IGNORED

Does a better power supply matter for NAS media server

davide256

Whats your experience with after market power supply upgrade for NAS?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is a real "Must Do"

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

Possible that a NAS with a quality PS injects less noise back into the AC, and thus does have a positive effect on the SQ?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

the "bad gas theorem" applies in my mind to all but the most robustly manufactured products... products designed to operate on "clean fuel" have performance anomalies on "dirty fuel". The question is, are there enough that have tried this to draw a conclusion or is this tried by so few that we have no means to determine. If too few have tried this may hopefully drive some additional experimentation to reach a valid conclusion.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Possible that a NAS with a quality PS injects less noise back into the AC, and thus does have a positive effect on the SQ?

I understand the logic. If I follow this line of reasoning, we should turn off our refrigerators when we listen to music and, for those of us living in condos, we should ask our neighbours to do likewise.

I understand the logic. If I follow this line of reasoning, we should turn off our refrigerators when we listen to music and, for those of us living in condos, we should ask our neighbours to do likewise.
Sad but true... that's why Furman and PSAudio are successful in selling power regeneration solutions to feed audio equipment

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

hmm, for network performance, what got better?

I'm sorry, that was unclear. The WD NAS was worse in every regard as a NAS than my normal equipment, power supply not withstanding. Totally recommend avoiding those things, as they are pretty much useless. (*sigh*)

And that is, in part, arrogance and elitism on my part, so take it with a large grain of salt.

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My experience is quite different from Paul's. I've recently went from 2 external Oyen Minipro FW drives to a WD My Cloud EX2 suedo NAS--much quieter (music wise, the Oyen's are plenty quiet mechanically) and overall SQ has definitely improved.

Thus, I wouldn't take any 1 single opinion as an absolute. While sharing our experiences/opinions can be quite helpful, it's important that each of our systems, equipment, rooms & tastes differ.

Sad but true... that's why Furman and PSAudio are successful in selling power regeneration solutions to feed audio equipment

A DIY person could try using a double adaptor for the offending refrigerator, where a V.D.R (voltage Dependent Resistor) is wired across A & N in the double adaptor.

A 275V rated VDR should suffice for a 230V AC mains supply.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I'd say if you were concerned with system stability, component life and data corruption, a better performing power supply is a good investment.

Thanks, Mayhem. It has not occurred to me that a better power supply could increase the reliability of a NAS, but intuitively, it makes sense. I have a Synology 411slim+, and I am beginning to become concerned about its longevity. I have noticed its fan is now audible, a change that has occurred over the last six months.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Not that I am versed in NAS, but I blow air in my PC about once a year and it helps a lot to maintain the fans quieter... But at some point, the fan(s) may need to be replaced...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can find access to the fan.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Just a word of caution (just in case)... I heard that some people used a vacuum cleaner for the task and have "burned" the circuitry of the component they were trying to clean (from static charges)... I use a compressor that I have to do this... It can be tricky... And it you try it, be cautious about the pressure you apply... Better start with low pressure first, not to break a part... I would not use a "tuner cleaner" spray for this - some are harmful for plastics...

Alain

Just a word of caution (just in case)... I heard that some people used a vacuum cleaner for the task and have "burned" the circuitry of the component they were trying to clean (from static charges)... I use a compressor that I have to do this... It can be tricky... And it you try it, be cautious about the pressure you apply... Better start with low pressure first, not to break a part... I would not use a "tuner cleaner" spray for this - some are harmful for plastics...

Thanks. I appreciate the caveats and tips.

Jim