IGNORED

Article: Hegel Music Systems HD12 DAC Review

Bravo, not peeking at cost or whats inside is always the right way to start an audition. May I suggest that you actually need 3 points to map a trend? If you used a third DAC that was common in the market, it would be helpful for the 99% of readers that will never approach owning a $16K reference DAC. The market seems fairly crowded in the $1-2K price range... what remains unanswered is whether the Hegel is a standout at its price point or an also ran.

Did it seem from the review that even though the reference DAC was about 10x the cost of the Hegel, the sonic advantage was not 10x? The law of diminishing returns for high end equipment rears its head again! Personally, I would save the cash on a DAC of the reference calibre and opt for the Hegel or other <$2000 DAC, seems a more prudent expenditure, computer equipment is so throw-away these days, technology lifespan is too short. Of course, my equipment budget and the type of equipment dictates some of my thinking. I saw no issue with springing for Pass amps, I saw those as a long term investment!

Jim

Yes the Hegel HD12 works with the Aries for DSD.

Thanks for the reply. What media server software were you using to stream the DSF files to the Aries? I have a Synology NAS as well and was considering using Minimserver, but I believe Minimserver converts DSF files to DoP.

Thanks for the reply. What media server software were you using to stream the DSF files to the Aries? I have a Synology NAS as well and was considering using Minimserver, but I believe Minimserver converts DSF files to DoP.

I'm using MinimServer. The Aries has an option to send DoP or native DSD, so I am guessing it does the conversion work if needed.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Bravo, not peeking at cost or whats inside is always the right way to start an audition. May I suggest that you actually need 3 points to map a trend? If you used a third DAC that was common in the market, it would be helpful for the 99% of readers that will never approach owning a $16K reference DAC. The market seems fairly crowded in the $1-2K price range... what remains unanswered is whether the Hegel is a standout at its price point or an also ran.

I'll second that. For example, how does it compare to the Benchmark DAC2?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Chris- did you do any listening with the VC set to 100? could the digital attenuation account for some of the flatness you heard in the sound?

Hi, I own an HD12, and I prefer to use it with a preamp in the signal path for exactly that reason. IMO, when I run it direct to the amp and use the Hegel's built-in digital volume control, it doesn't sound as multi-dimensional as when I run it at 100 (reference level) into my Adcom GFP-750 preamp using balanced connections and use the Adcom to control volume in the analog domain.

But of course I couldn't say to what extent use of a preamp could have closed the gap with the Berkeley reference DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
You said "I really liked the ability to turn off the front panel display completely", but it's not true on my Hegel HD12. There is such a button - DISP - on the remote control, but it doesn't work on this device (similar to MUTE for the matter).

Per the Hegel manual, the display can be shut off by pressing the "DISP" button on the remote for more than 1 second. It can be shut back on by pressing the "DISP" button on the remote again for 1 second or more. Works that way on my HD12 anyway.

Another (secret) useful display function is that the HD12 will display the signal's data rate (44, 48, 88, 96, etc) by pressing and holding down the "INPUT" button on the remote for several seconds. I find this very useful but it is not stated in the Hegel manual.