IGNORED

96/24 2.0 from Blu-Ray?

Greetings,

Been pondering the idea of getting a blu-ray player (the ps3 slim is the top contender).

Right now I have my DVD player set to output PCM via optical/coax and I run that into my Bryston BDA-1... the little 48k led lights up! I get Stereo (2.0) and am happy! No interest in surround sound for me.

So my hope is knowing that Blu-ray using Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master HD have discrete 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0 tracks in PCM, if I set my (future) Blu-ray player to output PCM via optical or coax that when I select the Dolby Tru HD or DTS Master HD... Will I get 96/24?

I am aware that this may be dependent of the player I select... thus any input in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Drew.[br]Totem Model 1 Signature\'s

Thanks Chris,

This seems to be a very under looked area in modern times... most everybody simply rushes into the next technology babble without stopping and asking basic questions.

I know I can output 96/24 from my mac mini and intend to do so when more of my like in music comes available.

The thought was, that since blu ray players are in fact computers with OS's, is there one out there smart enough to do this!

I've read reports of early players that could do this, but those were the ones that took a minute to load anything and then may or may not play the disc!

the quest continues!

As standard, bluray players generally only output 48k from their SPDIF connection. It is possible to get a player adapted or get a HDMI to SPDIF converter. I can't offer any advise o. The quality or stability but know it will work.

Your other option is a Bluray ROM drive in a PC and extract the Audio this way - I remember reading an article on Chris doing this.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

chris,

not trying to 'rip' the audio.. simply was curious if i could get my bryston to light up at 96k and enjoy the audio when randomly watching a blu ray movie...

that said.... when more music make's it's way to blu ray... then ripping would have hopefully evolved! ;)

I just had a quick read of the Oppo manual. I hope this helps :)

Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 13) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 14).

Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACD, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVD-Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Oppo BDP-83 Manual

Bummer, I was thinking of getting a BDP-83 to partner with my ADM9s guess no point now with no Hires over optical.

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

Not so great for me as I want to keep the boxes to a minimum- cool gaget though :)

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

• 3 weeks later...

you wrote:

"one possibility for you

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-1.3-Audio-De-Embedder-p-17801.html

happily accessing a variety of 24/44.1 decoded HDCD, 24/96 and 24/192 this evening from BDP-83 HDMI...."

Have you tried using a (stereo) SACD? And what have you used as "receiver".

I think it might be of interest if there MAY be a easy solution (non DIY) to get HiRez audio (DVD, DVD-A, BD, SACD ...) thru a HDMI to S/PDIF convertor into the DAC of our choice (not to mention that one could record the PCM to harddisc too).

Would you please be so kind and elaborate ... ;)

Thanks

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

optical outs? Really 24/192, or does the optical outs limit that bandwidth? The MCHouts seem to be 2 channel stereo mini plugs, which is ok but requires mini-to-dual rca adapters, etc.

It is quite annoying that the lame Audioholics "review" says nothing about the only real audiophile benefit of this box, and that worries me. Other than providing an MCH analog output for those BD players that have none, the only real benefit is the possible ability to send up to 24/192 decoded LPCM to the optical outs...or at least 24/96 (since downrez'd 24/48 is the native toslink/coax limitation of the actual BD player). Somebody, please tell us what the optical out on this thing is truly capable of sending...Thanks!

Known as AU-HDMICP. Product description still implies a lot ("This HDMI audio converter also supports ALL 2-Channel PCM audio..........through its optical Toslink output") but never comes out and says up to 24/192.

• 4 months later...

I too want to de-embed the PCM stream from the HDMI output of my Oppo players (BDP-83 & DV-980H) when playing DVD-A's or SACD's. I found a couple of "de-embedders", the Atlona HD570 that emmodad mentioned and the Kramer FC-46. Both are HDCP compliant. I sent e-mails to the tech support departments of both manufacturers regarding the bit depth and sample rate I could expect from 2-ch PCM on the PCM outputs on their de-embedders when a 24/96 signal was present on the HDMI output. The tier one support of both didn't know but said they would get back with me (which they both did!). Atlona responded that yes, their PCM optical output does provide 24/96. Kramer responded that "FC-46 "doesn't care" about content of the audio stream. It simply de-embeds whatever is inside HDMI signal and sends it out.". That's good news if it's true.

I'm ordering the Kramer unit tomorrow. I decided to go with it over the Atlona because it has a SPDIF coax digital audio output and a TOSLINK optical output. The Atlona only has the optical TOSLINK. I believe you can expect lower jitter from a SPDIF coax connection, not to mention a better physical cable connection.

Hope this info is useful...

DanG

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is still interested I wanted to report my latest "adventures" in de-embedding PCM audio from HDMI streams. So.... I bought the Kramer FC-46 HDMI de-embedder and now have spent the better part of a morning trying to make this work as I envisioned. So far, so good. I'm using the Oppo DV-980H. I've consulted the manual again and have the audio setup menu configured as:

Audio Setup (menu)

EQ Type = Off

Sound Field = Off

Digital Output = PCM

Audio Tone = 00

Pro Logic II = Off

HDMI Audio = LPCM

SACD over HDMI = PCM

Dolby Digital Setup = Dual Mono = Stereo

Dynamic = DRC Off

I tried the following SACD’s

Mingus Ah Um / Charles Mingus

Columbia SADC CS65512 locks and plays @ 88.2 KHz

Bill Evans Trio – Waltz for Debby

Analog Productions CAPJ 9399 SA locks and plays @ 88.2 KHz

And the following DVD-A’s

The Beatles Love

Capital 0946 8 79810 2 3 locks and plays @ 48 KHz

Brian Bromberg – Jaco

A440 Music A440 – 4022 locks and plays @ 48 KHz

Interestingly the Brian Bromberg disc says on the front cover that it’s mastered 24bit/96khz, and it’s 5.1 Surround Sound.

I’m a bit disappointed that the DVD-A’s are locking at 48kHz only. I can only assume that HDCP may have something to do with it. I was really hoping for a higher sample rate. My DAC will do 96K.

But I have to say the 24 bit, 48kHz PCM sounds darn good. Theoretically I should be able to also capture/record these PCM bit streams to my NAS and play them back via my TC Electronic Konnekt 8 via S/PDIF coax to my DAC (or even use the DAC in the Konnekt). I’d welcome any input or experience anyone may have in this regard. Emmodad, you seem up to speed on all this :-). That’s the next trial on my list.

DanG

Hi Dan!

Are you sure that you are accessing the right tracks (groups) on the DVD-Audio discs?

I own the Beatles "Love", and there are different "versions" on this DVD:

1. The "standard" (DVD-Video) content with :

- 48khz/16(?)Bit linear PCM stereo

- DolbyDigital 5.1 Surround sound

- (maybe - i haven't checked this for now!) DTS 5.1 surround sound

2. The DVD-Audio "layer/group":

- 96khz/24Bit stereo (downmix) linear PCM (MLP coded)

- 96khz/24Bit 5.1 surround sound, linear PCM (MLP coded)

So it might be that your OPPO is only accessing the DVD-Video portion of the disc?

If so, a closer look into the manual should do the trick for you ...

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Ted, I'm not sure how you're getting 192k out of the S/PDIF jack on the 980. I can get 48K from that connection when playing DVD video discs, but when playing DVD-A discs, I get nothing from the S/PDIF output. My DAC won't lock at all. I wonder how it is that you're getting 192k from the S/PDIF output? DVD-A should put out nothing digital from that output. I'm only getting digital because I'm stripping (de-embedding) it from the HDMI stream.

Do you have a modified player or do you have some additional info you can share with me?

DanG

Hi Harald. Thanks for bringing this up. I just looked at the menu of the DVD-A disc and I don't see a place to make choices about the type of tracks/groups. And if it makes any difference, my setup is two-channel only. I don't have any surround decoding or additional channels of amp/spkrs.

Do you know of a way to choose which group of tracks to access? I'm getting the audio from the HDMI stream. I don't have a cable in the S/PDIF, digital audio output of the Oppo 980.

Another slight mystery is the bit depth of the audio de-embedded from the HDMI output. My DAC reports sample rate, but not bit depth. I'm assuming that what I'm getting is 24 bit when the DAC locks on to the de-embedded audio from the HDMI stream. Any experience you can share in this regard would be most appreciated.

DanG

Here an update:

DanG said" "Ted, I'm not sure how you're getting 192k out of the S/PDIF jack on the 980. I can get 48K from that connection when playing DVD video discs, but when playing DVD-A discs, I get nothing from the S/PDIF output. "

Well, here's something that just happened. Once I play the DVD-A disc's audio de-embedded from the HDMI, if I pull the cable from the de-embedder and put the S/PDIF cable into the Oppo's S/PDIF output the DAC will lock onto a 48k signal. This must be the 16 bit / 48K, "regular" DVD video's digital audio output.

This has me wondering what I'm really getting from the HDMI, de-embedded version from a DVD-A. 24 or 16 bit? I only own two DVD-A's so it's not a big deal for me. I own quite a few SACD's so they're of greater interest to me. The DAC does lock on to 88.2K when de-embedding the PCM from the HDMI output while plaing SACD.

It would be nice if someone else could share their experiences with this, especially if their DAC reports not only sample rate, but bit depth too.

DanG