any more. No USB support. And spdif, optical and AES/ebu inputs that are still somewhat useful.

So is it still a DAC to be taken into consideration? If I were to buy one I'd mate it with a laptop (with a M2tec hiface and and schitt Wyard) for now. But in the future I am considering a Aurelic Aries (LE).

So how stupid or wise would it be to buy a non-USB DAC now? My current DAC is a Wadia 12 that is slowly dying. Causing major hum on my phono amp since about 1 month. Only on 1 channel though.

[br]

This Firewire issue is specifically why I would not recommend that anyone buy a Thunderbolt-only DAC, or even a USB-only DAC.

While I do not foresee USB being dropped any time in the near future, I don't see a long-term future for Thunderbolt-equipped devices, just as I did not see a long-term future for Firewire devices.

However, AES/EBU and S/PDIF connections are unlikely to disappear, and optical connections can be useful because they provide complete electrical isolation from the source device.

So there is no reason to discount the DAC based on the fact that it has a largely defunct Firewire connection if its performance with AES/EBU or S/PDIF meets your requirements.

My current DAC is a Wadia 12 that is slowly dying. Causing major hum on my phono amp since about 1 month. Only on 1 channel though.
Are you not able to send it in for a repair?
So is it still a DAC to be taken into consideration?

It depends on the price. I replaced mine with the Mytek and it was a significant upgrade.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Are you not able to send it in for a repair?

The DAC is not worth repairing. I can buy a Moon 100D for the same price as it would cost to repair my Wadia 12

It depends on the price. I replaced mine with the Mytek and it was a significant upgrade.

The seller is asking 1300 euro. A new Mytek 192 is 1500 euro. Which of the 3 Mytek DACs did you buy?

I am thinking about buying a Schiit Gungnir, it is affordable. But there is no way to listen to it before I buy it. But the same is true for the Mytek and many other DACs like the Metrum Octave.

[br]

The seller is asking 1300 euro. A new Mytek 192 is 1500 euro. Which of the 3 Mytek DACs did you buy?

I have the Stereo192 Silver Preamp version. I ended up making money when swapping it for my DAC2. I picked up a used Mytek for like $1300 and sold the DAC2 for around $2100. And as I mentioned, the Mytek was a significant upgrade.

I would actually pass on both the DAC2 and the Mytek Stereo192 at those prices. They are both old in the tooth. I'd look to newer DACs - like maybe the Chord 2Qute, which appears to be in the same price range.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have the Stereo192 Silver Preamp version. I ended up making money when swapping it for my DAC2. I picked up a used Mytek for like $1300 and sold the DAC2 for around $2100. And as I mentioned, the Mytek was a significant upgrade.

I would actually pass on both the DAC2 and the Mytek Stereo192 at those prices. They are both old in the tooth. I'd look to newer DACs - like maybe the Chord 2Qute, which appears to be in the same price range.

So newer is always better or sound better? I guess not.

So newer is always better or sound better? I guess not.

I didn't say always.

Haven't you noticed that digital gear is rapidly advancing? The Weiss DAC2 was originally $5000 when it was first released as the Minerva. The Mytek, at fraction of the price, was significantly better. That's how things tend to go with digital.

I've little doubt that there are DACs now priced lower than the Mytek Stereo 192 that are significantly better. That probably explains why Mytek now sells it on their website for a few hundred below list with a few extras thrown in.

The new WEISS DAC Flagship has been announced in Germany:

Der MEDUS D/A Wandler – unser Flaggschiff DAC

simplon

Digital Sources: MacBook 8GB / 512GB internal SSD, iTunes 12.0.1.26, OS X 10.10 El Capitan, Amarra Symphony iRC 3.0.3 and Pure Music 2.0, Weiss DAC 202 Firewire, Creek Destiny CD,

Analog Sources: Transrotor FatBob Turntable with SME M2-9 tonearm and Benz ACE-L MC cartridge

Preamplification: McIntosh C500T Tube preamplifier; Clearaudio Balance+ Phono preamplifier (balanced);

Power amplifier: McIntosh MC452 Stereo

Loudspeaker: B&W 802 Diamond

Cables:

AC: Audioplan power conditioning and 5x Audioplan Power Cable, 1 Shunyayta power cable, 1 Audio Pro power cable

Kimber KS 1130 XLR between Phonostage and pre-amplifier, Speakercable Kimber 3033 incl. Kimber BiFocal Bi-wiring- adapter, Audiopro Advanced Listening 3 XLR, 1 digital SPDIF cable CD to DAC, Firewire MacBook to DAC Kubala-Sosna,

Accessories: room treated with accoustic elements from r-t-f-s, Hannl Mera Vinyl Record Cleaner; 5x bFly Audioabsorber, Creative equipment rack

I recently wanted to replace my Weiss DAC 2 in my second systemand see what some of the newer DACs are about - I really wanted to the love the Chord Hugo, from the small format, to the headphone support to DSD support. For 16/44.1 and higher rez PCM I still ended up preferring the Weiss DAC 2. The Chord had a nice tonality (similar to my Wavelength Cosecant) but was missing detail, tonal textures flow, and depth compared to the Weiss and the Wavelength in my main system. The difference was quite astounding. Thinking it was system dependent I took the Chord over to another friend's place, but ended up confirmed the same.

I owned the Hugo for 4 months and really wanted to like it but ended up selling it and keeping the DAC2. On the other had I really liked what I heard from an Auralic Vega at a friend's place compared to his DAC202 so there is hope for newer DACs. The Weiss has a very specific presentation: clearly separating out instruments and allowing you to follow each instruments in a piece. I haven't heard quite another DAC that does this as extreme.

• 4 months later...
My laptop has no firewire output and neither has the maybe future Aurelic Aries. Also I cannot see myself building a CAPS with firewire card. I'm not that computer savvy.

Adding a firewire card to a CAPS is actually quite easy...just a matter of plugging it into the mobo slot and screwing the plate to the chassis.

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

This subject of DAC lifespan has interested me before. Since I bought my first DAC in 2010 I have bought two more, all at decreasing prices and increasing quality. With the changes in DAC capability and quality coming so fast I would hesitate to spend a lot on a DAC for fear it would be an expensive paperweight in a couple years! I feel that DAC's on either side of the $2000 mark seem to hit the sweet spot for cost/performance. Anything more and I personally think you are wasting your money these days.

Jim

Most definitely so.

I am not a big fan of Wiess but about 18 months ago I heard an upgraded one compared to my beloved Killer DAC. I was shocked, and so was the guy that makes the Killer DAC, who was there. It was actually fairly close. Amazing.

Now as to how it was upgraded - that I cant recall. Other times I have heard the Wiess it was a bit blah - nothing bad - just blah - so it was obviously a big factor.

Thanks

Bill