IGNORED

DBT vs. Anecdotes (More Important than Audio)

Jud

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am still pondering whether I have the flu, a lingering bacterial infection, or emphysema without the formality of smoking. It only seems to kick in when I go to bed.

Chronic Bronchitis can do that to you.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Wonder who we contact to get 538 to do an article about audio?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Chronic Bronchitis can do that to you.

SandyK +1

Every 3 or 4 years I will get a cold that, because I have allergies seems to make a strong move to my chest and triggers bronchitis which lasts for weeks. And like Bill stated it only occurs at night. I'm generally fine during the day. Sun goes down and let the hacking begin. I sleep (barely) for about 7 to 10 days sitting up in bed. Its so severe I generally make a trip to the ER. Steroids and codine based cough suppressants seem to be the only thing that helps but still takes a significant amount of time to get over.....

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

SandyK +1

Every 3 or 4 years I will get a cold that, because I have allergies seems to make a strong move to my chest and triggers bronchitis which lasts for weeks. And like Bill stated it only occurs at night. I'm generally fine during the day. Sun goes down and let the hacking begin. I sleep (barely) for about 7 to 10 days sitting up in bed. Its so severe I generally make a trip to the ER. Steroids and codine based cough suppressants seem to be the only thing that helps but still takes a significant amount of time to get over.....

I have a similar problem.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Are you hinting at the failures of DBT again? Lol

I think the power of the placebo effect (read expectation bias LOL ) can be so profound in some cases to make data analysis of the effectiveness of an antiviral completely inconclusive......UNLIKE audio where there's less intensity for a desired outcome of course. Lol......UNLESS you happen to be infected with audiophilia.

So can we equate influenza antivirals with USB cables? Interesting parallel.

It's pretty much like the ping pong game between FDA and EPA, kinda funny to watch but that ain't funny at all when we really think about it

http://foodrevolution.org/blog/video-michael-pollan/

Linus Pauling, Frederick Klenner, Robert Cathcart, Irvin Stone, Steve Hickey, Thomas Levy, Andrew W. Saul

Some folks taught me something about how to deal with bronchitis.

Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. Immediate use of hourly gram doses of vitamin C up to saturation will usually stop bronchitis or pneumonia from ever starting. But if they have, treat serious illness seriously: in the very young or the very old, pneumonia can kill. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention.

Here is a second opinion. Dr. Cathcart advocates treating pneumonia with up to 200,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily, often intravenously. You and I can simulate a 24 hour IV of Vitamin C by taking it by mouth very, very often. When I had pneumonia, it took 2,000 mg of vitamin C every six minutes to get me to saturation. My oral daily dose was over 100,000 mg. Fever, cough and other symptoms were reduced in hours; complete recovery took just a few days. Bronchitis clears up even faster. That is performance at least as good as any antibiotic will give, and the vitamin is both safer and cheaper.

Cognitive dissonance ensued for most?

The FDA wants to avoid a Type I error (false positive) by allowing the drug companies to promote the product with, as yet, insufficiently proven results. (Wait to promote and sell until we're sure). If indeed the drug "proves useful", they can allow it in the future.

The CDC wants to avoid a Type II error by encouraging a promising, but unproven, method to avoid an epidemic. They clearly believe the drugs are not wacky voodoo, and any side-effects are outweighed by reducing the spread of the flu. Lives lost in an epidemic can't be recovered if the drugs are proven useful in the future.

Audio equivalent:

If these $10k cables may or may not improve the sound, buy them if you want to avoid losing out on potentially better sound (that you may have tried and heard), don't buy them if $10k is too much just for a "maybe" (even if you heard it, but weren't truly sure).

The FDA wants to avoid a Type I error (false positive) by allowing the drug companies to promote the product with, as yet, insufficiently proven results. (Wait to promote and sell until we're sure). If indeed the drug "proves useful", they can allow it in the future.

The CDC wants to avoid a Type II error by encouraging a promising, but unproven, method to avoid an epidemic. They clearly believe the drugs are not wacky voodoo, and any side-effects are outweighed by reducing the spread of the flu. Lives lost in an epidemic can't be recovered if the drugs are proven useful in the future.

Audio equivalent:

If these $10k cables may or may not improve the sound, buy them if you want to avoid losing out on potentially better sound (that you may have tried and heard), don't buy them if $10k is too much just for a "maybe" (even if you heard it, but weren't truly sure).

Looks like your first post. Welcome to Computer Audiophile.

A very good post it was too. Someone who understood the obvious difference in the policies of the two organizations. Quite sensible and no mystery once you see that. Kudos on the post.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I am still pondering whether I have the flu, a lingering bacterial infection, or emphysema without the formality of smoking. It only seems to kick in when I go to bed.

If it's a dry cough, then it may be the flu, depending on how long you've had it (up to a week and a half). There are a couple of possible reasons for the bedtime thing: (1) You're horizontal (I assume, unless you sleep like a horse); and (2) Symptoms (like the dry cough, fever if any, etc.) tend to spike around late afternoon or early evening; yes, there's a sort of biological clock for illness.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A very good post it was too. Someone who understood the obvious difference in the policies of the two organizations. Quite sensible and no mystery once you see that. Kudos on the post.

+1

This year I got the vaccine (always do), but after my unvaccinated wife came down with the flu, I then got it as well. This resulted in a stern lecture to the wife regarding herd immunity, with the admonition that this situation (her not getting a flu shot) will never​ happen again.

As soon as I began feeling symptoms I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Tamiflu. Whether the vaccine and/or the medication or placebo had anything to do with it, or just plain random luck, I had a very mild case, mildest flu I've ever experienced. Had a dry cough for about 3 days, was pretty much knocked out and in bed for one day. My wife added about 5 days to each of these symptoms.

+1

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

(I hope I don't make too many enemies when I start the thread "The Misapplication of "Science" in Audiophilia" that I've been working on, on and off the last couple days ;-)

(I hope I don't make too many enemies when I start the thread "The Misapplication of "Science" in Audiophilia" that I've been working on, on and off the last couple days ;-)

Based on your above post and this title, I'm looking forward to it.

That said, your recent membership to these fora make us immediately suspicious of your motives :P

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The CDC wants to avoid a Type II error by encouraging a promising, but unproven, method to avoid an epidemic.

Is there any reason to believe tamilflu and these others significantly alter the spread of infection? From what little I know about them, they treat symptoms but don't significantly alter the viral load and are not true anti-viral compounds.

I've only heard the argument that they should be deployed at the outset of an individual's flu infection to lessen the probability of complications, not to control the spread of the virus.

Is there any reason to believe tamilflu and these others significantly alter the spread of infection? From what little I know about them, they treat symptoms but don't significantly alter the viral load and are not true anti-viral compounds.

I've only heard the argument that they should be deployed at the outset of an individual's flu infection to lessen the probability of complications, not to control the spread of the virus.

Actually, the class of Tamiflu and the other drugs mentioned in the article are proper antivirals. Tamiflu for example targets a viral enzyme called Neuraminidase that is supposed to prevent the virus from replicating. This is why it is so important to take it early, as later in the disease you basically are suffering more from your immune system "cleaning up the mess" than from the virus itself.

That said, barely anybody actually takes the drug early enough, and even if you do, clinical efficacy is modest at best.

Actually, the class of Tamiflu and the other drugs mentioned in the article are proper antivirals. Tamiflu for example targets a viral enzyme called Neuraminidase that is supposed to prevent the virus from replicating. This is why it is so important to take it early, as later in the disease you basically are suffering more from your immune system "cleaning up the mess" than from the virus itself.

That said, barely anybody actually takes the drug early enough, and even if you do, clinical efficacy is modest at best.

You are right. Don't rat me out to my virologist wife.

It appears that the CDC is mainly concerned that its widespread use will result in selection for resistant flu strains (which currently exist).

Such a promising career cut short. ;)

Seriously, I'll look forward to it.

Yep, found that out when I became probably the only person to read the insert that is legally required here in the USA.

What I understand you need to kill the virus in order not to get body immune response too low, that allows bacteria meet the party.

Anyway I don't take any Flu Shot, 5 years ago I got one and the cure was worse than the disease. It's almost impossible to get all the possible virus sources available in the whole world.

We have in Latin America, Europe and some other places a very good virus killer: Isoprinosine. Not allowed by the FDA in the US (Big Pharma doesn't want any competence).

If somebody complain about cough, smoke like me and you wouldn't know the source:)

The faster way to break your back (I'm sorry there isn't two choices):

Cheers!

Roch

We have in Latin America, Europe and some other places a very good virus killer: Isoprinosine. Not allowed by the FDA in the US (Big Pharma doesn't want any competence).

Cheers!

Roch

Inosine pranobex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The faster way to break your back (I'm sorry there isn't two choices):

Cheers!

Roch

Quite the twerkout.

My nephew sent me a video of a news segment about a woman arrested for twerking a school bus, with the legend, "My Dad says this is why we can't have nice things."

Looking forward to that thread & well done on your first post - nicely balanced & I like your sense of the importance of & role of type I & type II errors in our lives - particularly cogent to this audio hobby