IGNORED

Best DAP sub-$1000

Hi,

I've asked this question within some other threads, but nobody has really responded. So here goes..

If YOU had $1K to spend on a portable player, what would you buy? Personally, I *think* I have it narrowed down to this:

Pono

Fiio X5

A&K 100 II

Problem is that I can't listen to any of them without purchasing first and dealing with return hassles. What do you think?

Thanks!

I recently purchased the Sony NWZ-ZX1 (iPod Nano 5th Gen and Zune 120s and HD) I think it sounds great (Westone W40 & UM3x mostly). For just over $1K the ZX2 is coming soon...I may have to splurge.

I have no experience with ones you have listed. I thought about the Pono but decided to wait. A&K used to have interface issues and that has probably prevented me from looking at them. Frankly I did not know of any models except for the 240. Online the, to me, the Fiio looks flimsy. It most likely is not but it is my perception. The Sony is solid build and runs on Android which I am very comfortable. Hence my decision.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Also consider the Calyx M. Best sound overall and best value. Battery life is the only compaint people have (aprox. 4 hours).

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red