IGNORED

Battery powered SSD - a tweak that really works !

Ultra (or super) capacitors behave like any other capacitors with the same voltage drop during discharge. To get constant voltage one needs a more complex voltage regulation than for batteries. They have a very long life and and it makes more sense to me to use them for higher power/voltage applications like amps.

For 5V a battery supply with its lower complexity should be a better solution.

but the specific SMPS he is using doesn't produce a lot of noise

Where have I seen and heard that before? Even iFi made similar claims with iFi USB, but those that tried a good linear PSU with it instead, got a further improvement. You may need to use additional mains filtering with low level devices as Vinnie suggested for optimum performance. However, how do you know that those devices are being degraded unless you try good mains filtering with them ? Other than that, I have nothing to disagree with in Vinnie's posted answer .Many SMPS powered devices are bad mains polluters, especially some LED Lighting power supplies, as Vinnie correctly stated.

Yes, a good Linear +24V 5A PSU would be bulky and expensive.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Where have I seen and heard that before? Even iFi made similar claims with iFi USB, but those that tried a good linear PSU with it instead, got a further improvement.

That has not been my experience here. the iFi USB Power device puts out some clean clean power. Can you point me to the links where people have seen better results with a linear PSU please?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

That has not been my experience here. the iFi USB Power device puts out some clean clean power. Can you point me to the links where people have seen better results with a linear PSU please?

-Paul

It might be due to the local market, I believe iFi couldn't supply the ultra low noise PSU due to regulations so dealers substituted brick type I believe. Some people imported the ultra low noise PSU and may still have preferred the linear ....

It might be due to the local market, I believe iFi couldn't supply the ultra low noise PSU due to regulations so dealers substituted brick type I believe. Some people imported the ultra low noise PSU and may still have preferred the linear ....

That is true for Aussie purchasers.

We also tried a JLH PSU in tandem with an iFi for an external HDD at a recent listening session where Audiophile Neuroscience was also present, for a further improvement.I wasn't privy to the exact configuration though, just what I and everyone else heard as a further improvement.I have seen reports of people preferring the Linear PSU over the supplied type.

Yes, the iFi USB does supply a VERY clean +5V supply to the USB device itself. However,the improvement may have been due to reduced mains pollution, which often degrades performance of other low level devices such as CD players, DACs etc. For serious listening sessions, some reviewers disconnect all SMPS plugpacks, LED lighting supplies etc.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Out of curiosity, I have just tried powering the SSD from Jcat battery PSU on my CAPS v3 Lagoon, running on two Teddy Pardo linear ultra low noise PSUs. I had to replace the mSATA SSD I was using on CAPS v3 with a regular SSD to try that. Happily, parts for the second CAPS v4 arrived, so I had one spare Samsung 850 Pro SSD to play with.

The effect was not nearly as dramatic as on the CAPS v4 Pipeline running on ATX switcher, but still worthwile. Again - more vibrant colors, more resolution and 'air'.

I can recommend this upgrade to anyone serious about computer audio. You will be glad you did.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

-Paul

Paul,

My unit with the LPSU is preferable to me. YMMV.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Paul,

My unit with the LPSU is preferable to me. YMMV.

So, you run the LPSU into an iFi Purifier and then on the Lampi? That must sound awesome! :)

Is the LPSU cleaner do you know? Not disputing it sounds better to you, just asking if you have an idea of why.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

So, you run the LPSU into an iFi Purifier and then on the Lampi? That must sound awesome! :)

Is the LPSU cleaner do you know? Not disputing it sounds better to you, just asking if you have an idea of why.

-Paul

fmak has also reported similar in a post in C.A.

I have possibly asked this question before, but can't remember the answer.

Has anybody used a DMM to check for an AC reading between the 0 volts side of the output of the supplied PSU and mains earth ?

The majority of consumer SMPS plugpacks have an AC voltage of up to , or a little more than , half the mains supply voltage when tested in this fashion. It is at low current ,from a high voltage , low value capacitor that is connected between the mains side and the output side of the plugpack, but often degrades the S/N of devices which are connected to IEC mains earth.

Even if not connected to mains earth, you may sometimes feel a vibration if you rub your finger across the powered devices metal case.

The majority of SMPS plugpacks also pollute the mains supply to some extent. The pollution is far greater than from a typical Linear PSUL

Alex

Has anybody used a DMM to check for an AC reading between the 0 volts side of the output of the supplied PSU and mains earth ?

The majority of consumer SMPS plugpacks have an AC voltage of up to , or a little more than , half the mains supply voltage when tested in this fashion. It is at low current ,from a high voltage , low value capacitor that is connected between the mains side and the output side of the plugpack, but often degrades the S/N of devices which are connected to IEC mains earth.

That's interesting. I just checked a handful of both bricks and warts SMPS that I have around here, and indeed there is 42-50 volts AC potential between mains ground and the DC output plug of the little buggers. That voltage shows up on both the + pin and the ground pin of the SMPS output.

BTW, my wall voltage is 120V here.

That's interesting. I just checked a handful of both bricks and warts SMPS that I have around here, and indeed there is 42-50 volts AC potential between mains ground and the DC output plug of the little buggers. That voltage shows up on both the + pin and the ground pin of the SMPS output.

BTW, my wall voltage is 120V here.

Yes, the two pin wall warts and brick type PSU should be avoided, see here, Fix your AC leak. Higher voltages, the more of a leak. for a 240V system, you can achieve levels of 90V above earth quite easily, so 50V on a 120V system is right on the money, so to speak.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I seem to recall a hypothesis that the benefits were derived from isolating the USB card from the noise injected back into the 5V line from the SSD. If this is correct, then I guess that I’d not see any benefit as I’m running an Adnaco PCIe card which runs off 3.3V not 5V as is the case for most USB card. Is this correct? And has anyone had direct experience with the battery supply when using Adnaco H1A PCIe / Fibre Optic card?

• 1 month later...

Which SSD are people powering via the battery, the one containing the OS or the music?

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

I power my SSD which contains the OS with a LPSU. My music is also on a NAS.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers