IGNORED

Speaker positioning to avoid annoying the neighbours!

This might seem like a stupid question.. but i currently use desktop speakers at home, if I'm not using headphones. how can i best position these in order to not disturb my neighbours who live above me? recently i have had them banging on the ceiling more than once and i don't even play my music that loud! i try to use headphones when i can but sometimes i just want to listen from my speakers! without these super sensitive hearing neighbours bothering me! just a few days ago i was listening around 8:30 pm, not late at night, and every 2 mins i heard them pounding on the ceiling! I wanted to go up there and ask them what their problem was, but that of course could have had a negative result so i just turned it down, and the pounding stopped. this happens every single time i listen from my speakers! and i'm really fed up with it! the walls are not made of paper!

i currently have two desktop speakers, one on either end of the room, situated roughly in the middle, near the wall facing each other on flat surfaces (desks)

This, in essence, is why I spent more money on a house than some people here spend on a DAC.

It sounds like your appt is not sound-proof, so you will never keep them happy. I lived in a place once where I could hear the neighbors flick a light switch.

i have recently sound proofed the walls but not the ceiling. as its a pain in the arse to do so! the room is pretty much square. about 15ft by 15 approx. i guess there is bugger all i can do about it! i thought maybe different positioning of the speakers or something might help.. but other than that i have no idea! and i'm losing my patience with them! but of course its ok for their little rug rats to scream the building down every day and i am privileged enough to hear that constantly...

If they make noise, you should feel fully entitled to play music loud enough to drown it out. However, in my experience, these sorts of things never end well. When I was a grad student in Berkeley I lived sandwiched between two ultra-loud people, and it was torture. Then I moved to Cambridge and was amazed how much more civilized the British were, well when they were sober.

i have recently sound proofed the walls but not the ceiling. as its a pain in the arse to do so! the room is pretty much square. about 15ft by 15 approx. i guess there is bugger all i can do about it! i thought maybe different positioning of the speakers or something might help.. but other than that i have no idea! and i'm losing my patience with them! but of course its ok for their little rug rats to scream the building down every day and i am privileged enough to hear that constantly...

Ah, that explains why they are pounding - they don't want to wake the little noisemakers.

Try putting on some music and walking upstairs to ask them how it sounds. With a little luck they will invite you in to listen, and what you need to do to make it better will probably become apparent. You might need to get better speakers and listen near field, or position the speakers further out into the room. Lots of little things.

But the best advice is to buy a house with a plenty of space between you and the neighbors.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If they make noise, you should feel fully entitled to play music loud enough to drown it out. However, in my experience, these sorts of things never end well. When I was a grad student in Berkeley I lived sandwiched between two ultra-loud people, and it was torture. Then I moved to Cambridge and was amazed how much more civilized the British were, well when they were sober.

haha! some of us are still civilised even when tanked up!

Ah, that explains why they are pounding - they don't want to wake the little noisemakers.

Try putting on some music and walking upstairs to ask them how it sounds. With a little luck they will invite you in to listen, and what you need to do to make it better will probably become apparent. You might need to get better speakers and listen near field, or position the speakers further out into the room. Lots of little things.

But the best advice is to buy a house with a plenty of space between you and the neighbors.

-Paul

i tried communicating with them. i went to their door and when asked who is it, i said i'm the guy from downstairs who plays his music and you knock on the ceiling. then everything went quiet and no answer. so i left it at that.

i put my tower speakers on thick books aimed towards the ceiling angled towards the center of the room and sat right in the middle and heard music all around me if you don't want to diturb the neighbours buy a set of sennheiser 598's

quote from original post ... " i try to use headphones when i can but sometimes i just want to listen from my speakers! "