IGNORED

Eero Router

What exactly is impressive here?

What can I do with this that I cannot do with a couple or three Asus Ac66?

I was using an Asus RT-AC68U. The advantages over multiple such routers (I liked mine very much) are complete ease of configuration (you plug them in and they configure themselves; I use OpenDNS, so I had to do the single customization of entering their DNS servers instead of my ISP's, which was utterly simple) and that they form a mesh network (at least in my case, for both 5 and 2.4GHz completely automagically).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was using an Asus RT-AC68U. The advantages over multiple such routers (I liked mine very much) are complete ease of configuration (you plug them in and they configure themselves; I use OpenDNS, so I had to do the single customization of entering their DNS servers instead of my ISP's, which was utterly simple) and that they form a mesh network (at least in my case, for both 5 and 2.4GHz completely automagically).

Exactly. Very cool product. Automatically finds best channel and automatically recognizes device protocol and switches automatically. On top using a mesh network that becomes more effective the more devices.

Exactly. Very cool product. Automatically finds best channel and automatically recognizes device protocol and switches automatically. On top using a mesh network that becomes more effective the more devices.

Asus are good routers. I use them and run Tomato firmware. I have never had a problem deploying WiFi and getting proper coverage, but a mesh networking product like Eero looks like it is a breeze for anyone to setup.

Asus are good routers. I use them and run Tomato firmware. I have never had a problem deploying WiFi and getting proper coverage, but a mesh networking product like Eero looks like it is a breeze for anyone to setup.

Never had a problem with the Asus, but the set of three eeros is even faster and has even better coverage.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Unfortunately, they don't work with PPPoe internet providers, which is what I have.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Eero support has answered my technical questions, and I'm closer to unboxing!

I've been trying to figure out how to get the eeros to co-exist with my existing D-Link dual-band router. I want to get better WiFi coverage for the whole house with the eeros, but I'm also trying to dedicate one 5GHz radio exclusively to my Aries, for SQ reasons. Since the eeros don't support restricting their 5GHz radios to just one client device, I need my router and the eeros to co-exist peacefully.

One idea I have is to open a DMZ port with reserved IP address on the router for the first eero connected downstream. Hopefully this avoids the shortcomings of double NAT. I don't know how well this can work, though, so I asked eero support to comment.

Eero support has answered my technical questions, and I'm closer to unboxing!

I've been trying to figure out how to get the eeros to co-exist with my existing D-Link dual-band router. I want to get better WiFi coverage for the whole house with the eeros, but I'm also trying to dedicate one 5GHz radio exclusively to my Aries, for SQ reasons. Since the eeros don't support restricting their 5GHz radios to just one client device, I need my router and the eeros to co-exist peacefully.

One idea I have is to open a DMZ port with reserved IP address on the router for the first eero connected downstream. Hopefully this avoids the shortcomings of double NAT. I don't know how well this can work, though, so I asked eero support to comment.

I'd test both with and without the D-Link. I have an excellent Asus router that I tried in and out of the network, and the network stats look better without. I don't have your specific situation, though.

Mmm. I'd make sure it works properly with UPnP & AirPlay streaming first, especially if planning to use with any existing routers, extenders, etc. So many network devices out there fail when handling SSDP, mainly when they're required to forward multicast packets.
Can anyone confirm if the Eero routers are working properly with UPnP/DLNA and AirPlay device discovery, especially with wired devices attempting to discover wireless ones, vice versa and also if used in combination with any other (non-Eero) routers, switches, etc?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I was using the Airport Express Extreme with airport express extenders and EERO gives better throughput throughout the covered range of the three EEROs. I will say, the antenna could have been stronger as I will need to add a couple of more to cover my house fully, but even on the fringe of my current EERO network I am getting throughput equal to what i was getting with an Express extender

Just to clarify about these compared to Apples. If you have a wired network that you can run AirPort Express's on, is it the same performance that you are receiving with these running wirelessly as a mesh?

David

Can anyone confirm if the Eero routers are working properly with UPnP/DLNA and AirPlay device discovery, especially with wired devices attempting to discover wireless ones, vice versa and also if used in combination with any other (non-Eero) routers, switches, etc?

AirPlay from my iPhone to my Apple TV over wireless works great - no stops, dropouts or pixelization.

Just to clarify about these compared to Apples. If you have a wired network that you can run AirPort Express's on, is it the same performance that you are receiving with these running wirelessly as a mesh?

The more I use it the more impressed I am. I now have 6 in my house. Using it one on my "wired network" as an access point and the rest wireless I can say there is no comparison. My previous wasn't close to what I am getting now. Now I have 800 bucks invested in this but I have a large house and large backyard. Even in the backyard I am getting absurd throughput.

Since I was a person who pre-ordered it, I got the first delivery of the product. Initially I was just slightly disappointed as throughput was about 70% of my internet capability. That night they upgraded the unit to "increase speed" and now wherever I am in my house or backyard I am getting 100%. Now I don't now if it handles DNS handshaking faster BUT pages are loading faster and overall net browsing seems much faster than would account for throughput alone.

I would highly recommend the product. It is much better than I thought it would be and quite frankly since I ordered it so long ago kind of forgot about it.

Re DNS - Folks may want to have a look at OpenDNS.

• 8 months later...

I've been VERY happy with my 6 Eero routers. Today even more improvements were made.

https://blog.eero.com/the-worlds-smartest-wifi-system-just-got-smarter-73888c4716e4#.j0q3l68c3

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos