IGNORED

Why are we so confident of long term listening evaluations?

You should come to Paris:)

I spent quite a bit of time in Paris many years ago. I quite love the city. Parisian rudeness is different. It can be almost like a game. For example, I recall going into a store and asking if I could get some change. Typically, the response was, "Ce n'est pas une banque, monsieur!" Coming from Montreal, I looked at the store's sign and replied, "Je m'excuse. Je croyais que c'etait la Banque Nationale", with a big smile on my face. Immediately, the shopkeeper started to laugh and asked me what I needed. However, if you can't speak French, it can be a very different story. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I spent quite a bit of time in Paris many years ago. I quite love the city. Parisian rudeness is different. It can be almost like a game. For example, I recall going into a store and asking if I could get some change. Typically, the response was, "Ce n'est pas une banque, monsieur!" Coming from Montreal, I looked at the store's sign and replied, "Je m'excuse. Je croyais que c'etait la Banque Nationale", with a big smile on my face. Immediately, the shopkeeper started to laugh and asked me what I needed. However, if you can't speak French, it can be a very different story. :)

Indeed my experience in Paris long ago as well. A bit rude and off putting until you speak some French. Then all is well. Even poorly spoken French was good enough in Paris.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The story will be different if she knew that she was talking to a lawyer:)

Was in Paris 2 weeks ago, mainly taking photos (my other hobby,pretty sure its not an illusion...I have photographic evidence).It hasnt changed in regard to speaking their language. We came across one of the rudest ticket saleswoman ever at the bottom of Montmartre but in general the people are lovely if you make an attempt to speak their language. Of course there are those that dont want you to waste their time and just shove an English menu in your face. Apropos of nothing but I must say they seem to be speaking the language at double the speed compared to even 3 years ago.Its like there are no consonants, all vowels. The restaurant Vagenende sounded more like a small sneeze when the French pronounce it.

Louvre.jpg

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Golf ? Parcheesi ? Hula Hooping ?..... there has to be something [cheeky grin]

This from someone who was traveling in Venice and Paris, yet took time to regularly post on CA. Really, you are the guy to ask such questions? There was nothing else there for you? Seriously?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This from someone who was traveling in Venice and Paris, yet took time to regularly post on CA. Really, you are the guy to ask such questions? There was nothing else there for you? Seriously?

Well we spent all day and many nights out and about (I do have photographic evidence ;-) ) but unlike previous trips we were not trying to wear down the soles of our shoes. I even took a tripod this time for my camera. It nearly got me thrown off the London underground for using it ! Conversely, I was surprised that you could take non-flash photos inside the Louvre, as much as you like.

There is a cool little jazz club in Paris called Chez Papa, dinner and show. Well worthwile

Sound Minds Mind Sound

The story will be different if she knew that she was talking to a lawyer:)

That was almost ten years before I became a lawyer, alfe. I went back to school long after I graduated with my first university degree. So the story remains the same. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Well we spent all day and many nights out and about (I do have photographic evidence ;-) ) but unlike previous trips we were not trying to wear down the soles of our shoes. I even took a tripod this time for my camera. It nearly got me thrown off the London underground for using it ! Conversely, I was surprised that you could take non-flash photos inside the Louvre, as much as you like.

There is a cool little jazz club in Paris called Chez Papa, dinner and show. Well worthwile

Chez Papa:) should contact me before your trip could advise you for real food and real jazz club.

Chez Papa:) should contact me before your trip could advise you for real food and real jazz club.

Yeh sure thats true but was still worthwhile. There was a female african american vocalist who was quite good and great pianist and bouble bass..Vagenende was for authentic french food .ronnie scotts in london was great jazz blues but not so much for food

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Yeh sure thats true but was still worthwhile. There was a female african american vocalist who was quite good and great pianist and bouble bass..Vagenende was for authentic french food .ronnie scotts in london was great jazz blues but not so much for food

In France we have a nasty joke about English food.

We say when you see it you think it's a s**t and when you taste it you regret it wasn't.

In France we have a nasty joke about English food.

We say when you see it you think it's a s**t and when you taste it you regret it wasn't.

Or as the tourists travelling in the beautiful English countryside observed, "Isn't this fantastic. And thank God they can't cook it!"

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sbgk viewpost-right.png

If only everything in France smelled of roses.

No since we have the tunnel :)

Good one.

Regarding food, I would say however that the food in England has dramatically improved, from fast food to fine dining opportunities as well as great produce.The most dissapointing was Venice (my fav food being Italian) and the richest (for my palate) French. Spain won in the best and cheapest category

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Heh heh... nice thread.

In answer to the original question though:

Because it works, and works better than any other method yet available to ordinary people looking to choose between the myriad choices available to them.

It cuts through most of the snake oil and other confusions and gets to the heart of the matter.

Why else?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Apropos of nothing but I must say they seem to be speaking the language at double the speed compared to even 3 years ago.Its like there are no consonants, all vowels. The restaurant Vagenende sounded more like a small sneeze when the French pronounce it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16828[/ATTACH]

Beautiful picture, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Regarding your remark about speed in speech, where you in Paris 3 years ago? There are big differences in the speed at which people talk between Paris and the south of France. For instance, people in Paris are very fond of shortening words (especially proper nouns). On the other hand, the further you go toward the south, the more distinctly people will articulate.