IGNORED

Multiple Genres

Audio_ELF

Sorry I'm full of questions and starting topics today ...

One of my pet "wishlist" features for iTunes would be the ability to assign more than one genre to a track - i.e. so I could give a Jeff Buckley song the genres Rock and Male Soloist; or give Enya tracks New Age and Female Soloist; etc. I know this can't be done on iTunes but can any of the other playback / library software do similar - i.e. Media Monkey, FooBar or J.River?

Obviously I'm on Mac at the moment but that doesn't mean I wouildn't be interested in Windows solutions - this is a bit of a curiosity at the moment to improve my music management if I could.

Thanks

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eloise,

I use playlists for this sort of thing, or create custom genres. But if you're looking for something at the level of meta-tagging, I don't know of anything that might help.

What's the word for customized meta-tagging by an entire community of people - folksonomy, I believe?

Apple doesn't seem like a 'folksonomy' kind of company, perhaps someone else has it?

Clay

Thanks clay ... I'd not been able to track anything down that did this.

I can do multiple genre's like "Rock - Female Solo"; "Rock - Male Solo"; "Rock - Female group"; etc ... but if I just fancy Rock then thats no help.

I know can do playlists but thats a little bit annoying to keep up to date ... best I've come up with is to have things like playlist with "artist is Jeff Buckley OR Bryan Adams OR Damien Rice" for Rock - Male Soloists; etc.

I'd love if iTunes was built with proper relational database so you could categories Artists, assign a sort name once to an artist, give tracks multiple artists, etc. Would make life so much easier (for me) though for others would probably complicate iTunes too much.

I've actually considered if I could use something like Music Collectorz to keep a database and use that for playing but (from relocation) you it didn't work very well when I tried it before.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi Eloise - I'm sure you've already considered this but I'll mention it for those who have not. You could use the customer Genres as described above with playlists, but make them Smart Playlists. Such as If Genre equals or If Genre contains ...

Also you can use the comments field for what it's worth. Smart playlists based on the comments field is what I do all the time.

A relational database, and a little open sourcing, could make iTunes unbeatable.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

"...though for others would probably complicate iTunes too much."

And therein lies (part of) the secret of Apple's success, with ALL of their products.

I believe there are scripts (maybe even smart features in iTunes) what will automatically keep things up to data for you.

EDIT: Chris just confirmed this as I was typing earlier.

I'm out for the rest of the day - and won't have time - but you might think about doing a google on folksonomy + iTunes

clay

I'd not thought that ... could work it backwards - have genre's that are specific, then group them together with smart playlists for more general genres ... great idea.

Thanks

Eloise

Eloise

---