IGNORED

How does the quality of the DAC in the iPhone 6 compare with the 5?

Ajax

Unfortunately, the iPhone music app is anything but convenient. If you have lots of albums for one band (I have tons of pearl jam albums for instance) you have to scroll through every song to get from album to album. Terrible U/X. I had luck using the free Picky app. Much better, though my bad experience using the iPhone music app led me to Spotify and then Tidal when using my phone for music.

On older iOS devices (the newest that I tried this experiment on was a 4s) I found that the sample-rate conversion 44.1 -> 48 being done in music playback was very far from perfect. When I converted files to 48kHz offline before loading on the iPhone, the improvement in sound quality was huge, much bigger than differences I would expect from changes in the DAC chip from older to newer models.

On older iOS devices (the newest that I tried this experiment on was a 4s) I found that the sample-rate conversion 44.1 -> 48 being done in music playback was very far from perfect. When I converted files to 48kHz offline before loading on the iPhone, the improvement in sound quality was huge, much bigger than differences I would expect from changes in the DAC chip from older to newer models.

Jay-dub,

Interesting information. Anywhere is description iPhone's audio engine? May be on Apple's site?

Are you used AIFF?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I used ALAC. Never found any detailed information on the filters in Apple audio engines, only general descriptions and programmers' APIs.

Thanks for information.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Does the 6plus have a better dac than the 6? I'm looking for a phone to maximize Tidal SQ, the two Android phones I've tried so far, Huawei Y300 (good) and Oppo N3 (better), sound more natural than the iphone6 which sounds synthetic in comparison.

iPhone 6 plus dac is better then any other phone's . Period .

It is a big improvement over the iPhone phone and blows away the Android phones I tried . Haven't tried the Sony phones .

Does the 6plus have a better dac than the 6? I'm looking for a phone to maximize Tidal SQ, the two Android phones I've tried so far, Huawei Y300 (good) and Oppo N3 (better), sound more natural than the iphone6 which sounds synthetic in comparison.

No it doesn't.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Interesting article in April edition of Stereophile wherein John Atkinson gives a glowing review of the Pono Player.

The following quotes stand out for me:

" I used it for several days music listening, plugging its Line output into pair of Audio Engine A2+ (powered) Loudspeakers. Wow! Both the Mile Garson Trio and Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival recordings mentioned earlier sounded better than you might expect from a system costing just $648: a clean clear open treble, natural midrange and in what bass these tiny speakers can produce, excellent low frequency definition".

"But the real test was to use the Pono Player as the front end in my reference system, plugging it into the Ayre KX-R Twenty Amplifier and replacing the QB-9 D/A converter ($3,250). Again, I was impressed ... the Pono Player readily resolved the singer's multitrack backing voices and got right the unique sounds of the muted trumpets and trombones, though I did feel the bass sounded a touch wolly. Even so returning to the mac mini/QB9 after day using the Pono as the only digital source in my rig, I didn't feel I had missed much music.

"The Pono Player is a well engineered, high performance, portable player that is equally at home in a conventional high end audio system ... I bought the review sample".

Apologies if this article has been previously referred to but I feel this review, together with the positive comments from other CA members (Jud et al), confirms the Pono player provides excellent sound quality and is here to stay.

Connect the Pono into a pair of active speakers such as the Adam A7s, which are available 2nd hand for around $700, and you would have an amazing desk top system for around $1,000. Or you could simply plug it into an existing home theatre system. With its 8 hour battery you could obviously also take it with you in the car or in a sail boat and simply plug it into the AUX input

i.e. the convenience that is craved by young people is now readily available with excellent sound quality at an affordable price.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for their help and input. I copied this quote below from Ken Rockwell's enthusiastic review of the iPhone 6 Plus that Sceptic kindly provided a link to.

My thought is that I should start out with the iPhone 6 and then if I need further sound improvement to purchase the iFi Micro or Nano. Anyone know of any quality differences between I'm not sure of the differences between the 6 and 6+ besides the screen and battery size?

"I tested a Beyerdynamic A200p DAC and headphone amp at the same time I had the iPhone 6 Plus in my audio lab, and the iPhone 6 Plus beat it! The iPhone 6 Plus has less distortion, flatter frequency response and much better ability to drive low-impedance headphones with low distortion than the dedicated portable amp!

While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than many consumer DACs.

The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! Of course an iPhone and a plug-in-the-wall professional DAC are intended for entirely different pupposes, but if the 1 volt RMS output (6 dB less than good outboard DACs and CD players) and 3.5mm jack do it for you, there's no reason not to use the iPhone's output for critical listening.

The iPhone 6 is a better analog audio source than many audiophile products, but the cottage industry created around selling you DACs and other accessories you don't need doesn't want you to know. Remember that accessory dealers, manufacturers and publications that accept advertising from these makers have a vested interest in trying to create FUD about the iPhone's audio quality. Don't beleive them and listen for yourself.

Apple has more smart engineers and far more resources than any other audio specialty company. It makes perfect sense that the iPhone output should be spectacular.

No longer do you need to waste money on DACs and headphone amplifiers, at least for most portable (low-impedance) headphones. Save your money and spend it on more music instead".

Very compelling recommendation as I own the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

I am using an iPhone 5s and apparently according to iFixit has the same DAC as the iPhone 6 and 6+ and I have to say it sounds very transparent, fast, powerful and distortion free, even with lower impedance headphones. I can hear super high frequencies on this phone. The 5s amplifier had the lowest voltage drop when a 16 ohm load is connected than any smartphone I have tested including the likes of the htc m8. The iPhone 6 I would assume would have the same sound signature since they use the same audio chips

Hi All,

I thought the following article maybe of interest

ARCAM adds headphone AMP & DAC & Battery pack to iPhone 6

Arcam MusicBoost adds a headphone amp, DAC and battery pack to iPhone 6 | What Hi-Fi?

Kind regards,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Well, it all kinda of sums up for me - and leaves me with a rather disturbing conclusion. That would be that an awful lot of high end gear is pure snake oil, at least for most people. It would also seem a lot of audio reviewers are caught up in the film flam as well. Sadly. :(

My iPhone definitely sounds better than a Pono player to me, which rather consistently gets me attacked by some folks here. Makes me feel a bit like Bill Scott's favorite Unicorn, but with the horn part more like an ingrown toenail. (*sigh*)

Pono costs less ($389) than an iPhone ($649)

The iTunes Music Store has much more content than Pono, though none of it is at high resolution right now.

The iPhone streams audio from multiple sources, as well as video, hundreds of thousands of applications, camera, and oh yes, a phone. The Pono does not.

The Dac in the Pono is from Ayre, but has limited power and other factors being in a mobile device.

The Dac in the iPhone is a custom Cirrus Logic chip, and has same mobile device limitations.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, it all kinda of sums up for me - and leaves me with a rather disturbing conclusion. That would be that an awful lot of high end gear is pure snake oil, at least for most people. It would also seem a lot of audio reviewers are caught up in the film flam as well. Sadly. :(

My iPhone definitely sounds better than a Pono player to me, which rather consistently gets me attacked by some folks here. Makes me feel a bit like Bill Scott's favorite Unicorn, but with the horn part more like an ingrown toenail. (*sigh*)

Pono costs less ($389) than an iPhone ($649)

The iTunes Music Store has much more content than Pono, though none of it is at high resolution right now.

The iPhone streams audio from multiple sources, as well as video, hundreds of thousands of applications, camera, and oh yes, a phone. The Pono does not.

The Dac in the Pono is from Ayre, but has limited power and other factors being in a mobile device.

The Dac in the iPhone is a custom Cirrus Logic chip, and has same mobile device limitations.

Perhaps this is the appropriate juncture to point out that in my little listening test toward the beginning of the year, you were the single person out of approximately 40 not to be able to identify two separate guitars from each other in the 30 second test file, listening with your iPhone. The 39 who were able to get it right were listening with the flim flam snake oil. :D

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Perhaps this is the appropriate juncture to point out that in my little listening test toward the beginning of the year, you were the single person out of approximately 40 not to be able to identify two separate guitars from each other in the 30 second test file, listening with your iPhone. The 39 who were able to get it right were listening with the flim flam snake oil. :D

As I said, constantly attacked. (grin)

If I remember correctly, you asked for which channel each guitar was in, but didn't provide any reference for what each guitar sounded like? I believe I was able to tell that there were two separate guitars, but, without a reference, was unable to identify which guitar was which. Or perhaps not, I don't remember.

On the other paw, I don't hear differences from identical digital files either, unless they are played on different playback systems. (shrug) Your point? That because I don't agree Pono is better because it contains an audiophile friendly DAC I am deaf? Or that because I choose the more expensive device (an iPhone) I am showing audiophile bias towards more expensive goods?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi All,

I thought the following article maybe of interest

ARCAM adds headphone AMP & DAC & Battery pack to iPhone 6

Arcam MusicBoost adds a headphone amp, DAC and battery pack to iPhone 6 | What Hi-Fi?

Kind regards,

Ajax

Ajax have you heard anyone who has tried that thing? Since it is a British thing i wonder if Eloise has heard any scuttlebutt surrounding the use of it. Sounds like a great idea...(no pun intended)

I have to admit to selling my Pono player when i moved from an iphone 4s to a 6. I found the sound of the iphone 6 Dac to be surprisingly good. I use a decent pair of Shure IEMs that can be pretty revealing. Regarding the apple standard player i have ditched that and use the rather excellent Denon app which i much refer. I really like the Eq in it which can be tailored to suit the source you are using, so Car, Kitchen Bluetooth, Headphone and can hold that preference. It is a really neat feature and sonically very pleasing.

The Arcam device looks like a winner, I might quibble that it does not have the standard apple plug out, looks like a USB Micro B, but i will be getting my hands on one in the New Year!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

So Jud in your opinion is the ability to play higher resolution files or the superior amplification circuitry (or a combination of both) that you feel makes the Pono superior to the Apple iPhone?

As I said, constantly attacked. (grin)

If I remember correctly, you asked for which channel each guitar was in, but didn't provide any reference for what each guitar sounded like? I believe I was able to tell that there were two separate guitars, but, without a reference, was unable to identify which guitar was which. Or perhaps not, I don't remember.

On the other paw, I don't hear differences from identical digital files either, unless they are played on different playback systems. (shrug) Your point? That because I don't agree Pono is better because it contains an audiophile friendly DAC I am deaf? Or that because I choose the more expensive device (an iPhone) I am showing audiophile bias towards more expensive goods?

-Paul

You couldn't identify two separate guitars and said it sounded like a single vaguely located instrument, if I recall correctly.

I can provide a link so the rest of you can judge the difficulty (or otherwise) of the task.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So Jud in your opinion is the ability to play higher resolution files or the superior amplification circuitry (or a combination of both) that you feel makes the Pono superior to the Apple iPhone?

Heck if I know. If I had to guess I'd attribute it to the digital filter design and Charles Hansen's analog engineering skills.

You couldn't identify two separate guitars and said it sounded like a single vaguely located instrument, if I recall correctly.

I can provide a link so the rest of you can judge the difficulty (or otherwise) of the task.

Your probably right, though I admit, it would be fun to that again. Could you provide a short reference sound for each guitar first though please? I do seem to remember being confused over trying to identify which guitar was which from the photos.

In any case, did anyone else identify it correctly from a portable player, or are you sure everyone else used their main systems? :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

It's also possible that the Pono is indeed better but is revealing things in the recordings which are not pleasant. I had that experience with HD800 headphones. They are so good they make most recordings sound awful.

That is a very good thought indeed. I have ran up on a few components that were utterly ruthless in that way.

Robert A. Heinlein