IGNORED

Battery powered SSD - a tweak that really works !

While I am not a big fan of batteries, I have no problem with quality solutions like the SoTM mBPS-d2s (aside from the mouthful of a model name) or the JCAT/Bakoon that Adam started this thread with.

But I do not understand why people get excited about using those portable "charger" battery-based supplies like Anker and a thousand others. Those things all use crappy DC-DC switching regulators (though good regs of this type do exist for a couple dollars more) to come up with their various output voltages, and the products' overall small size limits what can be done with filter caps, etc. (not that they would ever spend the money to use ultra-low ESR caps, etc.).

Just my $0.02. YMMMV.

--Alex C.

I'm excited to try it because credible people like Eurodriver report incredible improvement for $35! If it doesn't work, I'm out almost nothing. If it works a little, I might be willing to invest in a better solution. Maybe your soon to come Regen power device could be used to tame these cheapo batteries too? Just a thought!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

I'm excited to try it because credible people like Eurodriver report incredible improvement for $35! If it doesn't work, I'm out almost nothing. If it works a little, I might be willing to invest in a better solution. Maybe your soon to come Regen power device could be used to tame these cheapo batteries too? Just a thought!

+1

I am mostly swayed by hearing many positive personal experiences. I certainly bought the REGEN for that reason.

I tried a small cheapo battery pack and liked it so I bought a larger Anker to try. If that works well then I may spring for a JCAT/Bakoon. I also want to try powering the SSD with an LPS to see how that compares.

I like the quote I sometimes see here that goes something like: "If it sounds good but does not measure well perhaps you are measuring the wrong thing" :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I'm excited to try it because credible people like Eurodriver report incredible improvement for $35!

I saw a mention of a 9000 tablet battery pack further back in the thread, but is there a precise model one should look at?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I saw a mention of a 9000 tablet battery pack further back in the thread, but is there a precise model one should look at?

This is the first one I tried and had great results. However I don't think its sold in North America

NeoXeo - X370H37024 - Power Bank Batterie pour Tablette/Smartphone 9000 mAh Blanc: Amazon.fr: High-tech

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Received the RavPower yesterday, and plugged the Samsung EVO into the 1 amp non-smart port. I got about 3 minutes into a track before it crashed. Apparently the Samsung v-nand tech is very efficient and uses about 50% power of a normal ssd, so no luck. However, reading Man in a van's suggested thread about using a grain of wheat bulb to provide enough current, I plugged my iPhone into one of the other ports and it had the effect of defeating the current sensors leaving me a stable solution. So now I know it can work. It was late and couldn't listen without disturbing the wife, so I have no idea how it sounded but I'll get chance to try it out this weekend. I'll probably go the grain of wheat bulb solution easily put in parallel by tapping into the molex connector instead of using the smart port. I see some 6 volt 68 ma bulbs that should work well that are $10 for quantity 100. BTW, in the hour of use the RavPower only used 2% of it's charge so it should last a good long time. Also saw in the bulb thread a simple way to keep it charged by using a timer set to turn on only at off-listening hours and having the charge port always plugged in, pretty sweet. Anyone want any bulbs?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

This is the first one I tried and had great results. However I don't think its sold in North America

NeoXeo - X370H37024 - Power Bank Batterie pour Tablette/Smartphone 9000 mAh Blanc: Amazon.fr: High-tech

Thanks Eurodriver, looks good, affordable too.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Received the RavPower yesterday, and plugged the Samsung EVO into the 1 amp non-smart port. I got about 3 minutes into a track before it crashed. Apparently the Samsung v-nand tech is very efficient and uses about 50% power of a normal ssd, so no luck. However, reading Man in a van's suggested thread about using a grain of wheat bulb to provide enough current, I plugged my iPhone into one of the other ports and it had the effect of defeating the current sensors leaving me a stable solution. So now I know it can work. It was late and couldn't listen without disturbing the wife, so I have no idea how it sounded but I'll get chance to try it out this weekend. I'll probably go the grain of wheat bulb solution easily put in parallel by tapping into the molex connector instead of using the smart port. I see some 6 volt 68 ma bulbs that should work well that are $10 for quantity 100. BTW, in the hour of use the RavPower only used 2% of it's charge so it should last a good long time. Also saw in the bulb thread a simple way to keep it charged by using a timer set to turn on only at off-listening hours and having the charge port always plugged in, pretty sweet. Anyone want any bulbs?

I sourced two of these earlier this year, someone must have them still on a shelf somewhere in the US.

Anker Astro E5 16000mAh Portable External Battery Pack Charger Power Pack Torch | eBay

I see some 6 volt 68 ma bulbs that should work well that are $10 for quantity 100

Why not try a simple 100 ohm 1W resistor instead and see if that works ? You could also go a little lower in resistance if need be.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Why not try a simple 100 ohm 1W resistor instead and see if that works ? You could also go a little lower in resistance if need be.

I work at the opera here, not the nuclear lab. so I don't know enough about circuit design to have thought of this :)

Anyway, already pulled the trigger on 10 5 volt 60mA bulbs for less than $4 w/shipping. With the demise of Radio Shack, probably easier to find too. Good suggestion though, thanks.

Bob

I sourced two of these earlier this year, someone must have them still on a shelf somewhere in the US.

Anker Astro E5 16000mAh Portable External Battery Pack Charger Power Pack Torch | eBay

So I bought one of the Anker E5's from Amazon and tried it out. It has the "Smart" ports. As it turned out they were too smart for me!

I have two audio servers running JRMC. They both use a Samsung 840 as their boot drive. One would not boot when powered from the Anker and the other worked fine for a while and then just shut down. I think that I will go the LPS route. It will be a lot easier anyway rather than worrying about battery charge, especially since I often leave the servers on.

System

• 2 weeks later...
While I am not a big fan of batteries, I have no problem with quality solutions like the SoTM mBPS-d2s (aside from the mouthful of a model name) or the JCAT/Bakoon that Adam started this thread with.

But I do not understand why people get excited about using those portable "charger" battery-based supplies like Anker and a thousand others. Those things all use crappy DC-DC switching regulators (though good regs of this type do exist for a couple dollars more) to come up with their various output voltages, and the products' overall small size limits what can be done with filter caps, etc. (not that they would ever spend the money to use ultra-low ESR caps, etc.).

Just my $0.02. YMMMV.

--Alex C.

Alex

I can appreciate you viewpoint. How about marketing a better solution for us then?????

Thanks

Just my $0.02. YMMMV.

--Alex C.

I suspect that the differences in SQ are caused by the separation of the SSD power supply from the

MB's 5V. Using a battery with a switcher without measurement of performance and or additional

decoupling doesn't seem wise.

audioPhil is correct. Segregation of HDD power supplies with good regulated 5V supplies improve SQ

considerably.

fmak

I suspect that the differences in SQ are caused by the separation of the SSD power supply from the

MB's 5V. Using a battery with a switcher without measurement of performance and or additional

decoupling doesn't seem wise.

audioPhil is correct. Segregation of HDD power supplies with good regulated 5V supplies improve SQ

considerably.

Agreed

I use a dual +12V to +5V regulator followed by a John Linsley Hood designed PSU add-on to supply my 2 internal SSDs. It takes it's power from the PC's +12V rail via a 4 pin molex plug.

One section is used for the OS, and the other for the Music SSD.

Alex

2KKAI5.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Agreed

I use a dual +12V to +5V regulator followed by a John Linsley Hood designed PSU add-on to supply my 2 internal SSDs. It takes it's power from the PC's +12V rail via a 4 pin molex plug.

Sweet!

Did you get the board printed from a file or are they available somewhere?

I tried doing that with an Ebay board but it got too hot and did not provide enough current....

System

Sweet!

Did you get the board printed from a file or are they available somewhere?

I tried doing that with an Ebay board but it got too hot and did not provide enough current....

Mourip

There have been over 800 of the various versions of this Greg Erskine designed PCB supplied worldwide via various group buys, but none are currently available, although it may be possible in months to come to directly order and pay for them in batches of 10 from the PCB manufacturer. The voltage regulator section replaces the existing current limiter section,

of the PCB, but with 2 additional capacitors mounted under the PCB. The heatsinks need an additional hole drilled in them in order to clear the other components.

Attached is a copy the artwork for anyone interested who is able to etch their own PCBs.

Alex

FEq8xs.jpg

2KKAI5.jpg

Really cool.

Further information about the original John Linsley Hood design, including a copy of the original E.T.I, International article, may be found at the link. Click on Power Supplies.

Alex

Greg's Web Site

Is this only relevant when the music is played from the SSD, or also in general?

Rips made directly to the ultra clean powered SSD sound markedly better than the same rip to a HDD despite both being played from System Memory using cPlay and an internal Asus Xonar D2X soundcard via Coax SPDIF.

Previously, my best sounding .wav files were those saved directly to Corsair Voyager USB memory using an external low noise JLH +5V Linear PSU and modified USB cable with +5V disconnected in the plug at the PC end. I think I would need more than a USB Regen to close the gap again !

All you need is 2A max. My 1TB SSD draws less than 0.5A and can run on a usb port.

Get one of the Teradak ones or if you feel rich, buy a HDPlex LPS.

None of these ready made are really high performers but will isolate the ssd from the MB.

A Belleson or Paul Hynes module will perform much better. Do a search.

fmak

See also my reply in this thread.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/power-supply-questions-25265/

Why use more connections to the A.C. mains supply ? You run the risk of ground loop problems, and as fmak suggests it is way overkill. It's noise level is nothing to write home about either.

Alex

• 4 months later...

Has anybody compared the use of a SotM SATA filter III with a battery powered SSD solution?

Although the filter might be a little bit more expensive it would also prevent hassling with charging batteries and soldering a custom cable.

Or is it even worthwhile to use both?