IGNORED

$10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

The United States is a land of opportunity and diversity.

You can buy cables that connect your hi-fi complete with speakers for less than $100, and if you've collected all those dinky RCA leads with VCRs over the years, it's even cheaper again.

If you like the looks of Nordost, Audioquest, Blue Jeans, then that's your choice.

Depending on your wallet and style, the choices on the USA market are wide indeed, even one day an Ethernet cable can be on the market for USD50k.

If you are willing to pay, then the market is open for that, customer, please drop in. The same principal applies to cars, boats, planes, watches, refrigerators, washing machines, yes, even handbags (purses). It's your choice. It's important not to deny anyone the right to pay for what they feel gives them empowerment, their contribution puts bread on the table for others, it's all on the same merry go round.

Should be BAN $10,000 cables? Ridicule those that do buy them? Where do we stop and draw the line?? For that is behaviour of the contempt, or governments that rule with an iron fist, it's YOUR choice to buy whatever suits your taste and you can afford it wisely.

Don't tell me what I can and can't buy, despite all evidence to the contrary that YOU might think is bad or what's determined by mob rule to be so.

I haven't read any post in this thread that challenges anyone's right to spend their money as they see fit. Nor have I seen anyone suggest that the marketplace should ban $10,000 cables. What is truly laughable (and more than a little pathetic) is that anyone with the wherewithal to be able to blithely afford to buy something like this would be so clueless as to actually believe that it would make a difference or be so callous as to throw money of that magnitude away on NOTHING when it would be just as "gone" and much more useful for that person to give that money to some charity and buy a regular Ethernet cable for their stereo system. That's the problem I see with the concentration of wealth in the world. I'm no bleeding-heart liberal (just the opposite, in fact), but I would have hoped that, as a society, we would have advanced somewhat beyond the age-old point where the ruling classes eat off of gold plates while the average man starves.

George

Bunk!

Not the cable, the article! The author is so eager to mock (well-heeled) audiophiles that it's no big deal to lie and mislead. First, as is pointed out upthread, the 12 m version costs $8K, not >$10K while a 1.5 m version retails for $1200. Second, the bit about mp3s should clue you in that the author has no idea of what's possible with computer audio. Some folks are acting like this product was specifically designed for mp3s. Good grief! Maybe go look at the AQ website to learn more about this product.

Personally, I have no interest (or budget) in this product. But I have enough experience to know that cabling can make audible improvements in SQ (IME, speaker>interconnect>USB/power). As pointed out elsewhere on this thread, Chris Connaker and others noted improved SQ using the slightly less expensive "Vodka" ethernet cable from AQ. But a lot of you are happy to join the author of the article and mock this product - and audiophiles in general - without even listening to the thing.

First Pono, now this. Why are so many of you happy to join in on the audiophile bashing?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I have enough experience to know that cabling can make audible improvements in SQ (IME, speaker>interconnect>USB/power).

And how would you quantify the SQ improvement made by the cable that transfers the file from your NAS/server into your music player's memory preload before it starts playing, i.e., the only cable in the entire signal path that is not actively transmitting power or a signal of any kind while the track is actually playing?

There is a wide disparity here between the "well-to-do" enthusiasts amongst whom price of a component is simply no object, and the rest of us who are forced to live in the real world. The vitriol between the two factions is becoming increasingly unpleasant.

While this product may offer some audible improvement over a generic ethernet cable, at 500x the price per foot, it is simply beyond the pale.

You can get the Diamond in 16 meter for HDMI use at only $13,499.75 at Amazon w/free shipping.

Read some of the customer reviews to see if it is for you.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-52-49-Braided-Cable/dp/B00IL3TZSQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1423692216&sr=8-9&keywords=audioquest+silver+ethernet+cable+diamond#customerReviews

Some owners have answered important questions about the cable too. Though do hurry, only 4 are left in stock at the time I am posting this.

http://www.amazon.com/differentiates-normal-earth-based-cables/forum/FxDK73NL4PSFL5/TxIHXL3L72BSN1/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00IL3TZSQ&cdItems=25&store=generic

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

While this product may offer some audible improvement over a generic ethernet cable, at 500x the price per foot, it is simply beyond the pale.

OK. How do you feel about the Koch brothers spending nearly $1B of personal wealth on the presidential campaign? Or administrators of "non-profit" hospitals with 8 figure incomes? I can think of a LOT of things that are far more ridiculous than $5K ethernet cables.

To answer your question, I have not tried any alternate cables from my external HDD to my PC (eSATA conection). The computer-side tweaks I've tried have made little to no difference in SQ in my system/room/ears (my USB cable upgrade falls into the category of little/subtle difference). But if someone reported hearing a notable improvement with a $1K eSATA cable I would not mock their ears or pocketbook.

Again, I thinks it's weird to read so much audiophile bashing on an audiophile website.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I'm sold ! I'm sold !! I'm lining up to buy . I can already hear the difference but only after a huge bong hit .

I think your money would be better spent on the penis enlarger :)

An audiophile is typically an anal retentive male , 40's or higher , with a small penis but big big tits(amps) , who usually will buy the latest audio gear even if it's not better then what he currently has but the audio review says it is .

It wouldn't cost as much as that cable ! Ha.

And he could spend the money he saved on Ho's ... er, I mean music :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I don't think that Audioquest is hoping the $10k ethernet cable to become their top seller. I think it essentially serves as a message to the audiophiles who thought they could forget about pricey USB cables after switching to ever-more popular networked solutions, it's a message that says, yes, ethernet cables matter as well, the ones right here may be too expensive for you, but you see that we are fully convinced that they do make a difference, so don't even think about using standard ethernet cables for your audio systems, get an audiophile ethernet cable in your budget today!

You can get the Diamond in 16 meter for HDMI use at only $13,499.75 at Amazon w/free shipping.

Read some of the customer reviews to see if it is for you.

Amazon.com: AudioQuest Diamond 16m (52.49 feet) Braided HDMI Cable: Electronics

Some owners have answered important questions about the cable too. Though do hurry, only 4 are left in stock at the time I am posting this.

http://www.amazon.com/differentiates-normal-earth-based-cables/forum/FxDK73NL4PSFL5/TxIHXL3L72BSN1/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00IL3TZSQ&cdItems=25&store=generic

Thank you. The reviews are great. LOL.