IGNORED

Who Owns A Sonore Signature Rendu?

Thanks again for your feedback.

My DAC doesn't have I2S and I have no plans of upgrading my DAC. I just have USB and Coax input.

I guess my only concern is if the SSR via coax would still be better than another streamer or CAPS over USB into my DAC.

I hope the SSR magic is not lost over SPDIF.

And I too found the Aires thin sounding.

The Aries was used with the upgraded lpsu? Which output?

Cheers

The Aries was used with the upgraded lpsu? Which output?

Cheers

I heard the Aires with LPSU and usb out to the Auralic dac.

Let me clarify.. I like the sound of the Aires. However it didn't 'wow' me.

When I heard the Antipodes server, it 'wowed' me but that is around $8k so it should.

I guess I am looking for a something a bit more than the the Aires. This doesn't mean Aires is bad, far from it, but I want more ;)

Exactly. I really, really wanted to purchase the SSR. It took me a while to make the hard decision to drop essentially $3k on it, but after reading the comments by Chris, and Ted, I decided I HAD to have the sound quality offered by the SSR for my "retirement" system. However, the fact that my new, and very expensive DAC, which was an unexpected gift, isn't compatible with I2S leaves me painfully unable to go with the option I truly wanted.

Ted mentioned "It's quite an amazing sounding piece via I2S, and not too shabby via SPDIF either, but it's piece de resistance is the John Swenson-designed I2S implementation." Sure the SPDIF output may be okay, but spending that kind of money to purchase an expensive piece of equipment when you can't make use of it's strongest asset makes no sense, unfortunately. So now I have to come up with another option, and all of the other ones available are disappointing, given how much I wanted the SSR's sonic quality.

JC

Hi JC

I agree using SSR via the I2S output would be the best option howver I am sure SPDIF would be good too.

On Chris's review of the SSR he did not use the I2S and only used the SPDIF out into multiple systems. His words on the SSR via SPDIF were "Sonically the Signature Series Rendu is as good or better than the best sources I’ve heard, including my reference music server the Aurender W20, SOtM servers, all the CAPS servers, and the Auralic Aries."

So as per Chris, even via SPDIF it is better than anything else he has used.

Hello,

i have an external hard-drive shared on my local network (not a NAS), could SSR access it via Samba setting and play tracks?

Not sure. But I think the SSR needs some software like Minimserver running on the NAS. Or you 'send' music to it using Jriver on your computer. I guess you make Jriver read the External HDD.

Last question, is SSR a upnp renderer?

Yes

read above

Maybe not. We all tend to get caught up in reading reviews and then thinking that we are missing something. I auditioned speakers last year much more expensive than mine that I liked a lot less, but from the reviews I was sure that they were much better than mine.

It's also possible that the SSR is superb over SPDIF and you won't be able to beat it, and that the improvement over I2S is not so great as it seems to be from the review. If you like the sound of your DAC, it's very possible the combo you have now might be better than a different I2S capable DAC with the Sonore.

If you really want to know, you could probably manage to get a hold of an I2S capable DAC for audition and compare to your setup.Your DAC certainly isn't cheap, and if you do decide another DAC over I2S is superior, then probably you could sell/trade your DAC for an I2S capable one. I think there are some I2S capable DACs that cost less than yours. But I still think you might find that the combo of your DAC and SSR over SPDIF is as good or better than many alternatives.

Exactly. I really, really wanted to purchase the SSR. It took me a while to make the hard decision to drop essentially $3k on it, but after reading the comments by Chris, and Ted, I decided I HAD to have the sound quality offered by the SSR for my "retirement" system. However, the fact that my new, and very expensive DAC, which was an unexpected gift, isn't compatible with I2S leaves me painfully unable to go with the option I truly wanted.

Ted mentioned "It's quite an amazing sounding piece via I2S, and not too shabby via SPDIF either, but it's piece de resistance is the John Swenson-designed I2S implementation." Sure the SPDIF output may be okay, but spending that kind of money to purchase an expensive piece of equipment when you can't make use of it's strongest asset makes no sense, unfortunately. So now I have to come up with another option, and all of the other ones available are disappointing, given how much I wanted the SSR's sonic quality.

JC

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The SSR:

* USB? Correct, no USB; but for good reason...they couldn't use an off the shelf and get this sq. If Jesus and company are going to build a USB Rendu from the ground up and it will be 2-3X the price of the SSR most likely....and probably 1-2 years away. They want to deliver the appropriate sq and it will cost them (and you). (Note: this is all silly speculation, other than the fact that Jesus was not pleased with any off the shelf USB chips for Rendu).

You perfectly describe an Aries. Buy an Aries. I have one; it's fine. It's no SSR, though. :)

I remain skeptical about USB; but looking forward to try...

It seems that USB continues to be prone to induce some noise in the DAC's (more or less depending on the source, usb cables, etc- too many variables); at least that is my possible explanation for hearing so many different and opposing opinions about SQ of, say, the USB connection of the Aries (in my experience, lacking definition, too rounded and polite sound).

So I would like to know from Jesus, if your assertion is correct or not. They have the sotm mini server with wonderful functionality and I wonder if they consider it to have a lot of room to improvement to be at the level of a signature rendu...

His words on the SSR via SPDIF were "Sonically the Signature Series Rendu is as good or better than the best sources I’ve heard, including my reference music server the Aurender W20, SOtM servers, all the CAPS servers, and the Auralic Aries."

From the Aries review "will say the Aries is as good as or better than all other sources I’ve had in my system. Whether it was a CAPS or a turnkey music server, the Aries was equal or better in all sonic respects. It’s incredibly tough to be a jack of all trades and a master of all trades, but the Aries comes as close as any component I’ve yet heard."

remarkably similar language...each have a high mark from Chris.

It would be interesting if Jesus would chime in on this point. I did write Sonore a couple of months ago and ask them if there were any plans to build a "Signature" Orbiter (usb). They replied that there were not any.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

It would be interesting if Jesus would chime in on this point. I did write Sonore a couple of months ago and ask them if there were any plans to build a "Signature" Orbiter (usb). They replied that there were not any.

And there aren't currently. Jesus told me that if they were to do that they would have to build USB from the ground up cuz nothing, USB chip-wise, they have heard beats what they've done previously. So that next step, a Signature Orbiter, would clearly be bigger $$ than a Sig Rendu..I'm sure of that.

Jesus and Adrian are SOtM dealers/distributor but I stand by their own Sonore brand more than SOtM. They have some, but little, say over what SOtM builds, so just because the SOtM USB products, like their servers, exist doesn't mean they are at the level of the Rendu series.

Over the next couple of days I am going to try and compare, via both Hugo and DS, the SSR SPDIF vs CAPS V3 USB (dual pc, 3rd party cards, etc) and vs Aries USB. The max'd out CAPS will give it a run but I doubt my Aries will.

Over the next couple of days I am going to try and compare, via both Hugo and DS, the SSR SPDIF vs CAPS V3 USB (dual pc, 3rd party cards, etc) and vs Aries USB. The max'd out CAPS will give it a run but I doubt my Aries will.

That will be an interesting test.

Wonder if you could also try the Aries using it's SPDIF...(versus it's own USB and versus SSR SPDIF)...I am sure this would be interesting to some prospective buyers...

That will be an interesting test.

Wonder if you could also try the Aries using it's SPDIF...(versus it's own USB and versus SSR SPDIF)...I am sure this would be interesting to some prospective buyers...

I have, and it's clearly the SSR. As I mentioned a few times, the Aries is much more lightweight, with less tonality, body and heft. The new firmware gets it closer but not close enough.

I have, and it's clearly the SSR. As I mentioned a few times, the Aries is much more lightweight, with less tonality, body and heft. The new firmware gets it closer but not close enough.

Hi Ted_b,

Did you know how the Aries SPDIF is routed? If the signal starts as USB first and is then translated to AES perhaps that explains why some prefer USB output, especially with the Berkeley Alpha USB-SPDIF converter.

Have you ever opened the Aries box and physically unplugged the display and wifi antenna; unnecessary noise potentials that are clear benefits of the SSR for pure sonics?

Cheers

No, It's not my box. It is Auralic's demo. The "is SPDIF a conversion from USB" has been asked but I forget or don;t know the answer, frankly. Let's search those threads. Meet back here.

Thanks Ted.

As someone who's opinion I value.... I can't wait.

:)

Maybe not. We all tend to get caught up in reading reviews and then thinking that we are missing something. I auditioned speakers last year much more expensive than mine that I liked a lot less, but from the reviews I was sure that they were much better than mine.

It's also possible that the SSR is superb over SPDIF and you won't be able to beat it, and that the improvement over I2S is not so great as it seems to be from the review. If you like the sound of your DAC, it's very possible the combo you have now might be better than a different I2S capable DAC with the Sonore.

If you really want to know, you could probably manage to get a hold of an I2S capable DAC for audition and compare to your setup.Your DAC certainly isn't cheap, and if you do decide another DAC over I2S is superior, then probably you could sell/trade your DAC for an I2S capable one. I think there are some I2S capable DACs that cost less than yours. But I still think you might find that the combo of your DAC and SSR over SPDIF is as good or better than many alternatives.

Its not just any i2s, its i2s hdmi with the PS Audio pinout standard.

Ted,

I seem to recall you mentioning that you had some form of commerciel relationship with Sonore. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,

WDW

Ted,

I seem to recall you mentioning that you had some form of commerciel relationship with Sonore. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,

WDW

No, wdw, I do not have a commercial relationship with Sonore, other than as a customer. I own several things Jesus has sold me, for good reason. He and I also coordinate his DSD database (and have added Brian Moura and Cookie Marenco for help) but that project is pure volunteer..it's a damn spreadsheet for all to use. Appreciate the distrust, though.

Sorry..no distrust intended. Commercial relationships should be disclosed and I was mistaken. My apologies.

Wdw

No, wdw, I do not have a commercial relationship with Sonore, other than as a customer. I own several things Jesus has sold me, for good reason. He and I also coordinate his DSD database (and have added Brian Moura and Cookie Marenco for help) but that project is pure volunteer..it's a damn spreadsheet for all to use. Appreciate the distrust, though.

A good perspective, Firedog. I do love my DAC. I will try to take that into account.

JC

A good perspective, Firedog. I do love my DAC. I will try to take that into account.

JC

I am close with John Swenson and I know the extraordinary effort he put into making the S/PDIF output of the SSR board the best it could possibly be. Getting S/PDIF to be really good is actually much harder than delivering a good LVDS I2S. There is much more "art" in the former than in the latter. Someone should put the SSR up against the Bekeley Alpha USB if you want to hear just how good a job John did with this piece.

But yes, there is no getting around the fact that I2S is a vastly better way to go. DAC serves as clock master, you don't have stupid S/PDIF transceivers on both sides, you don't have impedance issues, etc.

By the way, a great S/PDIF input is even harder to do than an S/PDIF output. For an example of the former, take a look at the new Bottlehead DAC. Another of John's feats--one that took several years to get finished and into production (full disclosure: I'm a bit biased about the BH DAC as John and I tuned the filters for its FPGA in my room last year.)

Its not just any i2s, its i2s hdmi with the PS Audio pinout standard.

Yes, of course. And that puts the Wyred DACs, for example, right in the category I was referring to. He could try one of those (even the upscale model) over I2S and compare to his DAC over SPDIF. If he prefers the Wyred he could probably sell his DAC and have more than enough to buy the Wyred DAC. I think there's a good chance he will think his DAC with the SSR over SPDIF sounds better. If that's the case he doesn't have to be very concerned that he is missing out by not having an I2S capable DAC.

Obviously there are some much more expensive DACs with I2S he could try. But I was trying to get across the point to him that possibly the quality of his DAC is more important that the input format is feeding it from his SSR.