IGNORED

Fiio X5 Genre issue

I just purchased this unit and so far I love it. I find a big difference even in Apple Lossless 44Hz files from iTunes compared to how they sound in the iPhone. I especially love some of the HD stuff I have purchased from HDTracks. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the mood, for example, is amazing! (I have the iTunes version, but this blows it away).

Anyway, I just finished transferring all my iTunes songs to the X5 and of course did the "Update Library" thing. However, when I look at music my Genre, it seems to be getting the Genre's wrong on many many songs! For example, I go into "Soft Rock" genre and I see songs that, in iTunes, were tagged as "Alternative" in iTunes. Does the X5 not recognize the genre tagging that iTunes does? Do I need some other program (I have a Mac)??

Mine matches up exactly with what I have in JRiver, I gave up on iTunes a year ago and I'm not sure how it tags. I would recommend finding a tagging tool (I use Tag&Rename) and look at the file tags themselves, you might be able to figure out the logic behind your answer.

BTW: It would be great if the X5 would do Genre > Artist > Album > Tracks, (3 tiers before tracks) right now I keep getting Genre > Artist > Tracks (2 tiers before tracks). Does yours do the same? I've grown weary about software updates unless it offers something I really want/need.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Mine matches up exactly with what I have in JRiver, I gave up on iTunes a year ago and I'm not sure how it tags. I would recommend finding a tagging tool (I use Tag&Rename) and look at the file tags themselves, you might be able to figure out the logic behind your answer.

BTW: It would be great if the X5 would do Genre > Artist > Album > Tracks, (3 tiers before tracks) right now I keep getting Genre > Artist > Tracks (2 tiers before tracks). Does yours do the same? I've grown weary about software updates unless it offers something I really want/need.

Actually, when I select Genre, I get a list of Genres (Acoustic, Alternative, Big Band, etc), then when I select one of the Genres I get a list of tracks. So I guess I go straight from Genre to tracks! What version firmware are you using?

Firmware is 2.4. And now that you mention it (and I fired the unit up and checked it), you are correct, I go from Genre > strait to Tracks, very aggravating.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800