IGNORED

Potential Amarra Tweak

After copying amarra and itunes to the virtual HD. How do you specify in amarra that it should auto invoke itunes from the new residence. Or do you invoke both the apps manually.

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Kaka - I like the XSlimmer comment (have used a similar application in the past to split up the universal binary to take out PPC build, but haven't thought of doing this recently). great call

indirstr8s - once both apps are copied over to the ramdisk, I just launch iTunes first (instead of Amarra), and then launch Amarra separately afterwards, it then works with the already-started copy of iTunes (launching Amarra as you've probably noticed from the ramdisk opens up iTunes from the OS's disc).

Thanks for the info on iTunes settings silverlight, I had to click one off. I have got everything in ramm now - and putting the music into a ramm disk adds some more resolution and edge, which no doubt explains why Sonic Studios intends adding a play from memory setting. Its not exactly day and night but it is certainly there. The gains may be less with a SSD rather than a mechanical drive.

You start to get an idea of the myriad of fiddles the top end CD player builders must go through.

I am topped out at 4 Gb which limits memory use sadly, so waiting for the Amarra upgrade might be the way to go. I am using Mini so I hope the feature makes its way there.

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Thanks for the info on iTunes settings silverlight, I had to click one off. I have got everything in ramm now - and putting the music into a ramm disk adds some more resolution and edge, which no doubt explains why Sonic Studios intends adding a play from memory setting. Its not exactly day and night but it is certainly there. The gains may be less with a SSD rather than a mechanical drive.

You start to get an idea of the myriad of fiddles the top end CD player builders must go through.

I am topped out at 4 Gb which limits memory use sadly, so waiting for the Amarra upgrade might be the way to go. I am using Mini so I hope the feature makes its way there.

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

• 7 months later...

Hi Silverlight ,

Thank you,thank you, thank you....

I am currently using Amarra with a mac mini and a Weiss Minerva . I like the music i was getting from my system ( audio research and BW) but i felt i was still missing something.

After reading several post on SSD drive and your post on ram disk , i did try it this afternoon as it is very easy to do.

The result leave me speechless , my system has made tremendous progress , singers are here in flesh and it is just wonderful .

I recommend anybody with a decent system to try this as it is a truly wonderful and free tweak.

Cheers

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

As far as I know, when you start an app that is on your HDD, the OS loads it into RAM before running the code. Unless, of course, the app is to big to fit in RAM all at once. But with iTunes and Amarra and 4 GB of RAM, I can't see that happening with these two apps.

The OS sees a RAM drive as any other drive, and treats the files on it accordingly. So, by copying the two apps to the RAM drive and starting them from there, I think the OS will still put the code into the app space of remaining RAM, and run from there. What you gain is app startup speed, but I can't see how starting them from a RAM drive will improve the way the app runs; it runs in RAM no matter where it was started from.

Mahesh

Signal sources:[br]* Linux pc w/Squeezebox Server & FLAC files -> Logitech Squeezebox -> Benchmark DAC1[br]* VPI Scout w/Benz Gold pickup -> ASR Mini Basis Exclusive RIAA[br]Front-end:[br]* Bladelius Thor mk2 integrated amp -> ProAc Tablette 2000 Signature speakers

I agree , i am using a mac mini with 4 GB , the improvement in the quality of the music heard is very important ,even though i agree it seems a minor change compare to the way normally the computer operates.I will probably try the SSD , anydrive to recommend ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis