IGNORED

I have a question about modern pop music

While I would prefer real stereo, concert performances of the music. When it's a question of a studio performance of the film score or no performance of it at all, I'll take the studio performance. At least I understand why most symphonic film scores were recorded dry, in a studio. You don't want to overlay the acoustics of a movie theater over the acoustics of a concert hall, so the concert hall acoustics are left out of the recording so that the hall sound in the theater is part of the playback only.

(grin) I know that, and agree. Would you like your leg back now? :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The other day we were looking for the origin of it, but probably weren't detailed enough in our search. So while I came up with Deodato, I was thrown a "EL&P !".

So it is Mancini ? guess so.

re: Peter Gunn theme

Peter (not the Gunn),

Best done by 'Art of Noise', IMHO.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Miami Vice. At the time, and now, I thought that show broke new ground in how music was used in a TV series, from the cool Jan Hammer theme, to the major pop hits used to great effect (IMO) during the episodes, to the use of pop stars themselves as actors.

For me, another (unrelated) great musical moment in a TV series was the use of a Richard Thompson cover of "Season of the Witch" in an episode of Crossing Jordan.

David,

My favorite TV/musical moment was in an episode of 'The West Wing". The last part of the episode occured in a night club, where people were reacting to the disappearance of the President's daughter. There was no dialog, only Massive Attack's 'Angel' playing, not in the background, but well in foreground, enhancing the fear, frustration, and sadness felt by the characters. Massive Attack does Downtempo/Trip Hop music, and Angel is a very ominous, spooky, piece, with a dramatic arc to it's total envelope.

In other words, as Perfect as I allow for in such things :) !

[email protected]- nicely said here are a few more dimitri tiomkin 'the alamo' i still have the lp purchased at sam goodys on times square, leonard bernstein 'west side story' i still have the lp from the movie it is still the heaviest/thickest lp i have ever owned, maurice jarre 'lawrence of arabia' 'the longest day' 'dr zhivago' and whoever wrote the col. boogy march

bobbmd

[email protected]- nicely said here are a few more dimitri tiomkin 'the alamo' i still have the lp purchased at sam goodys on times square, leonard bernstein 'west side story' i still have the lp from the movie it is still the heaviest/thickest lp i have ever owned, maurice jarre 'lawrence of arabia' 'the longest day' 'dr zhivago' and whoever wrote the col. boogy march

bobbmd

Agreed. The Alamo is a great score! In fact lots of Tiomkin scores are great: He was the undisputed king of film music for westerns, which is ironic for a Jewish man born in Russia! You wouldn't think that someone with that background would have much of a feel for such an alien culture's musical idioms. But he sure did!

Boy do I miss Sam Goody's. Went there overtime I visited NYC as a kid. We had one in the Washington DC area too, and that's the one I frequented. We also had an E.J. Korvette's in Northern VA, and they had a GREAT record department. Being a kid, I didn't have a lot of money, but I dare say that I bought dozens of British EMI HMV records there when I had never seen them before that.

The Col. Bogey tune is an old British army tune. British composer Malcolm Arnold added a "counter-march" to the tune to come-up with the Col Bogey March as used in The Bridge On the River Kwai. Arnold did a few films, but he is better known for his serious classical compositions.

Jarre did some good work, but to me, he became very repetitious, plagiarizing himself more than any film composer I can think of. There was a time when all of his scores sounded alike (Grand Prix, Is Paris Burning). I think his best is still Lawrence of Arabia, and my personal favorite, Witness. The "Barn Raising" theme he wrote for Witness is sheer brilliance as far as I'm concerned.

George

David,

My favorite TV/musical moment was in an episode of 'The West Wing". The last part of the episode occured in a night club, where people were reacting to the disappearance of the President's daughter. There was no dialog, only Massive Attack's 'Angel' playing, not in the background, but well in foreground, enhancing the fear, frustration, and sadness felt by the characters. Massive Attack does Downtempo/Trip Hop music, and Angel is a very ominous, spooky, piece, with a dramatic arc to it's total envelope.

In other words, as Perfect as I allow for in such things :) !

Ah, the West Wing, really liked that series.

Speaking of TripHop: I got hooked to Portishead's fantastic Glory Box in Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty, an otherwise only so-so movie.

hey thanks for the quick reply! thanks for the info on col bogey march i was sure jarre wrote it and the score for the 'bridge over the river kwai but i guess not

here is a question of trivia do you know what ejkorvettes stood for(no cheating don't look it up!) we used go to the one in paramus nj

... I got hooked to Portishead's fantastic Glory Box in Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty...

Then I heartily recommend their Portishead: 'Roseland NYC Live', on DVD

It is kind of like a 'best of', a live album, and a music video with most of their best songs, including 'Glory Box'. Interesting medium size ballroom venue, small-med. backing orchestra*, band in great form. Watch the Therimin playing, vinyl scratching, interesting assortment of acoustic and electronic instruments, but most of all the tiny, shy, cigarette smoking, Beth Gibbons wringing incredible emotion out of the barest of lyrics :)

First half, or so, is best, IMO. Enjoy.

* probably a large percentage of the New York Philharmonic picking up some extra cash :)

hey thanks for the quick reply! thanks for the info on col bogey march i was sure jarre wrote it and the score for the 'bridge over the river kwai but i guess not

here is a question of trivia do you know what ejkorvettes stood for(no cheating don't look it up!) we used go to the one in paramus nj

With E.J. Korvettes, I suspect that you are referring to the urban myth that it stood for Eight Jewish Korean Veterans, but it does not. The truth is, as I recall, that the store started in a Manhattan loft sometime after WWII but before the Korean conflict. I seem to recall that at first, they sold mostly luggage.

They were the only department store that I've ever seen that had a REAL Hi-Fi department that sold brands like Fisher and Scott and Marantz (when it was still being run by Sol, and the stuff was still American made). Their record department was huge (both the Broadway store in New York and the Washington store in Seven Corners in Northern Virginia.

George

With E.J. Korvettes, I suspect that you are referring to the urban myth that it stood for Eight Jewish Korean Veterans, but it does not. The truth is, as I recall, that the store started in a Manhattan loft sometime after WWII but before the Korean conflict. I seem to recall that at first, they sold mostly luggage.

They were the only department store that I've ever seen that had a REAL Hi-Fi department that sold brands like Fisher and Scott and Marantz (when it was still being run by Sol, and the stuff was still American made). Their record department was huge (both the Broadway store in New York and the Washington store in Seven Corners in Northern Virginia.

Korvette's--wow. I was just thinking about this incident a couple days ago. In 1968, a friend and I got caught shoplifting records there (the Blue Star shopping center location, in Watchung, NJ).

The head of security--this butch woman--telephoned my parents, who, thankfully, weren't home, and never found out.