IGNORED

What does your system (hopefully) sound like?

fritzg

What does your home system (hopefully) sound like?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've missed the actual poll off...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Don't get distracted by the song, album and artists I mentioned. That is just a bit of playfulness on my part. :-) Oh, and "Spin the Balck (sp) Circle" is supposed to be the vinyl answer in case you don't catch the reference. Can't find a way to edit the poll.

I know what my system sounds like but I don't see a suitable answer amongst the poll offerings(or maybe I'm just nog cool enough to get the references - not the first time for me).

I can tell you that my goal is to hear music reproduced with a sound that I would imagine hearing if the performers were in my living room. There are, however, many flaws in that every elusive goal, the largest being that the late 60's to early 70's was when I discovered (mostly pop) music as an individual and communal pursuit. Almost all of those recordings, of course, were made with overdubs and repeatedly bouncing tracks on a for track recorder so that what one got was an arranged reconstruction of multiple performances. How many Todd Rundgrens are in your living room when you listen to "Something/Anything"?

Beyond that, digital, for me at least, is all about the convenience.

I know what my system sounds like but I don't see a suitable answer amongst the poll offerings(or maybe I'm just nog cool enough to get the references - not the first time for me).

I can tell you that my goal is to hear music reproduced with a sound that I would imagine hearing if the performers were in my living room. There are, however, many flaws in that every elusive goal, the largest being that the late 60's to early 70's was when I discovered (mostly pop) music as an individual and communal pursuit. Almost all of those recordings, of course, were made with overdubs and repeatedly bouncing tracks on a for track recorder so that what one got was an arranged reconstruction of multiple performances. How many Todd Rundgrens are in your living room when you listen to "Something/Anything"?

Beyond that, digital, for me at least, is all about the convenience.

I'd say you would either choose live concert or original studio recording.

Mine sort of makes a very faint hiss that I can hear if my ear is a couple of inches from the speakers, but fortunately I can't detect it when I am playing music. Still, it kind of bugs me.

Mine has no hiss with ears at the tweeters, or any audible hum. If you are able to, surprisingly perhaps, eradicating that low level hiss will yield a further small audible improvement in low level HF detail and a further improvement with low level ambience. Much younger ears than mine have verified the lack of hiss from the speakers.

Many systems have greatly excessive gain though.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Well, I *do* love how Brothers in Arms sounds, whether I'm spinning vinyl or listening through the digital side of the system. The digital sounds better, but then I have more $$$ there, too (equipment and recording).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I wonder what our goal is as computer audiophiles.

My goal(s):

- music reproduction that allows me to listen for hours on end with a sustained feeling of enjoyment rather than growing fatigue

- a well integrated sound, i.e. one that doesn't have me obsessing over certain areas of the sound (when I first started buying hifi I tended to listen more to the hifi more than to the music, if you know what I mean)

- digital without any trace of harshness or grittiness

I'm pretty much there, I think, after 30 years of tinkering!

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

My goal(s):

- music reproduction that allows me to listen for hours on end with a sustained feeling of enjoyment rather than growing fatigue

- a well integrated sound, i.e. one that doesn't have me obsessing over certain areas of the sound (when I first started buying hifi I tended to listen more to the hifi more than to the music, if you know what I mean)

- digital without any trace of harshness or grittiness

I'm pretty much there, I think, after 30 years of tinkering!

You got it!!! The only one so far who embraced the question as to our goal is in this quest for "good sound".

Thanks.

Like a drop of rain on a sun lit spring day!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

soundsss like a really high-end system. are you using shunyata cables?

cheers.

That avatar would be way cooler if it was an animated gif showing a series of frames as wookie or whatever that thing is gnaws off the finger, with arterial bleeding for additional realism.