IGNORED

Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science?

wgscott

There were a few questionable assumptions in the spirit of the posting. :) However, what would you say if I told you that some years ago I got a new preamp and asked my wife what she thought of it? Her reply was, "It sounded OK, but ever since you installed that new preamp the house has been cold."

Hint: there is a rational explanation for this.

The new preamp was so pricey you could not afford to pay the heating bill? :)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

There were a few questionable assumptions in the spirit of the posting. :) However, what would you say if I told you that some years ago I got a new preamp and asked my wife what she thought of it? Her reply was, "It sounded OK, but ever since you installed that new preamp the house has been cold."

Sure. Preamp in same room as thermostat. Stereo running warms up room. Rest of house doesn't get enough heat. Classic cause and effect :)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sure. Preamp in same room as thermostat. Stereo running warms up room. Rest of house doesn't get enough heat. Classic cause and effect :)

And here's a case similiar to what's being discussed here using speculation and presumption in an attempt to prove that someone's experience is possible. Not classic cause and effect.

And here's a case similiar to what's being discussed here using speculation and presumption in an attempt to prove that someone's experience is possible. Not classic cause and effect.

Absolutely true, and not untypical of what we do a lot of here. Some of the speculation might be called informed, and some might be, well.... ;)

To be fair, in this specific instance the speculation was invited.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

"It sounded OK, but ever since you installed that new preamp the house has been cold."

I'm not sure if I'd agree it's rational but my house frequency gets cold for awhile after I buy any type of new equipment.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Speculation is critical to the scientific process. Good support of one's hypothesis involves speculation as to under what conditions the hypothesis might be proven invalid -- and the test of these conditions is called an experiment. Similarly in a well written scientific paper, the author speculates on objections the reader might raise and hopefully deals with these in a convincing fashion.

To give a concrete example in audio terms, suppose the hypothesis is that a black box piece of electronic equipment behaves as a linear amplifier. Measurements that demonstrate this under one specific set of inputs are not enough to prove linearity. You'd need to speculate about sets of inputs that would not result in linear output and test these as well. You'd hope that you, as author, do a better job at speculation than your reader or competitor who hopes to disprove you. Now part of the testing process might involve taking the cover off the box but then you'd find components which themselves would need to be taken apart possibly ad infinitum.

Regarding whether someone's experience is possible, its always possible, it just might not be generalizable or otherwise useful to either you or me. Experiences which are generalizable to other people always need to be explained.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Not exactly correct, but good enough for full credit. :) Actually, the new preamp (a Marantz 7T that I inherited from my Grandfather) had a failed output capacitor and put out DC. My class AB poweramp was on the floor underneath the thermostat. Due to the failure, the power amp was putting constant DC into the speakers, fortunately not enough to damage them, but enough so that I heard a moderately loud "click" while disconnecting the banana plugs while swapping polarity.

I learned two things from that lesson: first, never to doubt my wife no matter how implausible her observations and second, that "systems" may be coupled in unanticipated ways. Thus were I to get credible evidence that swapping Ethernet cables at a remote download server affected sound quality I would try and track down the causality. (Whether I tried or not would depend on who provided the report. I would only do this if I believed the report came from an honest, competent and careful investigator.)

I'm not sure if I'd agree it's rational but my house frequency gets cold for awhile after I buy any type of new equipment.

Your house clearly does not approve of your buying habits.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.