IGNORED

Suggestions for more music like this (African guitar/folk/jazz and/or world?)

Anyone have any good ideas where to go next? I really enjoy these but don't really know too much about that type of music, i.e. African folk, blues, guitar or whatever kind of music this is. Would also love some suggestions for African Jazz music (think Abdullah Ibrahim – I have 'Good News From Africa', 'Water from an Ancient Well', 'Yarona' and 'at Montreux') :)

D'Gary - Music From Madagascar

gary-malagasy-guitar-madagascar-192k_1_616878.jpg

Ali Farka Touré - Talking Timbuktu

talking_timbuktu.jpg

Thanks a lot! That gives me something to start with. I find that Ethiopian piece a bit grating at first listen but that might just be a matter of getting used to it... :o

I had a similar feeling when I first listened to it but it's grown on me. Can't understand a word of it but the melody is incredibly catchy. Almost reminds me of some cajun music.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Ethiopian groove may not be to everyone's liking.

I now love it.

I recommend these 2-CD sets:

Ethiopian Groove Worldwide, on ethioSonic 860215, http://www.budamusique.com

The very best of ethiopiques, mantded245, http://www.ethiopiques.info

Labels like The Rough Guide To...and Putumayo may offer interesting compilations serving as bases for exploration.

Good luck with your search!

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.10.4, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 2.5.4, BitPerfect 2.0.2) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio USB Regen w UpTone Audio Ultracap LPS-1 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed both volumes of Angola Soundtrack. They feature guitar players from 65-78 I think. Good stuff. Analog Africa is a great label to browse for this kind of music. They have a good amount of stuff in Bandcamp in red book format.

Mulatu Astatke from Ethiopia is pretty amazing. Well at least his New York, Addis, London album is. That is definitely in the Jazz realm.

You mentioned "world" music. If you're willing to go beyond Africa, Water Lily Acoustics offers some amazing Indian and fusion performances with top notch sound. The most famous album from them is A Meeting by the River by Ry Cooder and V.M. Bhatt. Both play slide guitars but from radically different cultures and music backgrounds. Bhatt also plays with Bela Fleck, Sun Ra, and others on other albums. All are amazing. My favorite albums from them include Saltanah (absolutely amazing oud work), Bourbon and Rosewater, and Indian Architexture. The last is straight up Indian classical but it is a sublime performance from Ali Akbar Khan. All of those are available in DSD from acoustic sounds transferred from the analog masters.

Let it me know if you're interested in other types of world music or more Indian classical!

Not really an area of music I would claim any experience in... But you might like to check out the Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound who have had "world" music as their selection quite often. Not sure if exactly what you are interested in though.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for but thought I'd mention it just in case. I have this DSD version:

XAPJ82020D64__94733__10232013044734-6025.jpg

Hugh Masekela-Hope-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download | Acoustic Sounds

A longtime audiophile demonstration disc. Hope will show off your system's dynamic range as well as any record ever released. Hugh Masekela, the outstanding South African trumpeter, assembled a seven-piece group and recorded this great set live at Washington, D.C.'s Blues Alley. The songs stretch over a period of nearly five decades and serve as an informal guided tour of Masekela's life. The songs are honest and bare, and as for the sound – WOW!

--Acoustic Sounds

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification