IGNORED

Would you guys buy one of this cable

IQ_AV

You are reading beyond the post, I was identifying the sources of noise in a typical household.

1 1/2 and myself have disagreements in some other areas, but I have yet to find a post by him in this area, which is his area of expertise, that I could find fault with.

Luckily, 230V 50 HZ countries don't appear to suffer as badly in this area as many U.S. members with their lower voltage 60HZ mains supply.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi Alex,

A lot of gear I know are under r-core transformers. The good ones are from the UK and some others are hand build for the same factory that manufactures the final product.

Roch

Hi Roch

I would like to use them more, but at around $50 each (typically) for even a 30VA model, plus shipping, as well as up to 6 weeks delivery times for most of them from Asian sources, I end up using toroidal transformers which I can buy over the counter from stores around 10 minutes driving time distant.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

George

I said nothing about RF/EMI getting into the amplifier .Correctly chosen Snubbers help to prevent interaction between the rectifier diodes, transformer and the mains cable, which greatly reduces wideband RF/EMI garbage getting back into the mains and also helps to prevent transformer resonances .

If you want the full explanation, I suggest that you PM John Swenson.

Alex

I wasn't talking specifically about RF/EMI either. I was talking about all of the garbage that seems to ride on our mains supply these days. Of course, it's worse in urban areas than is rural areas, but it's pretty much everywhere. The audio component (whatever it is, amp, preamp, disc player, DAC, tuner, tape deck, etc.) needs squeeky-clean DC. I have found that most high-end devices' power supplies provide that. But I am skeptical of "wall-warts" and have measured pretty noisy DC from many of them. That's why I recommend that if you buy something like a USB to SPDIF converter, a Phono preamp, or even a DAC that comes with a wall-wart but offere a better quality PS at extra cost, that it would behoove the buyer to spring for the optional upgraded power supply. I myself use several Lambda and HP bench supplies that I bought from a surplus store that was going out of business to power most of my wall-wart powered devices. You can measure that improvement as well as hear it!

INCOMPLETE SCIENCE ! Much depends on the power supply area of the device itself.

It depends upon how clean the DC is going to the circuitry. That's all the electronics circuits need from the power supply: the correct voltage, ample current (under all operating conditions) and very low noise riding on that DC voltage. If the power supply is adequately designed, none of the AC noise coming in from the mains should make it to the DC rail output. Everything in a power supply (even a simple one) mitigates against high-frequency grunge (anything higher than 60Hz will be attenuated) making it onto the DC rail. The power transformer is efficient at 50/60 Hz but very inefficient at anything above that. The Pi filter after the rectifier is resonant at 50-60 Hz and it's impedance goes up sharply above 60 Hz. Regulators don't pass high frequencies very well. I've 'scoped many a "high-end" audio PS and I see nothing but Pure DC with a tiny bit of 120 Hz ripple when viewed at at the scope's most sensitive setting. No noise spikes, no high frequency hash, not even refrigerator or air-con turn-on spikes (on properly operating appliances). I have also noticed (on the oscilloscope) no difference whatsoever in the quality of the DC whether the AC mains cord was a cheap Chinese IEC cord or a US$250 Shunyata Research cord!

If John Swenson has any concrete mathematical proof to back up his assertions about power cords, let him post the math. If he can prove by something other than his empirical listening impressions, that AC cords make a difference, I am certainly ready to listen.

George