IGNORED

DBT vs. Anecdotes (More Important than Audio)

Jud

At our local school, the vaccine compliance rate is 38%; which puts us right up their with the worst of the Marin whackadoodles. (It is estimated you need > 92% for herd immunity).

Wow, that is scary.

Suprisingly, even Fox News has come out in favor of the measles vaccine, telling their audience it doesn't cause autism, etc. I guess for some reason they are willing to accept this as "settled science". Not like them.

Of course, they also got a lot of negative reaction from the "the government can't tell me what to do with my children" crowd.

But Paul's comment is correct. A person who truly believes in in the philosophy of individual freedom would agree that he/she doesn't have the unfettered right to make decisions that endanger others. Those not vaccinating their children are endangering not only their children, but even the small number of vaccinated children who don't develop immunity, plus all those in populations with weakened immune systems: small children, old people, AIDS sufferers, transplant and chemo patients, etc.

Sort of hard for me to understand why local school districts don't pass rules requiring vaccination for attendance. I believe when I was a child we had to prove we were vaccinated to get into school. I did read about some pediatricians offices that won't allow the unvaccinated in the waiting area, unless they are coming to get vaccinated.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Most states do have the types of laws firedog mentions, requiring vaccination for school attendance. However, a substantial minority, including California, allow parents to "conscientiously object" to vaccinating their children while permitting those children to attend school.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Most states do have the types of laws firedog mentions, requiring vaccination for school attendance. However, a substantial minority, including California, allow parents to "conscientiously object" to vaccinating their children while permitting those children to attend school.

Jud, have lived in California all my life. When I was growing up it was mandatory, at least in my school district. I like some of the things California has done over time on social issues, but this ain't one of them.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

There is a move in the legislature to get rid of the personal belief exemption, but then some want a religious exclusion clause, as if somehow holding a multi-thousand year old irrational belief is more justification than a 15 year old irrational belief.

Thank Andrew Wakefield, Jenny McCarthy and a generation-long war against rationality and science, combined with lobotomized uninformed political analysis that substitutes conspiracy theory for logical critique, mix in a few lungfulls of octaploid products of combustion, and whaddaya get?

People who think USB cables can sound different.

There is a move in the legislature to get rid of the personal belief exemption, but then some want a religious exclusion clause, as if somehow holding a multi-thousand year old irrational belief is more justification than a 15 year old irrational belief.

Thank Andrew Wakefield, Jenny McCarthy and a generation-long war against rationality and science, combined with lobotomized uninformed political analysis that substitutes conspiracy theory for logical critique, mix in a few lungfulls of octaploid products of combustion, and whaddaya get?

LOL. That was a lot of effort to get a USB cable poke.....

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Wow, that is scary.

Suprisingly, even Fox News has come out in favor of the measles vaccine, telling their audience it doesn't cause autism, etc. I guess for some reason they are willing to accept this as "settled science". Not like them.

It is kind of like anti-fluoridation. It doesn't neatly fit any political ideology (or suggests that the political ideology spectrum has repeating periodic boundary conditions).

So let me get this straight. We can get vacinatted against our USB cables sounding different? :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It is kind of like anti-fluoridation. It doesn't neatly fit any political ideology (or suggests that the political ideology spectrum has repeating periodic boundary conditions).

I know a die-hard anti-fluoridation nut. He isn't a nut any other way just that one thing.

Reminds me of another fellow who is a chem-trails conspiracy theorist. Seems pretty normal, but you are wasting your time telling him aircraft contrails aren't mind warping chemicals the gov't is spraying over the country to control the populace. No amount of evidence or logic will change his opinion.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The personal belief exemption was in fact removed by legislation, but Governor Brown did his best to eviscerate the removal with a signing statement (shades of W!). So the exemption may be hanging on, barely.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

some want a religious exclusion clause

Nearly all states have a religious exclusion; only about 20 have a personal belief exemption. The practical difference is that there are a limited number of religions that actually prohibit vaccinations, and people are a little more reluctant to appear to be followers of a fringe religion than they are to say they believe the same nonsense as a couple of presidential candidates.

Nearly all states have a religious exclusion; only about 20 have a personal belief exemption. The practical difference is that there are a limited number of religions that actually prohibit vaccinations, and people are a little more reluctant to appear to be followers of a fringe religion than they are to say they believe the same nonsense as a couple of presidential candidates.

I wish more religions would have prohibitions against people in the religion being president.

I fixed it for you.

Came from Linda Ronstadt originally (the nickname); don't know if you knew that.

a generation-long war against rationality and science, combined with lobotomized uninformed political analysis that substitutes conspiracy theory for logical critique, mix in a few lungfulls of octaploid products of combustion, and whaddaya get?

Nope, you get people who think USB cables can't make a difference, a bit like thinking vaccinations can't make a difference. Same flawed irrational unscientific thinking based entirely on pseudoscience. I agree though, it is scary.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

That would be abuse. More relevantly there is no vaccination for the perceptually challenged ;-)

According to your view, it would be a vacinnation to cause a perceptually challenged person. Or maybe it would create someone able to transcend USB sound differences and hear the true sound of the true bit values. Doesn't sound like abuse to me.

Came from Linda Ronstadt originally (the nickname); don't know if you knew that.

Not according to the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/weekinreview/07mckinley.html?_r=0

Besides, it's hardly likely that she would have called him that given that they went out together for some time.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I know a die-hard anti-fluoridation nut. He isn't a nut any other way just that one thing.

Reminds me of another fellow who is a chem-trails conspiracy theorist. Seems pretty normal, but you are wasting your time telling him aircraft contrails aren't mind warping chemicals the gov't is spraying over the country to control the populace. No amount of evidence or logic will change his opinion.

Lots of wing-nut friends you have. I had no idea we lived in the same town.

Not according to the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/weekinreview/07mckinley.html?_r=0

Besides, it's hardly likely that she would have called him that given that they went out together for some time.

According to Rolling Stone, Ronstadt called him "Moonbeam" (no "Governor") as a pet name, which Royko picked up on when he came out to interview Brown.