IGNORED

MIDI settings on a Macbook Pro

Hi. I'm new to computer audio and have a question on the MIDI setting on my Mac. Do I need to change the settings back and forth when I'm playing 16/44 files in itunes or can i leave it at 24/96 for my HD Tracks on songbird? I've tried playing itunes with MIDI set at 24/96 and it works but am I losing sound quality or causing any harm to my equipment?

If you leave Audio Midi set at 24/96 there will be a reduction in sound quality. Whether the SQ reduction is outweighed by the convinienxe only you can decide, but most people would recommend it's worth the small inconvinience.

You won't cause any damage to any part of your system.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My recommendation is to play the music at the exact sample rate of the music.

Others have recommended upsampling if you have a non-oversampling DAC and for other reasons. I think Eloise is correct to say you can decide for yourself. The convenience factor is huge as well. If you go the convenience route setting it at 44.1 may be better if most of your music is 44.1. Of course other opinions will say just the opposite :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png