IGNORED

Battery powered SSD - a tweak that really works !

Is the Jcat battery PS still available? It isn't on their web site.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Jplay just emailed me and said the battery PSU is no longer available.

What is the next best option?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Jcat was selling a rebranded Bakoon product. You can still get the original from Bacoon:

BPS-02 | Bakoon Products International

Thanks Adam.

Which voltage option do I want? 5V Duet or 5V USB female? I assume the latter?

How do I connect a battery output (round port) to my SSD?

I remembered I saw the gadget needed, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

Ok guys...I am finally going to get around to trying this out during the holidays. Being a PC novice I have a few questions:

1. In a 2 pc setup (Jplay) which SSD would benefit most from giving it external power? Would both the control and music PC SSD benefit? Note that all my music is stored on a NAS. The control PC streams the music wirelessly from my NAS via Minimserver.

2. In order to get power from my LPS to SSD can I use a cable like this:

sata-gs-1__42199_zoom.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Ok guys...I am finally going to get around to trying this out during the holidays. Being a PC novice I have a few questions:

1. In a 2 pc setup (Jplay) which SSD would benefit most from giving it external power? Would both the control and music PC SSD benefit? Note that all my music is stored on a NAS. The control PC streams the music wirelessly from my NAS via Minimserver.

2. In order to get power from my LPS to SSD can I use a cable like this:

sata-gs-1__42199_zoom.jpg

Holy cow!!! That's what I am looking for. Where do you get this? Custom made?

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

Not custom made...click on the link in my post. I think its $2.99.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

That cable wont work because the SSD needs a female connector. Another option:

T1Lji3FitgXXXXXXXX_%21%210-item_pic__45651_zoom.jpg

T2eSblXf4XXXXXXXXX_%21%21411060387__51091_zoom.jpg

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just use an old separate PSU laying around for powering all Hard drives and fans if you have any. This would separate any power spikes seeping back into the main power supply and thus USB. I plan on doing just this when I get my new ATX linear supply.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/step2/Connect/

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Why not just use an old separate PSU laying around for powering all Hard drives and fans if you have any. This would separate any power spikes seeping back into the main power supply and thus USB.

Hi ElviaCaprice,

That's probably because most of the time old ATX PSU's contain a noisy fan. And besides that they are a bit overkill as (I guess) most of us are not using fans in their PC's as well.

Hi Leonard,

I agree, one would have to take into consideration any external noise produced (many of these PS's aren't that loud especially if enclosed), but if you already have a noisy room then I don't think it would matter or for headphones. The main point is that most of us have an old ATX PS laying around, thus this would be the cheapest way to power ones hard drives, including both HDD's (especially for the 12V and 5V output) and SSD's, yet retain separation from the main PS for the motherboard. Sounds like quality of the input was not as big of a concern as leaking back of noise into the PS and thus back into the motherboard.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

This is where I have a difficut time understanding not going the NAA with separate computing power/SSD/OS, etc. route. What is the reason, in an all out assault attempt at computer audio? What is the downside to having something like the Sonic Orbiter linked with Fiber Optic ethernet, and a capable PC? I have the SOrbiter and am willing to spend the money for better sound, but just don't understand what to improve on thr front end. Mac Mini 2012, i7, 3.0, 16g RAM, 32g SSD for OS, HQPlayer on RAMDisc, music stored on external USB powered by Uptone LPS and Synology NAS > Sonic Orbiter powered by JS-2 with JCat pcie USB powered by JS-2 > EnKlein David USB cable > Regen> .5 meter Curious Cable > Lampizator GG, all ethernet from my Fios router is Fiber Optics. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Well for me it's the need to playback quality video and/or HR music from the same media streamer, JRiver, I want to do it as low power as possible (no resampling), clean power as possible, with one PC via USB. Why make it complicated by shifting playback responsibility from one pseudo PC to another? All I can see is it costing more $$$ and further complications. Okay I can understand if you desire networking, but this only begets further complications, at least in my mind and I don't need to communicate with any other devices. So the optimized one PC solution is it.

Looks like you feed your sonic orbiter via Ethernet (don't know much about it's susceptibility to noise) from your NAS controlled by your Mac Mini. I take it the Sonic Orbiter is then the media player and streams the sound to your Lampi via USB. Think your good to go. Your only weakness for 2 channel audio is the quality playback of the Sonic Orbiter and it's mSata flash drive for the OS. How much noise does it inject back into the system? Not much you can do about it if it does. That's why I like flexability in my gear. Your stuck with the makers intent. Which I'm sure is just fine. Nice system for 2 channel audio playback.