IGNORED

usb/spdif converter for nad m51

Hi all :)

Getting my first usb interface and was wondering some questions.

System will be used is macminiw/ audirvana -> usb interface -> nad m51 -> densen b200/b330 - >neat mf5

The nad is reclocked and with an external power supply. cables is tchernov reference i/c and speaker cables. usb is vertere d-fi and chord silverplus. all standard power cord. xlo signature aes/ebu cable

Decide to add a usb interface as many is saying that nad m51 usb implementation is not so good. honestly i cant detect much problem, but if it can make sound better by adding usb interface, why not?

my current System is dynamic and punchy, detailed with deep but not so wide stage. just to inform im totally satisfied with my system, just wanting to smoothen things a little and more bass detail and extension. and of course increase overall performance if possible :)

Was interested in the audiophilleo, however theres some choices like the yellowtec puc2 and gustard u12 that is compared positively against the audiophilleo. Also i would like to connect via aes/ebu which is said to be the best connection with the m51

My choices so far are the gustard u12 and the yellowtec puc2 lite. As i want to connect via aes/ebu (audiophilleo is out)

Was reading good things to these 2 system, but i cannot try it out before implementing to the system Any other recomendations? would like to keep budget below 1000usd. the lower the better.

Main priority is musicality, smoothness, full bodied bass, good ambience and wide and deep soundstage. I dont need more detail, more resolution and brightness.

Thank you all for any advice :) Cheers all!! any advice is much appreciated

Who says the M51's USB implementation is not so good? I've heard others opine that it sounds as good as Ayre's. What matters is what you think. From what you describe, perhaps you should just change the position of your speakers, or add a sub.

If you are basically satisfied with your setup, why spend $1,000 to add more components and cables into the signal path? The problem with this materialistic hobby is that one can slip into the mindset that it will always sound a little bit better with more money spent. There's always a point of diminishing returns with any technology. That's when the marketing takes over.

Who says the M51's USB implementation is not so good? I've heard others opine that it sounds as good as Ayre's. What matters is what you think. From what you describe, perhaps you should just change the position of your speakers, or add a sub.If you are basically satisfied with your setup, why spend $1,000 to add more components and cables into the signal path? The problem with this materialistic hobby is that one can slip into the mindset that it will always sound a little bit better with more money spent. There's always a point of diminishing returns with any technology. That's when the marketing takes over.
from many forums, many were saying that they found a huge improvement by adding a usb/spdif converter to the nad m51. just wanna experiment on whetherthe improvement wi/ ll be as great as people say. maybe i should try the cheaper option for experimentation. this is the audiophile curse aint it? :)
from many forums, many were saying that they found a huge improvement by adding a usb/spdif converter to the nad m51. just wanna experiment on whetherthe improvement wi/ ll be as great as people say. maybe i should try the cheaper option for experimentation. this is the audiophile curse aint it? :)

What works for me is for you to buy the gear and try it, then report back here as to whether it made a difference.

If so, you win, if not, your curiosity has been satisfied. Of course, you can always resell it, and chalk up any loss as the price of an education.

What works for me is for you to buy the gear and try it, then report back here as to whether it made a difference.If so, you win, if not, your curiosity has been satisfied. Of course, you can always resell it, and chalk up any loss as the price of an education.
thats the plan, but some knowledge on which will minimise my risk for my needs would be beneficial wouldnt it :)Therefore i want to gain some knowledge on which device would suit my needs, and some expertise from members who has succesfully matched a usb/spdif converter to the nad m51. These would definitely remove lots of risks and money associating with trial and error . thank you very much for the advice.

A couple of folks here are using the Yellowtec with the M51 and like it. Hopefully, they will see this thread, and advise you accordingly.

I failed to mention that I had the Musical Fidelity V-Link192 connected to my system at first, albeit through coax and not AES/EBU, and did not hear any improvement, so I settled on direct USB. I did try several different USB cables, however, and found substantial SQ differences between them. Interestingly, the best sounding cable was not one of the more expensive ones.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and welcome to the forum.

A couple of folks here are using the Yellowtec with the M51 and like it. Hopefully, they will see this thread, and advise you accordingly.

I failed to mention that I had the Musical Fidelity V-Link192 connected to my system at first, albeit through coax and not AES/EBU, and did not hear any improvement, so I settled on direct USB. I did try several different USB cables, however, and found substantial SQ differences between them. Interestingly, the best sounding cable was not one of the more expensive ones.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and welcome to the forum.

maybe its better to get the cheaper one for trying out...but will wait first for some other input from members who tried them. Thank you very much for the advice :)

I started using the NAD M51 about a month ago. The Gustard U12 works really well for me. At that price it is a pretty good deal.

I have seen a couple threads mentioning that this DAC sounds better balanced. I would be curious to try it bit don't know if the expense will be worth it.

+1 for the Gustard U12, I just ordered one for my NAD M51. For the price I was board and got it. From what I've read it's a very good unit and the cost is near unbeatable.

Currently I have a MF V-Link192 hooked up via AES/EBU. I was not a fan of the USB input, maybe there's some breaking in on the NAD with it, but it sounded very thin in the mid range and I didn't like it. So I kept with the V-Link192.

I figured for the price I'd test out the Gustard and see what it's like. Plus I have a second system that could use a USB to SPDIF in it, so why not?!

I'd love to have a full Audiophilleo+PP or Berkeley Alpha USB...but price point at the moment is stopping that.

I started using the NAD M51 about a month ago. The Gustard U12 works really well for me. At that price it is a pretty good deal.

I have seen a couple threads mentioning that this DAC sounds better balanced. I would be curious to try it bit don't know if the expense will be worth it.

Thanks for the info. Can you briefly describe the effect the gustard u12 adds to your system? Like the sound signature it adds to your system. Much appreciated

+1 for the Gustard U12, I just ordered one for my NAD M51. For the price I was board and got it. From what I've read it's a very good unit and the cost is near unbeatable.

Currently I have a MF V-Link192 hooked up via AES/EBU. I was not a fan of the USB input, maybe there's some breaking in on the NAD with it, but it sounded very thin in the mid range and I didn't like it. So I kept with the V-Link192.

I figured for the price I'd test out the Gustard and see what it's like. Plus I have a second system that could use a USB to SPDIF in it, so why not?!

I'd love to have a full Audiophilleo+PP or Berkeley Alpha USB...but price point at the moment is stopping that.

This was my exact scenario. I replaced the VLink 192 with the Gustard U12. The improvements I have noticed are a lower noise floor and more detail. For me, the change was bigger than going for the original VLink to the Vlink192.

Now I have to figure out if I should get an aftermarket power cord for the Gustard. I am a believer in power cords but am not sure what it can do for a USB-sped if converter

I was on the same situation like you. Also saw in many forums that usb implementation is not so good in M51 and also decided between Gustard U12 and Yellowtec Puc2 lite...funny.

Finally I ordered Gustard U12 and quite happy with. At this moment using through coax and planning to test through AES/EBU. In my opinion with Gustard U12 I've got more "neutral" and "musical" sound but lost some "detail".

In 1-st post you mentioned that "nad is reclocked and with an external power supply". Could you please describe in detail this mod and used power supply? Thank you!

I was on the same situation like you. Also saw in many forums that usb implementation is not so good in M51 and also decided between Gustard U12 and Yellowtec Puc2 lite...funny.

Finally I ordered Gustard U12 and quite happy with. At this moment using through coax and planning to test through AES/EBU. In my opinion with Gustard U12 I've got more "neutral" and "musical" sound but lost some "detail".

In 1-st post you mentioned that "nad is reclocked and with an external power supply". Could you please describe in detail this mod and used power supply? Thank you!

I am also interested in what you have done by reclocking and using an external power supply. I would guess that takes the NAD to another level.

I am also interested in what you have done by reclocking and using an external power supply. I would guess that takes the NAD to another level.

I actually was not 100% sure about the "details" of the upgrade as it was done by a diy friend who is a genious in amp design. Basically the modification if i recall correctly is in the analoque stage of the dac. The power supply is added to the analoque stage. The reclock is done in the spdif end. Not the usb end. Because he cant find the reclock crystal for the usb section. In total there is 4 crystals in the nad, but only 1 is reclocked (the spdif part).

After the upgrade, the sound is actually more detailed and more resolution. Although honestly the sound becomes less "easy listening" and more "analytical" than the standard nad m51. For me the standard nad m51 is so neutral and nice listening, i can listen to anything with it. Now theres more WoOoooww factor with good recordings but moreee oucchhh with bad recording. So i begin to listen my bad recording less. Therefore im looking for a spdif converter to add some more touch of musicality while retaining the insane detail of the current dac.

Best of both world. Im seeing the gustard as the clear front runner, as i would think the puc2 lite will be even more detail .

Thanks for the info on the mods. I have gradually improved my system over the last two years and have not reached a point where I have too much detail. I agree that the stock NAD is very nice to listen to

This may be due to my overall system, which tends to be leaning to the bright side of neutral.

This is all fun :)