IGNORED

What's your listening room?

fritzg

Since speakers and the listening environment are among the most important aspects of one's system, what is yours?

Mine is a townhouse great room with big screen tv, couch, piano and a diner booth. Currently listening to B&W 685 S2s with one kinda in a corner.

Wow, mine is very similar sans piano. The dining area is on the left, which means no wall and no reflections. And the right is a bay windows with drapes all the way down the wall, thus no strong reflections. Overall size is 18x25 with 10' ceilings.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Mine is room in the basement that i can do with as I like so long as my wife doesn't have to clean it up. It's 11x19x7 with the speakers firing down the long axis. I have bass traps (big improvement) and GFK apsorption panels at the first reflection point. Wish I'd gone with absorption/diffusion but it's a done deal now. No furniture other than a leather love seat, a bookshelf with archival CDs, and sideboy. It's the best room I've ever had.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Mine's a fairly big room (23ft x 46ft) with lots of bare walls and beams in the ceiling. Sort of challenging, reverb time is fairly long. Worked to get first reflections killed plus a heavy hairy rug in the living room which has helped, but I would say this is not an easy room by any stretch of the imagination. See my signature for pics.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I have a long room, but I use its width. Not very easy to tame as you get a lot of reflections this way, but currently I do not have any alternatives, so I have had to do a lot of REW diagnosis as well as DIY acoustic panels together with DIY Bass traps.

Hey, Miguelito, you also have a lot of glass in your setup. Have you tried occluding them with some heavy drapes or curtains before listening?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Mine's a fairly big room (23ft x 46ft) with lots of bare walls and beams in the ceiling. Sort of challenging, reverb time is fairly long. Worked to get first reflections killed plus a heavy hairy rug in the living room which has helped, but I would say this is not an easy room by any stretch of the imagination. See my signature for pics.

You get some serious style points - I love looking through your pics :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Hey, Miguelito, you also have a lot of glass in your setup. Have you tried occluding them with some heavy drapes or curtains before listening?

Yeah, I considered this... I have some "semi permeable" shades that I can roll down and have tried that but haven't noticed a whole lot of improvement, though it's not really a good test to be honest.

If you look at the pic I just added (a pano) you'll see that there's a deep space behind the listening position so there's no back wall creating a standing wave with the glass.

I am also reluctant to put anything that will deter from the look of the room (after all this is my main living room).

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Mine is 35' long, between 13' and 15' wide with 8 foot ceilings. System on short wall. Lots of windows but have fabric shades. Hardwood floor with area rugs and fabric couch. My problem is at the other end of the room is my kitchen. Great for listening when cooking or during parties, they all end up in the kitchen right? But bad for SQ. Have a fireplace along one long wall. So basically its a mess from a sonic perspective...:)

edit: sorry for got the speakers. Paradigm Esprit Bi-Polars circa 1997????

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Mine is approx 4 x 5 meters. fully sound proofed color coded blue and black padding room with cheap ikea sofa, office desk under the window, turntables and mixer setup with roland sp555 sampler unit, rane ttm57 mixer from turntables into vestax pmc 05 pro 4 mixer for output. desktop speakers at either end of turntable desk. my favorite room in the house. my girlfriend says i spend way too much time in this room. she is right! haha

Miguelito, Solsitce380: Are you kidding me? Holy cow I am completely in awe of your respective listening environments. Bravo!

Ha! Thx! I try.

system pics

Simple... HEADPHONES.

Fabithierry, I like headphones a lot, but I also like the feeling of, not sure how to verbalize it, a room "pressurizing" with a properly sized system for the room environment.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Miguelito, Solsitce380: Are you kidding me? Holy cow I am completely in awe of your respective listening environments. Bravo!

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll post a pic with the lights on so you can really see the place! I've got one wall and a ceiling that are only studs and the paper side of fiberglass insulation. And did you catch the sewer drainage pipe up on the right? LOL.

Seriously, I am lucky to have the space. I've had to deal with the acoustics of worse in the past. I think the stud wall and ceiling may help balance out some of the other concrete surfaces. I get a +/- 2db freq response except for another 2 DB at ~190 Hz. (Using an OmniMic and the impulse method). Very good stage depth, imaging and instrument separation.

Fabithierry, I like headphones a lot, but I also like the feeling of, not sure how to verbalize it, a room "pressurizing" with a properly sized system for the room environment.

+1.

I like my phones too, but for those of us who like concert hall sensory immersion you can't beat a room system.

Dimensions are 34 by 19 by 11-14 feet tall with three walls made up of nothing but glass (fortunately I can open up most of the glass and end up with effectively nothing but a front wall). I've added two sound improving features, a) support columns cladded in thin wood to function as bass traps and b) drop down thin curtains to reduce high frequency reflections. Actually sounds much better than I would have thought that much glass could -- maybe because it is very uniform across the entire back of the listening area? Also very interesting sound (particularly for live concerts) with all the glass open. See my signature for pics.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

My Mac Mini system is the spare 9x13 bedroom. Carpeted floors, just built (not covered yet) panels in the front corners, some acoustic foam on the side walls and a fabric love seat. Sounds pretty, good. Or the Bottlhead Crack and Sennheiser HD600s. A work in progress

image.jpg

Dimensions are 34 by 19 by 11-14 feet tall with three walls made up of nothing but glass (fortunately I can open up most of the glass and end up with effectively nothing but a front wall). I've added two sound improving features, a) support columns cladded in thin wood to function as bass traps and b) drop down thin curtains to reduce high frequency reflections. Actually sounds much better than I would have thought that much glass could -- maybe because it is very uniform across the entire back of the listening area? Also very interesting sound (particularly for live concerts) with all the glass open. See my signature for pics.

Beautiful room!

My Mac Mini system is the spare 9x13 bedroom. Carpeted floors, just built (not covered yet) panels in the front corners, some acoustic foam on the side walls and a fabric love seat. Sounds pretty, good. Or the Bottlhead Crack and Sennheiser HD600s. A work in progress

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16827[/ATTACH]

Nice, how much bass control did you get with installing the traps in the corners? I've got a little boominess on some recordings that I need to tone down a bit. Thanks!

Nice, how much bass control did you get with installing the traps in the corners? I've got a little boominess on some recordings that I need to tone down a bit. Thanks!

I was skeptical, but they did seem to clean up the sound. I have no way of measuring how much.