IGNORED

Need To Replace My Newly Deceased CD Recorder - Best Current Option, New Or Used?

While I certainly realize this is a computer audio forum, I also know that many of you own large libraries of cd's, and still have dealings with them from time to time, at least. That generally also means having some expertise in associated areas. As the title says, my venerable Sony CDR-W33 cd recorder just died. For a number of reasons, I still need, from time to time, to make very high quality copies of cd's that I own. Most often, I do this when traveling, and also in relation to my car, which has no even remotely easy, affordable or acceptable way to add an iPod, or alternative. So I'm stuck with it's cd changer.

And so, I need to replace the existing unit with another one. The only currently available model that isn't $800-1000.00 and intended for pro usage, is this Tascam:

TASCAM CD-RW900MKII | Sweetwater.com

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? My old Sony made flawless copies,and that is what I'm after. The CDR-w33's do pop up on Amazon from time to time, as well as some other brands and models of older units, but many of them were from produced 2000-2005, and they are clearly getting up there in years, and continued reliability could be questionable.

Any suggestions, expertise, or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

JC

If I understand, you are just copying CD's onto other CD's for mostly use in your car. You don't need anything as expensive as the Tascam or the old Sony. Any computer or laptop with a CD-R or DVD-R drive can do it. You pop the CD in, let software copy it. Pop the CD-R blank in and burn a new one which will be an identical copy. If you are mixing from multiple CD's to a single CD for use in the car you can also do that copying individual tracks. You get a digital to digital bit perfect copy this way.

You also can get external DVD-R drives that also do CD. These are often bus powered and connect to your computer via USB. I find bus powered ones sometimes problematic. You also can get external drives that plug into the wall and connect via USB to a computer. USB bus powered drives are $50 or less. Wall powered drives usually less than $100.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-GP10NB20-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B004K2Z4MS/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1423433357&sr=8-53&keywords=external+DVD+drive

Example of a good $50 drive.

Amazon.com: OWC Mercury Pro 14X External Quad Interface Blu-ray-DVD-CD Reader & Writer: Computers & Accessories

I have one like this powered off a wall wart supply which works great. Also just over $50.

If you want a stand alone device that needs no computer involved there is this for a bit under $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Copystars-duplicator-target-DVD-burner-copier/dp/B005NVCV26/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1423433357&sr=8-55&keywords=external+DVD+drive

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

If I understand, you are just copying CD's onto other CD's for mostly use in your car. You don't need anything as expensive as the Tascam or the old Sony. Any computer or laptop with a CD-R or DVD-R drive can do it. You pop the CD in, let software copy it. Pop the CD-R blank in and burn a new one which will be an identical copy. If you are mixing from multiple CD's to a single CD for use in the car you can also do that copying individual tracks. You get a digital to digital bit perfect copy this way.

You also can get external DVD-R drives that also do CD. These are often bus powered and connect to your computer via USB. I find bus powered ones sometimes problematic. You also can get external drives that plug into the wall and connect via USB to a computer. USB bus powered drives are $50 or less. Wall powered drives usually less than $100.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-GP10NB20-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B004K2Z4MS/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1423433357&sr=8-53&keywords=external+DVD+drive

Amazon.com: OWC Mercury Pro 14X External Quad Interface Blu-ray-DVD-CD Reader & Writer: Computers & Accessories

I have one like this powered off a wall wart supply which works great. Also just over $50.

If you want a stand alone device that needs no computer involved there is this for a bit under $200.

Amazon.com: Copystars DVD duplicator 1 to 2 target DVD-burner drive CD DVD copier tower: Computers & Accessories

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

So why does the TASCAM deck cited by the OP have level meters and analog inputs? Sort of odd because there was no mention about ADC in the specs. Back to Dennis' point, does this do anything a regular CD-R won't do?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Amazon.com: LG GP10NB20 Portable 8X Slim DVD+/-RW External Drive (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Copystars DVD duplicator 1 to 2 target DVD-burner drive CD DVD copier tower: Computers & Accessories

Dennis,

You should not use BR drives neither for burning or ripping CD's.

Without going into details it have to do with numerical aperture and filters.

You should not use BR drives neither for burning or ripping CD's.

Without going into details it have to do with numerical aperture and filters.

It would be good if you did go into it, because I have had no problem ripping with Blu-ray drives whatsoever. (even the newer BDXL drives)

Ripping is fast and error-free. (verified against the AccurateRip database)

Similarly, Blu-spec CDs are considered to be higher quality than regular CDs.

So why should a Blu-ray drive be avoided when burning CDs?

It would be good if you did go into it, because I have had no problem ripping with Blu-ray drives whatsoever. (even the newer BDXL drives)

Ripping is fast and error-free. (verified against the AccurateRip database)

Similarly, Blu-spec CDs are considered to be higher quality than regular CDs.

So why should a Blu-ray drive be avoided when burning CDs?

Numerical aperture is 0,85 for Br and 0,45 for CD to compensate this difference you need diffraction type filters which end up with chromatic and spherical aberration.

To make it short lot of power variation is due to this and more noise will end up in your HD during ripping( Alex experience).

For burning the issue is with diffracted orders.

Blu spec use a polymer who have higher refractive index nothing to do without the diode.

To make it short lot of power variation is due to this and more noise will end up in your HD during ripping( Alex experience)
Oh this crap again.

If it verifies as being accurate using both the drive's internal checking, and when checked against the AccurateRip database, it's an accurate rip. Bit-pefect. A 1:1 copy. Exactly what's on the disc.

Data doesn't care. It doesn't have any residual memory. There are no such things as homeopathic bits.

For burning the issue is with diffracted orders.

Blu spec use a polymer who have higher refractive index nothing to do without the diode.

Well I have little experience burning CDs with a Blu-ray drive. I suppose it's possible that the discs may not be as easily read in an actual CD player. I am skeptical though.
Oh this crap again.

If it verifies as being accurate using both the drive's internal checking, and when checked against the AccurateRip database, it's an accurate rip. Bit-pefect. A 1:1 copy. Exactly what's on the disc.

Data doesn't care. It doesn't have any residual memory. There are no such things as homeopathic bits.

Well I have little experience burning CDs with a Blu-ray drive. I suppose it's possible that the discs may not be as easily read in an actual CD player. I am skeptical though.

No, my reference is not Alex it's the result that we get in our lab:) I cited Alex just for fun.

Nothing to do with bits it's about noise but YMMV.