IGNORED

DBT vs. Anecdotes (More Important than Audio)

Jud

Just watched Stewart's show from the 3rd. Rips up the anti-vac crowd and goes after the Marinites and California pretty hard! Piece was titled "Les Measlesrables". Good stuff.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Lots of wing-nut friends you have. I had no idea we lived in the same town.

Immigration from California to Texas seems to be brisk- I unwisely brought up the subject of vaccinations with my neighbor today... yep, turns out the dingbat flew in from the Bay area.

I pointed out Texans take a very dim view of making our kids sick, using my best Texas face and deepest voice. Doubt it penetrated that steel lined skull. I will have to talk with her husband this weekend, and hope his head is in a lower orbit.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

According to your view, it would be a vacinnation to cause a perceptually challenged person.

No, my view is expressing sadness that there is no way to vaccinate against having ie preventing perceptual problems.If there was such a vaccination, everybody would be audiophiles ! :-)

Or maybe it would create someone able to transcend USB sound differences and hear the true sound of the true bit values. Doesn't sound like abuse to me.

Audiophiles already can do this !! ;-)

You said "We can get vacinatted against our USB cables sounding different?" ie preventing the condition of hearing differences, stripping our super powers, now that would be abuse. ;-0

Sound Minds Mind Sound

According to Rolling Stone, Ronstadt called him "Moonbeam" (no "Governor") as a pet name, which Royko picked up on when he came out to interview Brown.

That could be, but I have to wonder if they got it backwards. IMO, it would seem to make a lot more sense if she picked it up from Royko. I guess there are only two people who know for sure. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

We were discussing on this thread about vaccinations and the reasons why people will not get them, starting with autism as kind of a poster child for not vaccinating. Just read this MSN post from a women whose child has autism. Its not in the least bit scientific but I think she has a really grounded outlook on it.

I am not a scientist, but I am a mother

I'll quit posting on the subject now. :)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

That could be, but I have to wonder if they got it backwards. IMO, it would seem to make a lot more sense if she picked it up from Royko. I guess there are only two people who know for sure. :)

It would make more sense if Royko had a pet name for him? ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for making me feel welcome!

(I hope I don't make too many enemies when I start the thread "The Misapplication of "Science" in Audiophilia" that I've been working on, on and off the last couple days ;-)

Any updates on the release date of your thread?

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

We were discussing on this thread about vaccinations and the reasons why people will not get them, starting with autism as kind of a poster child for not vaccinating. Just read this MSN post from a women whose child has autism. Its not in the least bit scientific but I think she has a really grounded outlook on it.

I am not a scientist, but I am a mother

I'll quit posting on the subject now. :)

Good link. Several of us here have children who fall in the autistic spectrum. Some deeper than others, some kids little and some now adults. Our daughter was and is always current on her vaccinations. Trust me, you do not want to deal with a child who does not understand what their illness is and has trouble expressing their fear about it.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Any updates on the release date of your thread?

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo, I'm really happy you're interested!

I've had to rethink how I want to present it. My original text (treated it like a paper with references and links) is already too long and isn't really appropriate for forums. Some of what I wanted to say has dribbled out in my posts in other threads.

The nano-summary is: good experimental design doesn't start and end with DBT (and many misuse the term); many things are measurable, but considered inaudible, sometimes without sufficient support; if you want to cite stats, do it right (many don't). I was motivated by a thread on HA where some guy named jkeny (?)(who seems to have a bad history with others on HA) was going on about something. He made lots of mistakes, but he also made some good points, yet he was uniformly criticised, and it pissed me off. I've gotta learn to chillax (my son uses the term, means chill + relax)

I'll rework it and post soon... I hope. Sorta grumpy today (see God-Audiophile thread).

I've had to rethink how I want to present it. My original text (treated it like a paper with references and links) is already too long and isn't really appropriate for forums. Some of what I wanted to say has dribbled out in my posts in other threads.

The nano-summary is: good experimental design doesn't start and end with DBT (and many misuse the term); many things are measurable, but considered inaudible, sometimes without sufficient support; if you want to cite stats, do it right (many don't). I was motivated by a thread on HA where some guy named jkeny (?)(who seems to have a bad history with others on HA) was going on about something. He made lots of mistakes, but he also made some good points, yet he was uniformly criticised, and it pissed me off. I've gotta learn to chillax (my son uses the term, means chill + relax)

I'll rework it and post soon... I hope. Sorta grumpy today (see God-Audiophile thread).

Sounds like you might want to enter it as a CA blog. Too long for a forum post, but still relevant sure sounds like a blog. People will still be able to comment on the blog (if you wish). You also can make a thread post to point people to it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

That sounds very interesting.

Best,

Ricardo

...and do take your son's advice.

Sounds like you might want to enter it as a CA blog. Too long for a forum post, but still relevant sure sounds like a blog. People will still be able to comment on the blog (if you wish). You also can make a thread post to point people to it.

I think that the latter is the best option: blog the text and create a new thread to discuss it.

R