IGNORED

Advice on Genelec SAM Speakers

Hello!

I am thinking about buying a pair of 8351 speakers. My room is 10 foot by 16 foot with 12 foot ceiling.

I'm a little confused what is meant by a near field monitor. Will these perform at their best if i am sitting 10 - 12 feet from each speaker?

Has anybody heard them yet? Do they need a subwoofer in a room my size?

Are there other Genelec speakers that I should consider, given the room size and that i want a SAM system.

Thanks for any advice,

Nicholas

Nearfield monitor is what it suggests designed primarily for studio production and used or listened to in close proximity to speakers. As opposed to midfield which is designed to be listened to midfield further back from them. Generally both are ok for home situations. I've run midfield Tannoy monitors for 20 years and only just changed them to Boulder MK1's. You would need a subwoofer to augment the bass preferably two. You can start with one though and add another later. I've not heard the Genelec subs but personally own 2 x JLAudio 12's which are excellent. The Genelecs have an excellent studio reputation and a number of home users also use them. I would suggest the ones you chose would be ok for your lounge with an 8" woofer but 10" is better. They may give you a home trial.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nicholas

The Genelec SAM series offers fidelity way beyond the price tag.

The price is that you have to get a little involved so you can supply a digital signal (S/PDIF or preferably AES/EBU).

100% loss free (up to 300 ft.) and super cheap speaker cables are just one of the bonuses ;-)

I have not heard the 8351's yet, but my surround rig is based on the big brother 8260's as you can see below.

The 8351's are way powerful enough for your room or any reasonable sized room in a home or studio.

I have demoed my rig in a 100m2 (1100 ft2) room and was running below -20dB !!!

Specs:

8260 - 29 Hz - 20 kHz (± 1 dB) / 23 Hz - 40 kHz (- 6 dB)

8351 - 38 Hz - 20 kHz (± 1.5 dB) / 32 Hz - 35 kHz (- 6 dB)

I would go with the 8351's without sub and not think twice about it.

Bass extension on my 8260's measure to 19hz (-3dB) in my living room after AutoCal room calibration.

I guesstimate the 8351's bass extension to measure to 28hz (-3dB).

Remember that this is at linear frequency response with nothing bloated and nothing hyped in your own room !!!

Only you can tell if that is sufficient.

I think you will find 8240's with a 7270 sub quite sufficient in your room.

I also think that the 8351's with no sub would be my prime choice mainly because of the brilliant coaxial mid/high driver.

Pick your poison, you can't miss with the Genelec SAM series.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Or come audition my 8260's & 8250's should you pass through Copenhagen.

Peter Ring

Resident Genelec fanboy

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

• 3 months later...

I would rather not have a laptop permanently connected to my hifi. Once the system has been calibrated and the settings stored in the speakers, can the wireless Genelec volume control work with just the speakers and the GLM 2.0 unit?

One other question do Genelec make speakers stands for the 8351?

Thanks.

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas

The Genelec SAM series offers fidelity way beyond the price tag.

The price is that you have to get a little involved so you can supply a digital signal (S/PDIF or preferably AES/EBU).

100% loss free (up to 300 ft.) and super cheap speaker cables are just one of the bonuses ;-)

I have not heard the 8351's yet, but my surround rig is based on the big brother 8260's as you can see below.

The 8351's are way powerful enough for your room or any reasonable sized room in a home or studio.

I have demoed my rig in a 100m2 (1100 ft2) room and was running below -20dB !!!

Specs:

8260 - 29 Hz - 20 kHz (± 1 dB) / 23 Hz - 40 kHz (- 6 dB)

8351 - 38 Hz - 20 kHz (± 1.5 dB) / 32 Hz - 35 kHz (- 6 dB)

I would go with the 8351's without sub and not think twice about it.

Bass extension on my 8260's measure to 19hz (-3dB) in my living room after AutoCal room calibration.

I guesstimate the 8351's bass extension to measure to 28hz (-3dB).

Remember that this is at linear frequency response with nothing bloated and nothing hyped in your own room !!!

Only you can tell if that is sufficient.

I think you will find 8240's with a 7270 sub quite sufficient in your room.

I also think that the 8351's with no sub would be my prime choice mainly because of the brilliant coaxial mid/high driver.

Pick your poison, you can't miss with the Genelec SAM series.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Or come audition my 8260's & 8250's should you pass through Copenhagen.

Peter Ring

Resident Genelec fanboy

Once the system has been calibrated and the settings stored in the speakers, can the wireless Genelec volume control work with just the speakers and the GLM 2.0 unit?

You must have a computer running the GLM software to adjust volume - wireless Genelec volume control or not.

One computer can act as both signal source as well as run GLM, or you can run two separate if that is more convenient.

One other question do Genelec make speakers stands for the 8351?

Genelec has a line of accessories including stands and wall mounts - see the catalogue.

The catalogue needs an update and does not cover 8351's (same size as 8050/8250 but heavier).

I would check with your local Genelec distributor or ask at the Genelec community forum (Genelec Community under Product registration).

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure with GLM 2.0?

According to the manual: -

The hardware level controller can also be used for controlling level when the computer is detachedfrom the GLM adapter. When this is done, the GLM adapter must be powered with a standard USBpower supply. The voltage output of the USB supply is 5 VDC.

To apply an external USB power supply, remove the USB cable from the computer and attach thecable to a USB power supply.

Are you sure with GLM 2.0?

According to the manual: -

The hardware level controller can also be used for controlling level when the computer is detachedfrom the GLM adapter.

When this is done, the GLM adapter must be powered with a standard USBpower supply. The voltage output of the USB supply is 5 VDC.

To apply an external USB power supply, remove the USB cable from the computer and attach thecable to a USB power supply.

Correct!

You can operate GLM 2.0 without the aid of a computer.

Sorry I had missed that - still waiting to make my GLM 2.0 units upgrade.

Though it is not an issue for music, I was wondering if anyone knew what the latency of the GLM system is.

I've been thinking about either some GLM speakers or perhaps Devialet Phantoms (once we get a proper review from a publication like Stereophile) but I recently read that the latency of the Phantom system is over 200ms which is totally unsuitable for anything AV related, instead of just playing music.

I assume that the Genelec speakers have considerably less latency since they are proper studio monitors, but if they're applying DSP, it's probably introducing some kind of delay.

Though it is not an issue for music, I was wondering if anyone knew what the latency of the GLM system is.

I've been thinking about either some GLM speakers or perhaps Devialet Phantoms (once we get a proper review from a publication like Stereophile) but I recently read that the latency of the Phantom system is over 200ms which is totally unsuitable for anything AV related, instead of just playing music.

I assume that the Genelec speakers have considerably less latency since they are proper studio monitors, but if they're applying DSP, it's probably introducing some kind of delay.

AFAIK Genelec SAM latency due to DSP room compensation is approx. 3ms or equal to sitting an additional meter from the screen.

Distance compensation for monitors (if not on a perfect circle) will add to that.

Should not be a problem!

You can search for answers on the Genelec Community Forum.

Didn't find an answer?

Ask your questions in the appropriate thread and get an answer direct from Genelec employees.

(Notice they are on vacation this week).

• 3 months later...