IGNORED

OT. Global WHAT?

mayhem13

You can see how some New Yorkers might not agree with current global warming models when there's seals and icebergs in New York Harbor! Why pay the $14 bridge toll to get to New Jersey today when you can walk across!

think you'll find that in the film The Day after Tomorrow it was predicted that warming would lead to New York becoming glaciated. Just make sure you pay your climate change taxes and the government will make sure everything is ok.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Fairfax County schools cancelled classes today because it is cold. This is ridiculous.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

You can see how some New Yorkers might not agree with current global warming models when there's seals and icebergs in New York Harbor! Why pay the $14 bridge toll to get to New Jersey today when you can walk across!

Here in UT, a ski resort is already closed and a couple more are on the edge. There is zero low elevation snow and the mid- and upper-elevation snowpacks are way below average. So far this month, we are running 4 degrees warmer than the previous record warm February. Where normally there is snow in my yard, bulbs are popping up. Grass fires are occurring in farm fields. The calendar insists it's February.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

think you'll find that in the film The Day after Tomorrow it was predicted that warming would lead to New York becoming glaciated.

Yes, although that film was "for entertainment purposes," they actually did a good job of looking at what the climate models were predicting and the end result is that this film may have more of a future-telling impact on the public than the Al Gore "inconvenient truth" film that was intended to be purely factual.

The combination of a "wobbly" jet stream around the north pole, plus the fact that storms in the Atlantic and Pacific are forming a bit further north means that from Washington through New England are much more likely to get pummeled with rain in summer and snow in winter, while we on the northern half of the west coast are likely to have glorious weather but no water. Just remember that warmer also means more energy and therefore over time more severe versions of whatever your getting, be that drought or deluge.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Mayhem

Global warming was an unfortunately chosen name for pr purposes. The term should be "climate change", as the predictions actually include warmer, colder,drier, and wetter weather - depending on where you live.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

We've had 70 to 80+ F weather here recently (73 F predicted for today) and it hardly ever rains. Much of my landscaping is dying off, and if I water too much, my well will go dry. The CA Central Valley is running out of water, which means the US agricultural production is going to suffer a massive hit. Enjoy the weather while you can.

Mayhem

Global warming was an unfortunately chosen name for pr purposes. The term should be "climate change", as the predictions actually include warmer, colder,drier, and wetter weather - depending on where you live.

Agreed.....and hence my post title. You can see how some less tuned to current events might conclude that 'global warming' is a sham.

......and to a degree IMO it is, in that I'm not convinced by the data that it's all a result of industrialization. Resisting change is a futile maneuver. Adapt and get on with it. Random cataclysmic events happen with far more impact and less recovering than what's being predicted. Liken it to eating organics, exercising regularly, relaxing with music and BLAMM!, a car swerves to avoid a stray and it's all over while you're shopping a sidewalk market for some Tofu. Nothing to be done, no adaptation, prediction,......just chaos.

We've had 70 to 80+ F weather here recently (73 F predicted for today) and it hardly ever rains. Much of my landscaping is dying off, and if I water too much, my well will go dry. The CA Central Valley is running out of water, which means the US agricultural production is going to suffer a massive hit. Enjoy the weather while you can.

Yeah, and -35F in Minnesota while it is +70F here too. :)

Not a lot of that is easily tied to anthropomorphic climate change, which is the problem. We don't know how much of what is causing the issues. Are we accelerating a global trend, or retarding it?

We should probably spend the next 10 years learning more about what is going on and why rather than taking economically ruinous actions now that may turn out to be totally ineffective. Or worse, push things in a direction that we don't really want to go.

Things getting a bit warmer is a whole lot less of a problem than things getting colder. You can grow more food in warm place than in places covered with a couple clicks of ice. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Nothing to be done, no adaptation, prediction,......just chaos.

There are certainly enough variables in an audio system, the home environment(s) and the listener(s) to make things somewhat less predictable and more chaotic. But there's an overall trend or "signal" that can be discerned amidst the chaos. Same for climate change.

Edit: Shorter version - weather ain't climate.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just remember that warmer also means more energy and therefore over time more severe versions of whatever your getting, be that drought or deluge.

Bingo.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

We should probably spend the next 10 years learning more about what is going on and why rather than taking economically ruinous actions now that may turn out to be totally ineffective. Or worse, push things in a direction that we don't really want to go.

Typical denial response.

Even if climate change is not predominantly man made (which is doubtful) most actions proposed are of a passive natural.

It can never be a bad thing to reduce the rape of the planet, reduce our energy usage, burn less hydrocarbons.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Seattle is also on track for the warmest winter on record by almost two degrees. The ski resorts in the Cascades are in the same boat as the ones in Utah.

I mowed my grass the day after Valentine's day, and my daffodils and flowering trees are in bloom. Definitely an early spring here.

Also...

gistemp_map_2014_withyear.jpg

NASA, NOAA Find 2014 Warmest Year in Modern Record | NASA

for some balance

2014 Was Not the 'Hottest Year on Record'. So Why Did NASA Claim It Was? - Breitbart

the criteria by which NASA declared “2014 was the hottest year on record” do not stand up to serious scientific scrutiny.

Yet the Nasa press release failed to mention this, as well as the fact that the alleged ‘record’ amounted to an increase over 2010, the previous ‘warmest year’, of just two-hundredths of a degree – or 0.02C. The margin of error is said by scientists to be approximately 0.1C – several times as much.

As a result, GISS’s director Gavin Schmidt has now admitted Nasa thinks the likelihood that 2014 was the warmest year since 1880 is just 38 per cent.

Here is Le Bon on the most important weapon in the demagogue’s armoury:

It was Napoleon, I believe, who said that there is only one figure in rhetoric of serious importance, repetition. The thing affirmed comes by repetition to fix itself in the mind in such a way that it is accepted as a demonstrated truth.

The influence of repetition on crowds is comprehensible when the power is seen which it exercises on most enlightened minds. This power is due to the fact that the repeated statement is embedded in the long run in those profound regions of our unconscious selves in which the motives of our actions are forged. At the end of a certain time we have forgotten who is the author of the repeated assertion, and we finish by believing it. To this circumstance is due the astonishing power of advertisements. When we have read a hundred, a thousand, times that X’s chocolate is the best, we imagine we have heard it said in many quarters, and we end by acquiring the certitude that such is the fact.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Typical denial response.

Even if climate change is not predominantly man made (which is doubtful) most actions proposed are of a passive natural.

It can never be a bad thing to reduce the rape of the planet, reduce our energy usage, burn less hydrocarbons.

Eloise

Except I am not a denier. Just old enough to remember when nuclear winter was the great bogeyman of the future. ;)

Seriously though, I do not think what you are saying is clear thinking. It is possible all those extra tons of carbon may be helping to stave off the next ice age. That would be a very good thing. Nobody has the facts to either prove or disprove half the wild ass theories floating around.

Besides- rape of the planet? It's not mother earth, it is a great big hunk of rock. If you want to do planetary engineering, it would be best to drop the false illusions. It survived the siberian traps eruptions, and so, just barely, did the life on the planet. Nothing all the people on the planet can do woukd equal that, including all out nulear war. Admittedly, you would not have to do one tenth that much damage to kill off all of us.

Robert A. Heinlein

for some balance

2014 Was Not the 'Hottest Year on Record'. So Why Did NASA Claim It Was? - Breitbart

the criteria by which NASA declared “2014 was the hottest year on record” do not stand up to serious scientific scrutiny.

Yet the Nasa press release failed to mention this, as well as the fact that the alleged ‘record’ amounted to an increase over 2010, the previous ‘warmest year’, of just two-hundredths of a degree – or 0.02C. The margin of error is said by scientists to be approximately 0.1C – several times as much.

As a result, GISS’s director Gavin Schmidt has now admitted Nasa thinks the likelihood that 2014 was the warmest year since 1880 is just 38 per cent.

Here is Le Bon on the most important weapon in the demagogue’s armoury:

It was Napoleon, I believe, who said that there is only one figure in rhetoric of serious importance, repetition. The thing affirmed comes by repetition to fix itself in the mind in such a way that it is accepted as a demonstrated truth.

The influence of repetition on crowds is comprehensible when the power is seen which it exercises on most enlightened minds. This power is due to the fact that the repeated statement is embedded in the long run in those profound regions of our unconscious selves in which the motives of our actions are forged. At the end of a certain time we have forgotten who is the author of the repeated assertion, and we finish by believing it. To this circumstance is due the astonishing power of advertisements. When we have read a hundred, a thousand, times that X’s chocolate is the best, we imagine we have heard it said in many quarters, and we end by acquiring the certitude that such is the fact.

That is not balance it is BS. The talk about confidence levels and margin of error are by someone who has no idea what they are or how they are used. Or by someone with an ax to grind.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

That is not balance it is BS. The talk about confidence levels and margin of error are by someone who has no idea what they are or how they are used. Or by someone with an ax to grind.

sbgk is moving up in the world on this topic. The last guy he cited has a lengthy entry in "Encyclopedia of American Loons." This one isn't in the Encyclopedia, but does get appreciative headlines like this: "Pure Fabrication, Lies and Global Warming Denial Propaganda from None Other Than Andrew Breitbart's Big Government"

Edit: Oh, also, when Breitbart, a Fox News guy, was alive, he called for climate scientist James Hansen to be executed.

Seriously though, what you are saying is not clear thinking. It is possible all those extra tons of carbon may be helping to stave off the next ice age. That would be a very goid thing. Nobody has the facts to either prove or disprove half the wild ass theories floating around.

Besides- rape of the planet? It's not mother earth, it is a great big hunk of rock. If you want to do planetary engineering, it woukd be best to drop the false illusions it is anything that can be raped. It survived the siberian traps eruptions, and so, just barely, did the life on the planet. Nothing all the people on the planet can do woykd equal that. Admittedly, you woukd not have to half that much damage to kill off all of us.

Eloise, you may take comfort in the fact that what Paul considers "clear thinking" tends to come from places like web sites bankrolled by the oil billionaire Koch Brothers.

Eloise, you may take comfort in the fact that what Paul considers "clear thinking" tends to come from places like web sites bankrolled by the oil billionaire Koch Brothers.

Eh, no. From Systems Analysts, and other people with the same kind of training. Systems are not simple things, and when you talk planetary scale systems, they are complex beyond belief.

Note that I am not saying global warming is not real, or that we should not spend money and take action about it.

I am saying that I believe it is foolish to do something, anything, just to be doing something. Before we have a clear understanding of the effects of our actions.

Not trying to fight with you guys, but you think audio is complex? Dead simple in comparison.

Robert A. Heinlein

Eh, no. From Systems Analysts, and other people with the same kind of training. Systems are not simple things, and when you talk planetary scale systems, they are complex beyond belief.

Note that I am not saying global warming is not real, or that we should not spend money and take action about it.

I am saying that I believe it is foolish to do something, anything, just to be doing something. Before we have a clear understanding of the effects of our actions.

There is greater scientific consensus regarding the causes and directionality of climate change than about gravity at the moment. Think about that.