IGNORED

exaSound's new e12 DAC with DSD 256 - Smaller & just over 1 pound in weight

Please listen to the analogue-to-digital samples and vote. Analog to Digital Converter Shootout: Which Sounds Best? | Analog Planet

I invite you to compare the A/D samples from this article with the exaSound-DSD256 version of Smoke & Mirrors from NativeDSD.com: https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/smoke-mirrors-vanish

Which Smoke & Mirrors sounds best? :)

Interesting idea. But if you really want to know how good your AD conversion of an LP is, you need to do playback on the same system. That's the only way to see how "accurate" the conversion is. In this test you can only hear which conversion sounds best to you. Not the same thing.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Please listen to the analogue-to-digital samples and vote. Analog to Digital Converter Shootout: Which Sounds Best? | Analog Planet

I invite you to compare the A/D samples from this article with the exaSound-DSD256 version of Smoke & Mirrors from NativeDSD.com: https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/smoke-mirrors-vanish

Which Smoke & Mirrors sounds best? :)

I can't get past the 60hz hum and the incredibly high noise-floor on all the tracks... which my e22 lovingly reproduces in all its detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Deserved or not there's a lot of audiophile buzz and consequent marketing value for femto clocks. Given the f clock's modest marginal cost the e12 might lose more sales by not having it than the bump from a slightly lower price point. I have a usb out renderer, a separate pre with unbalanced line ins, don't use headsets and am looking for a dac in this price range. The exaSounds dacs compare specs page has me sold on the e12 until the clock discrepancy. Looking forward to ted_b's review.

pb-

Deserved or not there's a lot of audiophile buzz and consequent marketing value for femto clocks. Given the f clock's modest marginal cost the e12 might lose more sales by not having it than the bump from a slightly lower price point. I have a usb out renderer, a separate pre with unbalanced line ins, don't use headsets and am looking for a dac in this price range. The exaSounds dacs compare specs page has me sold on the e12 until the clock discrepancy. Looking forward to ted_b's review.

pb-

The e12 is the entry level DAC in the exaSound line. It's not going to have all the features that the e22 has - or it would be priced higher.

It's a good trade off. Those who want the added features and the improved clock can spend more and move up the line to the e22. Ditto for those who want Multichannel with the e28.

Yes, clearly the idea is too make a simpler DAC with less features for a much lower price. Exa claims it sounds as good as it's more expensive bretheren; the question is whether the slightly less accurate clock makes any difference in actual listening.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)