IGNORED

I have a question about modern pop music

Henry Mancini was probably the greatest composer of (non-rock) pop songs since Cole Porter. He was also an excellent TV/film score composer (Peter Gunn, Mr. Lucky, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Pink Panther, etc.)

I agree. I also quite like some of the works by Ennio Morricone, of course there was the Mission but even the Spaghetti Western stuff so suited the genre.Yo Yo Ma does some interesting covers. Another less mainstream (I think) is Michael Nyman. I was lucky enough to see him front row live many years ago with a 12-14 piece (IIRC) ensemble. The violins alone nearly blew my hair off (I had more then) when they got into some of the crescendo passages. I was also lucky enough to meet him backstage. I think his music also aptly suits the films (The Piano,The Draughtsman's Contract, The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

To answer the OP's question, yes it is very common these days for indie pop bands to place their songs in popular TV shows and (gasp) commercials. It is basically product placement for them, and important exposure since terrestrial radio doesn't reach as broad an audience as it used to.

This would have been considered "selling out" 25 or 30 years ago, but is now pretty widely accepted.

George, watch Good Will Hunting and see if you don't like some of the music. You might hate it, but it is certainly evocative, which I would imagine is what moviemakers would be going for. It's also a pretty good movie, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I've seen the movie Good Will Hunting. The movie is quite good, but the music must not have made any impression on me because I remember nothing about it. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

George

Does anyone actually like these songs (I find them annoying)?

Thanks

At its most basic "pop" music is popular and by definition many people like these songs (eg my 13 year old son). The people who write/create these shows are fairly intelligent and I expect that the music appeals to the target demographic to while the commercials are also targeting.

Not sure this is the best forum to discuss because we aren't the target audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I'm sure that there is money changing hands

But no-one has yet answered my question. Are these ditties considered good pop music by anyone, or is it just filler? IOW, does anyone here actually like any of it? If it is actually popular with the general audience for these shows, then I really have no gripe with it. After all, just because I can't identify with it (or even that I find it annoying) is really of no consequence or importance. I'd just like to know if this is what is considered good modern pop music. I have no feel for an answer to that.

Yes, money changes hands. Thank God. I like to see people who make music make money. (even if you do not like the music, people should get paid)

I do recall a Marliyn Manson version of "Sweet Dreams" on (I think, American Horror) and it was brilliant. Other examples, not so brilliant.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

The songs I'm talking about have no titles (except maybe they flash by in an instant during the end titles), and are, as far as I can see, by mostly unknown composers/performers and are used as "filler" at the end of these shows. Different thing altogether

I've noticed a lot of the songs that George is talking about are actually slightly away from mainstream British artists. So while they may be unfamiliar in USA they are actually quite well known amongst a certain group in Uk (who are probably the group watching American imports).

If you're actually interested in finding out more (yes I know George isn't) Shazam is a good tool (it's now built into Siri too).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I've seen the movie Good Will Hunting. The movie is quite good, but the music must not have made any impression on me because I remember nothing about it. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Well sometimes I think the truth is (with a film) that the perfect music doesn't make an I pression on the viewer but if the music was missing you would notice it.

Film music has a big part to play in the pacing and action of a movie ... Try watching a silent movie without any music and the impression will be very different than iwith the music. In fact historically a melodrama is a dramatic performance which is enhanced by the use of music.

In more recent times Quentin Tarantino has been a big proponent in using "pop" music in his films rather than having a score written specially for the movie.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yes, money changes hands. Thank God. I like to see people who make music make money. (even if you do not like the music, people should get paid)

There can be a lot of negotiation needed to get to use particular pieces of music in films and on TV. Often music cuts are then needed for "video" releases.

I remember an interview with Duncan Jones where he was saying how in his naievity when producing Moon (his first film) he put all this music in thinking rights would be easy to negotiate. The studios were horrified because of all the negotiations needed.

Eloise

---

Well sometimes I think the truth is (with a film) that the perfect music doesn't make an I pression on the viewer but if the music was missing you would notice it.

That is probably generally true, but not in my case. I am a big fan of great film music. Have been since I was a toddler. I remember seeing The Third Man (1949) at the drive-in theater with my parents and loving the zither music. I hounded my parents to get me a recording of the music from Quo Vadis in 1951 (I was 6) for Christmas. I notice film music, both good and bad. The only film music I don't notice is that which is bland (according to my tastes).

Film music has a big part to play in the pacing and action of a movie ... Try watching a silent movie without any music and the impression will be very different than iwith the music. In fact historically a melodrama is a dramatic performance which is enhanced by the use of music.

I think that goes without saying :)

In more recent times Quentin Tarantino has been a big proponent in using "pop" music in his films rather than having a score written specially for the movie.

One reason why I haven't liked any Quentin Tarantino film I've seen, I suspect. The only time that I find the use of a pop music score to be effective and memorable, is in films like American Graffiti and Animal House, Etc.

George

That is probably generally true, but not in my case. I am a big fan of great film music. Have been since I was a toddler. I remember seeing The Third Man (1949) at the drive-in theater with my parents and loving the zither music. I hounded my parents to get me a recording of the music from Quo Vadis in 1951 (I was 6) for Christmas. I notice film music, both good and bad. The only film music I don't notice is that which is bland (according to my tastes).

I love film scores. Remember, all our classical music was once pop(ular) music! I think some of our better film scores are going to be the classical music of the future.

Funny though, I would have though you would balk because almost all of those are recorded in studios, not in performance venues. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I love film scores. Remember, all our classical music was once pop(ular) music! I think some of our better film scores are going to be the classical music of the future.

Composers such as John Williams are recognised as both film composers and (modern) classical composers of course.

Funny though, I would have though you would balk because almost all of those are recorded in studios, not in performance venues. :)

Not necessarily Paul. For example Watford Town Hall while admittedly not a "world class" venue has been used for recording film scores including Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Eloise

---

-Paul

Sort of. It was popular music for the upper classes and the elites. The regular people listened to folk music and other kinds of popular music. In the 19th century there was already a popular music industry based on sheet music (think of Stephen Foster and the like).

That was the real popular music of its time, not classical. Just as today, many didn't consider it "serious" music and didn't relate to it seriously. Since most of that was before the days of recorded music, much of it is lost to us now, as it generally wasn't written down.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sort of. It was popular music for the upper classes and the elites. The regular people listened to folk music and other kinds of popular music. In the 19th century there was already a popular music industry based on sheet music (think of Stephen Foster and the like).

That was the real popular music of its time, not classical. Just as today, many didn't consider it "serious" music and didn't relate to it seriously. Since most of that was before the days of recorded music, much of it is lost to us now, as it generally wasn't written down.

I guess that is still at least partly true - but the "elite" of today compromise a much greater part of the population than before, at least in 1st world countries. I am not sure what the picture is like in developing or 3rd world countries.

Almost anyone today can afford good sound, and can listen to whatever kind of music they please whenever they want to. The elites of the past would be green with envy. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

To answer the OP's question, yes it is very common these days for indie pop bands to place their songs in popular TV shows and (gasp) commercials. It is basically product placement for them, and important exposure since terrestrial radio doesn't reach as broad an audience as it used to.

This would have been considered "selling out" 25 or 30 years ago, but is now pretty widely accepted.

I remember back in 2003 when Cadillac debuted its new car during the Superbowl and low and behold the music was provided by Mr's Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. I about spit out my beer. I seem to remember them stating they would never allow their music to be "commercialized". Your right new_media now its pretty common practice......

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Yes the music used on those shows is considered popular in that it ranks on some form of music charting (i.e Billboard, itunes, youtube views etc). Most of it is not just filler by an unknown band. As someone previously mentioned it's usually "on the fringe" as that is cheaper. What I mean by that is that the number one song on the Billboard Hot 100 would be much more expensive to license than whatever is currently in 38th place. With that said it is still known by those fans of the genre.

Remember, all our classical music was once pop(ular) music!

I am not sure about that: William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, Allegri, Antoine de Févin and the like produced music that only a few choirs could sing across Europe and that only top clerics, kings and very powerful noblemen would ever listen to. The pop music of the time was dances (think La Folia for instance) and ordinary church music. The vast majority of people would never get to listen to the "classical" music of the late Middle Ages or the Renaissance.

I am not sure about that: William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, Allegri, Antoine de Févin and the like produced music that only a few choirs could sing across Europe and that only top clerics, kings and very powerful noblemen would ever listen to. The pop music of the time was dances (think La Folia for instance) and ordinary church music. The vast majority of people would never get to listen to the "classical" music of the late Middle Ages or the Renaissance.

Yah- there are artists today that only the elitest of the elites will listen to. Me, I run screaming away from some stuff. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I remember back in 2003 when Cadillac debuted its new car during the Superbowl and low and behold the music was provided by Mr's Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. I about spit out my beer. I seem to remember them stating they would never allow their music to be "commercialized". Your right new_media now its pretty common practice......

The technicality is that none of it is really their music.

The technicality is that none of it is really their music.

Rock and Roll seems to be one of the few songs their not accused of ripping off....:) Ok that's overstating it a bit, I think 7 or 8 songs are questionable.....

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Gordon Holt often voiced the opinion that film music was the classical music of the 20th Century! I think I agree.

-Paul

While I would prefer real stereo, concert performances of the music. When it's a question of a studio performance of the film score or no performance of it at all, I'll take the studio performance. At least I understand why most symphonic film scores were recorded dry, in a studio. You don't want to overlay the acoustics of a movie theater over the acoustics of a concert hall, so the concert hall acoustics are left out of the recording so that the hall sound in the theater is part of the playback only.

George

Yes, this is correct. For millennia, popular music was a country's folk music. in the 19th century, the idea of new songs sweeping the nations took hold and the modern concept of "pop" music was born. Classical music was written for many reasons. Operas could, perhaps, be viewed as the "Broadway musicals" of their time, but with a much more restricted audience. Much classical music was religious in nature. For instance most of Bach was church music. Many classical pieces that we consider "war horses" today were hated when the first debuted (like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or Ravel's Bolero) Some compositions caused actual riots when first played (again, like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring).

George