IGNORED

Robert Cray - Strong Persuader in High Res 24/96 and 24/192

Hi folks,

Has anyone purchased this album at either sample rate and, if so, what are your thoughts on the sound quality?

If anyone has any DR numbers or spectograms I would be most grateful (although do not want to be too greedy!).

With many thanks.

Happy listening!

kramnotwen

Hi folks,

Has anyone purchased this album at either sample rate and, if so, what are your thoughts on the sound quality?

If anyone has any DR numbers or spectograms I would be most grateful (although do not want to be too greedy!).

With many thanks.

Happy listening!

kramnotwen

Here are the DR scores from the original CD, Mercury 830 568-2. I, too, would be interested in seeing if the hi-res remaster betters these numbers, or if it turns out to be another compressed, volume-boosted disappointment.

Analyzed folder: /Volumes/WD Passport 2TB/Robert Cray/Strong Persuader

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR13 -1.08 dB -15.84 dB 01 Smoking Gun.aiff

DR13 -0.55 dB -16.37 dB 02 I Guess I Showed Her.aiff

DR13 -1.56 dB -17.02 dB 03 Right Next Door (Because Of Me).aiff

DR13 -2.16 dB -16.87 dB 04 Nothin' But A Woman.aiff

DR14 -2.32 dB -18.72 dB 05 Still Around.aiff

DR13 -1.96 dB -17.01 dB 06 More Than I Can Stand.aiff

DR14 -2.00 dB -18.45 dB 07 Foul Play.aiff

DR14 -2.61 dB -18.70 dB 08 I Wonder.aiff

DR13 -1.94 dB -17.40 dB 09 Fantasized.aiff

DR15 -1.62 dB -18.20 dB 10 New Blood.aiff

Number of files: 10

Official DR value: DR14

I don't have anything to compare it to but I bought the 24/96 version. After 1 listen I thought it sounded very clear. Roberts guitar and the drums sounded very clean and crisp. I thought the bass lacked just a tad.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have anything to compare it to but I bought the 24/96 version. After 1 listen I thought it sounded very clear. Roberts guitar and the drums sounded very clean and crisp. I thought the bass lacked just a tad.

I totally agree with al210 after having purchased the Qobuz 24/192 version. It seems like an almost flat transfer that is thankfully free of any modern day mastering nasties IMHO. The DR numbers and graphs of track 1 are attached.

If you are a fan, this is a worthwhile purchase but it is debatable if 24/192 is necessary (note the 54kHz tone of some sort though?).

Happy listening!

kramnotwen

01 Robert Cray - Smoking Gun.m4a_report.png

Strong Persuader [192_24]_dr.txt