IGNORED

I have a question about modern pop music

As most of you know, I don't listen to pop music and therefore have no feel for it (I.E. I don't know what's considered good or bad or why). I've noticed a trend in TV drama that I really don't understand, and I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me.

I have noticed that almost all US TV dramas, these days end each episode with some pop singer voicing-over the last scenes with some kind of song. My question is, are any of these songs actually enjoyed by the pop-music generations, or are they seen as just filler and no better than the music used in most TV commercials? IOW, is there a real musical reason for them or are they just some dramatic gimmick? Does anyone actually like these songs (I find them annoying)?

Thanks

George

George, can you share some examples?

In my experience, music is usually added to enhance the mood. Some recent shows that did this well include Treme, Sons of Anarchy, and Boardwalk Empire.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

George said: "I find them annoying."

+1, George. No make that +1000...!

Not only do I find that annoying, but I find the increasing tendency of most shows' sound tracks to have way too much in the way of irritating sound gimmicks. It seems like the engineer must be a 10-year old. There's too high volume as well, sometimes even covering up dialog. It's getting worse each season.

I'd really say that depends on what you're watching, some of the stuff on TV actually has really good music. Mad Men for example, the producer Mathew Weiner is a music buff. Take the iconic title track, you'd think it was composed on purpose for the series, but no, it was taken from some obscure hip hop track.

Treme is indeed another example of really good music, same I'd say goes for True Detective.

I'm not fond of it, I always thought it was filler because writing script and acting costs $$/min. However, I have young adults, 23, 21, and 16 and they dig it, they even talk about finding it on the Internet.

BTW - It amazes me the crap quality of what they will listen to just to get it for free.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

George, can you share some examples?

In my experience, music is usually added to enhance the mood. Some recent shows that did this well include Treme, Sons of Anarchy, and Boardwalk Empire.

Some of the programs that I have noticed that do this as a matter of course are: Hawaii Five-O, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Scorpion, NCIS, CSI, etc. The last scenes in each episode eliminate all dialog and some "pop"-style singer starts caterwauling some insipid, self-serving and ultimately worthless, sentimental ditty over the action. It reminds me of some other gimmicks that are done to death in modern movies and TV. Like freeze-framing action, adding impossible amounts of digital blood and having an attacker with a sword leap an impossible distance into the air getting momentarily frozen at the apex of his leap, and then coming down on his opponent with spear or sword. Once in a while is OK, but in every fight scene. it becomes a cliche. I feel the same way about the use of these pop ditties. I usually just kill the audio when they start "singing".

George

Is the music they play at the end of Morse from that new Pearl Jam CD, or did Pearl Jam rip it off, or am I hallucinating?

I'm not talking about a show's theme music, although some of that can be pretty annoying as well. I used to have to make a dive for the mute button when the theme for CSI Miami started (Something called "I Won't Get Fooled Again") or the Las Vegas CSI ("Who Are You"). Just awful!

But the Morse theme was written by a guy named Barrington Pheloung. I don't anything about any "Pearl Jam", but the Morse theme was written in the 1980's.

George

Some of the programs that I have noticed that do this as a matter of course are: Hawaii Five-O, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Scorpion, NCIS, CSI, etc. The last scenes in each episode eliminate all dialog and some "pop"-style singer starts caterwauling some insipid, self-serving and ultimately worthless, sentimental ditty over the action. It reminds me of some other gimmicks that are done to death in modern movies and TV. Like freeze-framing action, adding impossible amounts of digital blood and having an attacker with a sword leap an impossible distance into the air getting momentarily frozen at the apex of his leap, and then coming down on his opponent with spear or sword. Once in a while is OK, but in every fight scene. it becomes a cliche. I feel the same way about the use of these pop ditties. I usually just kill the audio when they start "singing".

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's the current "trendy" way to end shows. I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some money changing hands.

I'm not talking about a show's theme music (although some of that can be pretty annoying as well. I used to have to make a dive for the mute button when the theme for CSI Miami started (Something called "I Won't Get Fooled Again" or the Las Vegas CSI ("Who Are You"). Just awful!

These are both classic songs by The Who. You really weren't joking when you said you don't listen to popular music.

I'm not talking about a show's theme music, although some of that can be pretty annoying as well. I used to have to make a dive for the mute button when the theme for CSI Miami started (Something called "I Won't Get Fooled Again") or the Las Vegas CSI ("Who Are You"). Just awful!

But the Morse theme was written by a guy named Barrington Pheloung. I don't anything about any "Pearl Jam", but the Morse theme was written in the 1980's.

You really shouldn't use that last apostrophe like that.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's the current "trendy" way to end shows. I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some money changing hands.

I'm sure that there is money changing hands

But no-one has yet answered my question. Are these ditties considered good pop music by anyone, or is it just filler? IOW, does anyone here actually like any of it? If it is actually popular with the general audience for these shows, then I really have no gripe with it. After all, just because I can't identify with it (or even that I find it annoying) is really of no consequence or importance. I'd just like to know if this is what is considered good modern pop music. I have no feel for an answer to that.

George

These are both classic songs by The Who. You really weren't joking when you said you don't listen to popular music.

I have, of course heard "of" the Who, I just wouldn't know their songs from a hundred other pop/rock groups that have come and gone since the 1960s. And no, I don't listen to music that I find offensive to my ears.

George

Thread summary thus far: How can people possibly have musical tastes at variance with my own infinitely more refined tastes?

Stop acting like a confrontational idiot! I am asking a legitimate question about a subject that I have no knowledge of. I'm admitting ignorance here and asking for somebody to explain to me whether this trend has any legitimacy or is just some commercial gimmick that nobody cares about. Obviously, I don't like the trend, if I did, I'd have a feel for what constitutes good and bad modern pop music.

I have said nothing against those who do like it, and in fact, I think I've made it clear that I'd like for someone who does like it to come forward and explain it to me.

George

I'm sure that there is money changing hands

But no-one has yet answered my question. Are these ditties considered good pop music by anyone, or is it just filler? IOW, does anyone here actually like any of it? If it is actually popular with the general audience for these shows, then I really have no gripe with it. After all, just because I can't identify with it (or even that I find it annoying) is really of no consequence or importance. I'd just like to know if this is what is considered good modern pop music. I have no feel for an answer to that.

The producers of the shows obviously believe the music will resonate will viewers of these shows. You probably pay more attention to these songs than most people watching these shows though. If you asked the average viewer what they thought about these ending songs, their first question would be "what song?" It is only music lovers who pay attention to music these days.