IGNORED

Linear PSU for CPU

aps

I’m considering migrating to dedicated power supplies for motherboard (12V PicoPSU) and CPU (12V 4-pin), as well as battery operation for the OS SSD. The thought was to use a linear PSU such as the Keces DC-116 (12V/6A) to drive the CPU but I’m struggling to figure the connectors given that the PSU is shipped with 5.5mm / 2.5mm barrel connector whilst the CPU is 4-pin ATX connector. Has anyone tried direct power to the CPU? And, if so, then what was the impact and what was the cabling solution?

You can use a barrel connector from a picoPSU or similar and then a 4 pin to 4 pin cable from that to the cpu socket.

Yes, I just realised that I'd got such a connector lying around in a box of computer parts - thanks! Any experience the merits of separate power supply for the CPU (to that for the motherboard)?

Yes, I just realised that I'd got such a connector lying around in a box of computer parts - thanks! Any experience the merits of separate power supply for the CPU (to that for the motherboard)?

It is one of the things to try for yourself, even though the picoPSU will pass through the 12v to the CPU (if you use a 12v pico and psu) it is worth giving it a go separately. In general, I think it is worth trying separate power to motherboard, cpu, ssd and usb card but you have to consider other factors such as cost.

I had PPA to build me a music server which could use separate power supplies. 19v/7a to wide range pico, 12v/7a to CPU and 5v/5a to 3 x SSDs and USB V4 card. The 19v and 12v is connected via a 4 pin XLR connector and the 5v is connected via DC connector. The power supplies each have their own transformer and regulator card. I had Sound Affairs to build me this customize high current Linear PSU.

• 5 months later...
I had PPA to build me a music server which could use separate power supplies. 19v/7a to wide range pico, 12v/7a to CPU and 5v/5a to 3 x SSDs and USB V4 card. The 19v and 12v is connected via a 4 pin XLR connector and the 5v is connected via DC connector. The power supplies each have their own transformer and regulator card. I had Sound Affairs to build me this customize high current Linear PSU.

Hi Planner,

Somewhat OT, but can I get your thoughts on the PPA server? I have a CAPS Zuma currently with a SOtM LPS and I'm considering the PPA FC10 server.

Somewhat more on thread - the SOtM made a nice difference - it has 3 outputs which can be used for the CPU and USB card. It has one remaining adjustable up to 7V which I'll use when I get the Uptone Regen. I also got the JCAT BPS for the SSD and that made a nice difference too.

Hi Pepi

I'm ashamed to tell you that I have not received my music server from PPA. I placed my order and have made full payment since beginning of January. Till now, I'm still waiting. I have not heard from Paul since about 10 weeks ago despite me emailing him every week. So, if you are thinking to have him build a server, think twice...

I'm sorry to say that I had a similar issue.

I had sent him a Sata cable for repair or refund with his permission.

Never got the Sata cable, a refund, or a proper explanation.

I've met Paul and his wife in Taiwan and they treated me beautifully.

I don't understand why such an otherwise creative and talented guy is conducting business in this way.

Joel

Pang can take a long time to respond to emails although January is a little excessive with no replies if you have paid for a server although I do believe it takes a long time for server orders.

Have you tried phoning him as maybe there is a problem with the email?

I've sent him an email with a link to this thread with reference to posts 8 and 10.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the gesture. He does reply to my emails until about 10 weeks ago. That's the last time I heard from him.

Which is an unacceptably long time if there isn't a problem with the emails, if you don't have his mobile number pm me or contact me from my site so that you can get an update from him.

• 3 weeks later...
I’m considering migrating to dedicated power supplies for motherboard (12V PicoPSU) and CPU (12V 4-pin), as well as battery operation for the OS SSD. The thought was to use a linear PSU such as the Keces DC-116 (12V/6A) to drive the CPU but I’m struggling to figure the connectors given that the PSU is shipped with 5.5mm / 2.5mm barrel connector whilst the CPU is 4-pin ATX connector. Has anyone tried direct power to the CPU? And, if so, then what was the impact and what was the cabling solution?

Accidental post. Sorry.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

• 3 months later...

After a long wait... My server has finally arrival last month! Performance is wait above my expectations. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

57b9e1984142712b0636fcfba3b70257.jpg

de95eafa3635289ec2fb940677cd6be4.jpg

The server is powered by Plixir Balanced PSU. The bigger box houses the 19v for PicoPSU and 12v for CPU. The smaller box is a 5v powering the 3 SSDs.

can see 3 ocxo. what is the third one for ?

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

Hi. I am using a HD Plex 100w linear power supply powering usb d to d converter on 5v + dac on 12v + hd plex 250 w dc atx ps powering the pc on 19v rail.

The result is very good, more dynamics, lower noise floor, thus more detail. This is for audio, btw pc is running on Audiophile linux v3.1 .

So after couple of days using this, I've tried to play some hd video and bam, a lot better! Sharper picture, very dynamically moving and so lush colours. Beautiful!

So I am very happy with it. ;-)

Motherboard, USB card, OS SSD.

can have a picture of the power supply to the motherboard.

this looks great. for Memory I am using M.2 ssd which is taking its freq from mobo. yet to try on ocxo for ssd.

further I am using jplay, which plays from memory, not if it would help.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II