IGNORED

$10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

The way I see it, anyone who is smart enough to have accquired enough wealth to afford something like this is not likely to be stupid enough to find it credible.

You might as well say that someone spending 100,000 dollars on a full dCS stack or similar is 'stupid enough to find that credible', because you might think 1000 dollar DACs are 'just perfect'. Why do people feel they need to be 'gatekeepers' that are required to stop people spending money on whatever they feel like spending money on.

Even if you are very rich, as far as I can see you only will spend that kind of money on HiFi if you are seriously passionate about listening to music on a great system. If you listen to something like a fancy ethernet cable in the context of your own system before you buy it, and the sonic improvement justifies the money then it isn't about 'finding it credible'.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

So, let's take a look at a few things:

Just below the Diamond cable in AQ's line is the Vodka at a singnificantly lower but still expensive price imo.

Here's Chris Connaker on the Vodka:

Branching out from my switch are all my network enabled devices including the aforementioned network attached storage unit. I recently installed AudioQuest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable throughout my entire network. Depending on the day of the week, I usually have 7-10 network audio devices wired to the network all using the new AQ cable. To help install the cable I had AudioQuest's David Solomon fly out to my house. One may think installing Ethernet cable is as easy as plugging in the RJ45 connector, but at my house the audio devices can be 15 meters from the main network switch. This 15 meter run of cable requires two people for installation, one on each end, because there is no clear path through the ceiling. We spent a good two hours running cable to a single Sonore Rendu Signature Series DLNA renderer. OK, maybe I could have spent another two hours and run the cable by myself, but it was nice to have someone else on hand to swap cables and listen for differences when switching from a hodgepodge of Ethernet cables to a full AudioQuest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cabled system. When switching a single cable at a time I had a hard time identifying any sonic differences between the AQ cable and the brand X cable. I went through stages where I thought I heard a difference, but I couldn't consistently identify this difference when David swapped cables from behind the wall (out of my sight). However, I did notice an interesting difference after the complete swap to AQ Vodka cable was finished. My audio system had a lower noise floor. I don't know what to contribute this lowering of the noise floor to (better shielding?), but by changing to AQ cables my system is now quieter and enables me to hear into the music even further than I've previously experienced. This lower noise floor may also explain other AQ Ethernet users' experiences. Many people have suggested better highs, lows, or midrange after switching to AQ Ethernet cables. The suggestion that sonic differences in the music notes can be heard between Ethernet cables tends to rub a few people the wrong way. Based on my experience I'm leaning toward the cables lowering the noise floor which in-turn may give the sonic appearance of the cable having an affect on the actual music (highs, lows, or midrange).

See Computer Audiophile - Network Audio Refresher

Then there's Michael Lavorgna: AudioQuest Vodka Ethernet Cable and Diamond Ethernet Cable | AudioStream

John Darko: From Munich to Denver with AudioQuest Ethernet cables | DAR__KO

There are several others as well, all positive (that I've found). Customer reviews are more diverse.

So, while this doesn't prove anything, I read it as indicating what for me is a surprising possibility: that there might be something to this. The next step for me would be to try one (probably the Cinnamon) that I could return, if this were a system "upgrade" priority for me, which it isn't. I'm more likely to get more significant results from adding other network hardware that is not controversial and is likely to have a greater impact at a better price point. Does this sound reasonable or totally ridiculous?

So, let's take a look at a few things:

Just below the Diamond cable in AQ's line is the Vodka at a singnificantly lower but still expensive price imo.

Here's Chris Connaker on the Vodka:

See Computer Audiophile - Network Audio Refresher

Then there's Michael Lavorgna: AudioQuest Vodka Ethernet Cable and Diamond Ethernet Cable | AudioStream

John Darko: From Munich to Denver with AudioQuest Ethernet cables | DAR__KO

There are several others as well, all positive (that I've found). Customer reviews are more diverse.

So, while this doesn't prove anything, I read it as indicating what for me is a surprising possibility: that there might be something to this. The next step for me would be to try one (probably the Cinnamon) that I could return, if this were a system "upgrade" priority for me, which it isn't. I'm more likely to get more significant results from adding other network hardware that is not controversial and is likely to have a greater impact at a better price point. Does this sound reasonable or totally ridiculous?

(*sigh*) I just try to hold myself in check with this subject, because I do fall on the side of it is nuts to spend that kind of money on boutique ethernet cables. If you really want to make a difference, buy CAT6 wiring and pay attention to the terminations! (grin)

But other people, whose opinions I respect, report hearing differences with ethernet cables. I can (just barely) handle the idea of USB cables sounding different, and no problems at all with speaker cables sounding different. But Ethernet cables? I can't swallow that one. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

But Ethernet cables? I can't swallow that one.

Try doing it with a spoonful of sugar. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

In theory this may be true, but I have compared both in my system and find that CDs ripped while the moon is full and at the highest point in the night sky sound best to me. Clear nights are also better than cloudy ones as the cloud cover results in a slightly veiled sound.

Does it differ if located in the southern hemisphere? We have number of members from Australia.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Does it differ if located in the southern hemisphere? We have number of members from Australia.

I have heard from various folks down under that things are reversed down there so you get better results when there is no moon in the sky.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I had a couple of these put in my yacht, was disappointed to find they don't contain real diamonds.

I also had a similar disappointing experience with their Vodka line.

I think that people are just trying to understand.

If I use jRiver with the play from memory option, and provided that my system can read a .wav file without IO error from NAS to memory, how the Ethernet cable, which is not used during a playback, is supposed to affect QoS?

It is very simple. It is MAGIC! What else could it be...........Oh special know how from Audioquest. I won't say what they know, but really it is magic. Trust them.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The United States is a land of opportunity and diversity.

You can buy cables that connect your hi-fi complete with speakers for less than $100, and if you've collected all those dinky RCA leads with VCRs over the years, it's even cheaper again.

If you like the looks of Nordost, Audioquest, Blue Jeans, then that's your choice.

Depending on your wallet and style, the choices on the USA market are wide indeed, even one day an Ethernet cable can be on the market for USD50k.

If you are willing to pay, then the market is open for that, customer, please drop in. The same principal applies to cars, boats, planes, watches, refrigerators, washing machines, yes, even handbags (purses). It's your choice. It's important not to deny anyone the right to pay for what they feel gives them empowerment, their contribution puts bread on the table for others, it's all on the same merry go round.

Should be BAN $10,000 cables? Ridicule those that do buy them? Where do we stop and draw the line?? For that is behaviour of the contempt, or governments that rule with an iron fist, it's YOUR choice to buy whatever suits your taste and you can afford it wisely.

Don't tell me what I can and can't buy, despite all evidence to the contrary that YOU might think is bad or what's determined by mob rule to be so.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The United States is a land of opportunity and diversity.

You can buy cables that connect your hi-fi complete with speakers for less than $100, and if you've collected all those dinky RCA leads with VCRs over the years, it's even cheaper again.

If you like the looks of Nordost, Audioquest, Blue Jeans, then that's your choice.

Depending on your wallet and style, the choices on the USA market are wide indeed, even one day an Ethernet cable can be on the market for USD50k.

If you are willing to pay, then the market is open for that, customer, please drop in. The same principal applies to cars, boats, planes, watches, refrigerators, washing machines, yes, even handbags (purses). It's your choice. It's important not to deny anyone the right to pay for what they feel gives them empowerment, their contribution puts bread on the table for others, it's all on the same merry go round.

Should be BAN $10,000 cables? Ridicule those that do buy them? Where do we stop and draw the line?? For that is behaviour of the contempt, or governments that rule with an iron fist, it's YOUR choice to buy whatever suits your taste and you can afford it wisely.

Don't tell me what I can and can't buy, despite all evidence to the contrary that YOU might think is bad or what's determined by mob rule to be so.

I don't know if your comment refers to anything I have posted, but all I have said is "caveat emptor." I personally agree with you, and no one here is questioning your right to buy whatever you want, your rationale or justification for doing so, or a manufacturer's right to produce a product and make whatever audacious claims about it they can dream up. A $10,000 wire will probably not be found to pose serious health risks down the road.

However, it is reasonable to debate the veracity of such claims when a product sells for a thousand times what it costs to manufacture, and the science behind it is questionable. it will live or die in the marketplace, as it should.

And, just because all of us in here are well-to-do, and of above-average intelligence, it doesn't mean we can't have a little fun and make light of something occasionally, as this forum takes itself too seriously most of the time.

I'll tell you one thing. I don't put AudioQuest on a pedestal. I bought a $65 FireWire 800 cable from them at one point. It had pretty braiding, but the shitty plastic plugs were inferior to the locking metal connectors on the generic cables that were included free with my G-Technology HDD's. It didn't sound any different on my stereo, preloading a track into memory play, and I feel foolish for ever believing that it would.

Opportunity Knocking

Now that audiophile Cat 7 cable is here, for those with an entrepreneurial spirit opportunity is knocking. I can hear it from where I’m sitting. The door is open for the Audiophile grade Gigabit Switch!!!

A 4 or 8 port switch, high quality parts, military grade circuit board, all internal wiring is Cryo treated, separate linear power supply, high quality fuse, both cases are milled from aluminum billet, spiked feet, and comes with a high quality power cable, all for the reasonable price of $8500. All one would need is a great line of marketing BS, just the right amount of pseudoscience to imply a mystery, and hit the audio show circuit with samples for review.

Within a year we will be reading articles that tout 100 hours of burn-in time for these CAT cables. Why not hijack that notion and create a special CAT cable break-in generator at the same time.

The real humor here is the developer’s greedy laughter all the way to their bank.

A 4 or 8 port switch, high quality parts, military grade circuit board, all internal wiring is Cryo treated, separate linear power supply, high quality fuse, both cases are milled from aluminum billet, spiked feet, and comes with a high quality power cable, all for the reasonable price of $8500. All one would need is a great line of marketing BS, just the right amount of pseudoscience to imply a mystery, and hit the audio show circuit with samples for review.

Within a year we will be reading articles that tout 100 hours of burn-in time for these CAT cables.

Sounds like a great design. I can't wait for the reviews. I am sure that some will tell us that "the difference was not subtle," "for the first time digital music sounded analog" and "this $8500 switch brought sonic improvements that can usually be achieved only with upgrades costing many times more."

However, I am doubtful that 100 hours are enough for a so high-end piece of kit. I am convinced such a truly high-end switch requires 700 to 800 hours of burn in to deliver full-range audiophile enjoyment across the spectrum. For sure, this unit will lift many veils.

$10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

I'm not saying a word on this but thought that some of you may be interested in the article....

Cheers

Paul

$10,000 for a cable for listening to a format that can throw away more than 90% of the original waveform? This is truly funny! Not so much that there are probably people out there with far more money than brains who would actually believe this nonsense and purchase such a cable, but that they would buy it to "improve" the sound of their MP3s. It's sort of like buying a high-dollar enlarger and lens predicated on the hope that it would make negatives made with a single plastic lens Brownie box camera look sharper!

George

$10,000 for a cable for listening to a format that can throw away more than 90% of the original waveform? This has got to be a joke, right?

George, as I said above, the mp3 part was added by the author of the article for effect. We all know you need to rip to a lossless format to get the full benefits of these cables.