IGNORED

Battery powered SSD - a tweak that really works !

A 9000 maH tablet power pack has enough power to run a Sandisk 64 GB and a Samsung EVO 850 250 GB for well over 24 hours :-)

hooking up a totally separate LPS instead of a battery resulted in a hard to detect difference, whereas the SQ improvement from using the battery was huge, in the you got to try it to believe it category :-)

This is what I'm using

Amazon.com: Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 3A High Capacity Fast Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS

And this cable

USB to Molex Fan Adaptor Cable (100cm) - modDIY.com

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

Where is the +12, -12V rails, you haven't mentioned these. Are all the 0V tied together? Is there enough power on the 5V rail to supply everything?

Many thanks for your suggestions. I reconnected everything and made sure the grounds were linked.

It works now and sounds great!!!

Thanks again.

CA rocks!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing this and agree 100% with original poster. Music feels like it is coming out of a blacker, more silent background.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

I'm happy for both of you guys ! (tansc888 & gldgate)

The Jcat battery PSU became an essential part of my system. Now try the Regen USB :)

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Received the Bakoon/Jcat yesterday, and installed on my OS SSD.

Very nice, same effect as gldgate : more silent background, easier to follow individually separate instruments.

But not spectacular as the Regen (clarity, air, precision., presence..). Good stuff though.

It would maybe be better if I conect also my Data SSD on the cable with an adapter, but not sure it will provide enough current for 2 disks...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Hi

i suggest you use one power supply with one disk. Two years ago i also tried using one power supply with two disks and that was a bad idea. I had the impression that sound was even worse than without a dedicated power supply. So in the end i am using three of them now... One TeraDak for the PPA V4 card another TeraDak for the OS Disk of the ControlPC and the Bakoon BPS-02 for the CF Disk of the AudioPC.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I'm happy for both of you guys ! (tansc888 & gldgate)

The Jcat battery PSU became an essential part of my system. Now try the Regen USB :)

I have the Regen but I'm not noticing much difference. Only thing I can think of is that signal quality going into the DAC must be pretty good to begin with. I am sure that the Regen is doing its job and I will keep it to make sure I have no deterioration in signal quality but I'm not hearing the omg differences that a lot of other people are. The PSU on the SSD on the other hand was dramatic. Guess it just goes to show the varying differences in setups and power systems.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

First try on the Anker E6 16000mah Gen 2 powering the Samsung 850 ssd in my HQPlayer NAA didn't go well.

The system became unstable and rebooted shortly after I started up a track. I was incredibly impressed by the black background I thought I heard in the 15 seconds or so it could make it through!

The Anker was fully charged and the lights stayed on continually, I think meaning it was drawing enough current to operate. I checked the battery output voltage and at it was right at 5.00v.

Any thoughts? I really want to make this work.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

First try on the Anker E6 16000mah Gen 2 powering the Samsung 850 ssd in my HQPlayer NAA didn't go well.

The system became unstable and rebooted shortly after I started up a track. I was incredibly impressed by the black background I thought I heard in the 15 seconds or so it could make it through!

The Anker was fully charged and the lights stayed on continually, I think meaning it was drawing enough current to operate. I checked the battery output voltage and at it was right at 5.00v.

It's not a good idea to use a battery with inbuilt electronics for this purpose.

Product Specification: Capacity 16000mAh Output 5V / 3A Input 5V / 2A - See more at: Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh External Battery

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-regen-and-your-digital-analogue-converter-what-digital-analogue-converter-do-you-use-24410/index13.html#post436735 See post 324 by John Swenson.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have been lucky with my two tablet battery purchases, they both work fine. The one which should also be sold in the US is this one

http://www.amazon.de/RAVPower-18200mAh-Zusatzakku-Ladeger%C3%A4t-Smartphones/dp/B00RUUZRYM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

It's not a good idea to use a battery with inbuilt electronics for this purpose.

Product Specification: Capacity 16000mAh Output 5V / 3A Input 5V / 2A - See more at: Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh External Battery

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-regen-and-your-digital-analogue-converter-what-digital-analogue-converter-do-you-use-24410/index13.html#post436735 See post 324 by John Swenson.

I've seen that post by John, and as a Regen user, I certainly know to respect his opinions. However, folks have been getting great results with the Anker, so I'm not sure what is actually going on to get those results. I think I'll make one more attempt with EuroDriver's battery solution as it's very low cost. If that doesn't work out perhaps I'll move up Paul Pang's. I only know I really liked what I very briefly was hearing.

Thanks!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Do most folks in the US order the JCAT battery supply directly from them? Is there a US distributor?

Thanks!

I purchased from JCAT. It took about 4-6 weeks. Delivery was COD (about $22 in my case for customs).

You can also order a Bakoon directly from their web site for about $35 less http://www.bakoonproducts.com/store/shop/hpa-21/

My understanding (from JPLAY forum) is that the JCAT cable is longer and has two connectors. It also has 2 LED's so you can see which battery is on and which is recharging. You can connect both USB card and SSD drive to PSU if you wish. Since the JCAT is essentially a rebranded Bakoon you should be fine either way. For what it is worth, Marcin at JPLAY recommends separate power supplies if possible. So if you have a CAPS, you can keep the LPS on the USB card and power the SSD (OS in my case) off the PSU. It made a big difference.

I purchased from JCAT. It took about 4-6 weeks. Delivery was COD (about $22 in my case for customs).

You can also order a Bakoon directly from their web site for about $35 less HPA-21 | Current Driving Headphone Amplifier by Bakoon Products

My understanding (from JPLAY forum) is that the JCAT cable is longer and has two connectors. It also has 2 LED's so you can see which battery is on and which is recharging. You can connect both USB card and SSD drive to PSU if you wish. Since the JCAT is essentially a rebranded Bakoon you should be fine either way. For what it is worth, Marcin at JPLAY recommends separate power supplies if possible. So if you have a CAPS, you can keep the LPS on the USB card and power the SSD (OS in my case) off the PSU. It made a big difference.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I hooked up my wife's small USB phone charger to a Samsung 840 SSD that runs Windows 2012 in my CAPS server this afternoon. It is one of those cigar shaped ones that probably is only 2000ah at best. It worked well enough that I will at least buy an Anker unit if not the Bakoon/JCAT box.

The presentation seemed more relaxed and had more detail. A very nice improvement!

System

I use an Anker as well (can't remember the model). It has a 1.0 amp and 2.0 amp output. If I use the 2.0 amp output, I get similar symptoms to what you're describing. If I use the 1.0 amp output I have no problems. No idea if this is your problem but maybe worth trying if you have different outputs on your Anker.

Good luck.

I use an Anker as well (can't remember the model). It has a 1.0 amp and 2.0 amp output. If I use the 2.0 amp output, I get similar symptoms to what you're describing. If I use the 1.0 amp output I have no problems. No idea if this is your problem but maybe worth trying if you have different outputs on your Anker.

Good luck.

That is very interesting. Can anyone enlighten why a higher current output potential do this?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Oh. I am going to try the same with my Mac Mini SSD. Surprisingly difficult to buy the Male/Female SATA data extension cable in HK.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I hooked up my wife's small USB phone charger to a Samsung 840 SSD that runs Windows 2012 in my CAPS server this afternoon. It is one of those cigar shaped ones that probably is only 2000ah at best. It worked well enough that I will at least buy an Anker unit if not the Bakoon/JCAT box.

The presentation seemed more relaxed and had more detail. A very nice improvement!

Can't seem to find a way to edit an existing post...

Just to be clear I am using a small portable battery phone charger similar to the Anker, not a wall-wart phone charger.

System

That is very interesting. Can anyone enlighten why a higher current output potential do this?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's something to do with the battery outputs requiring a minimum current draw to remain active. Possibly the ssd doesn't draw enough current to meet this requirement on the 2.0 amp output, but for whatever reason it's enough on the 1.0 amp.

After my previous post, I checked the link that SandyK had posted for your model. I see yours only has a single output of 3.0 amps. That makes me think this could very well be your issue.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's something to do with the battery outputs requiring a minimum current draw to remain active. Possibly the ssd doesn't draw enough current to meet this requirement on the 2.0 amp output, but for whatever reason it's enough on the 1.0 amp.

After my previous post, I checked the link that SandyK had posted for your model. I see yours only has a single output of 3.0 amps. That makes me think this could very well be your issue.

I agree with your assessment. I have another battery coming that EuroDriver suggested and it has a 1 amp port. It will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

As sandyk says, some smart batteries present a problem.

Ime the 'unsmart' batteries are the better ones to rearch out (they often allow charge/discharge at the same time)

This problem has been resolved by the the use of a small bulb (link to other forum for details)

High End battery solution for the TC-7533 Bushmaster MKII - Page 36

atb

Ronnie

Hi,

A couple of questions.

I want to power the SSD, a REGEN, and Paul Pang USB v4 by battery.

Should I look for one large battery to power all three devices, or one battery for each?

I'm looking for batteries with pass through ability. I want to be able to leave the battery(s) plugged in while powering my devices.

Anker makes large batteries but with know pass through.

Thanks,

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

All this trouble just to get away from no further connections to the mains supply, when the PC is already powered via the mains. Larger batteries are normally external, with relatively long leads that pick up RF/EMI from their nearby hostile environment, as well as not being maintenance free, or need expensive charging requirements that disconnect them from the mains supply after charging. They also put a few more plugs and sockets in the path, degrading their output impedance further, and causing possible further long term reliability problems . Most of the favoured battery solutions also appear to have inbuilt electronics which can affect voltage stability and generate noise, which is of course unimportant if you are only using them for their intended use of a portable, non mains connected, charging device.

If you MUST use batteries, perhaps something like a 12V SLA battery may be better, with small internal voltage regulator/ Super Regulator PCBs converting the 12V to a low impedance and noise free +5V supply for critical devices such as USB cards and SSDs etc. ?

A friend of mine from Brisbane Au. posted the attached in another forum some hours ago.

Even on SLA battery supplies that should be very quiet and that I've been using to play around with small and cheap Class D or AB IC-based amps and for supplying my Intel Atom motherboard/laptop HDD-based media player the ripple eaters seem to work some magic.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi,

A couple of questions.

I want to power the SSD, a REGEN, and Paul Pang USB v4 by battery.

Should I look for one large battery to power all three devices, or one battery for each?

I'm looking for batteries with pass through ability. I want to be able to leave the battery(s) plugged in while powering my devices.

Anker makes large batteries but with know pass through.

Thanks,

Steven

While I am not a big fan of batteries, I have no problem with quality solutions like the SoTM mBPS-d2s (aside from the mouthful of a model name) or the JCAT/Bakoon that Adam started this thread with.

But I do not understand why people get excited about using those portable "charger" battery-based supplies like Anker and a thousand others. Those things all use crappy DC-DC switching regulators (though good regs of this type do exist for a couple dollars more) to come up with their various output voltages, and the products' overall small size limits what can be done with filter caps, etc. (not that they would ever spend the money to use ultra-low ESR caps, etc.).

Just my $0.02. YMMMV.

--Alex C.