IGNORED

LPSU on a laptop PC : stupid or efficient ?

tgb

Hi,

I use my laptop as a 2nd source for multipurpose (web, work, video etc...). PC with i7, SSD, Win 8.1.

I use the USB output to send PC sound to the USB>coax interface (Gustard U12)

My 1st source is a Syno 212J with Minimserver, powered by a LPSU Teradak 12V13A ; the Syno streams to a SMS100 (as well on LPSU), then the SMS100 is connected to the USB>coax interface (Gustard U12).

The LPSUs on NAS led to huge improvement (details & smoothness) to the sound.

Thus I'm wondering if a LPSU on the laptop could lead to the same big improvement I experienced with LPSU on the NAS ?

Does someone power his laptop with a LPSU with success ?

Thanks

Rgds

Hifi & optical LAN setup => here

Hi,

I use my laptop as a 2nd source for multipurpose (web, work, video etc...). PC with i7, SSD, Win 8.1.

I use the USB output to send PC sound to the USB>coax interface (Gustard U12)

My 1st source is a Syno 212J with Minimserver, powered by a LPSU Teradak 12V13A ; the Syno streams to a SMS100 (as well on LPSU), then the SMS100 is connected to the USB>coax interface (Gustard U12).

The LPSUs on NAS led to huge improvement (details & smoothness) to the sound.

Thus I'm wondering if a LPSU on the laptop could lead to the same big improvement I experienced with LPSU on the NAS ?

Does someone power his laptop with a LPSU with success ?

Thanks

Rgds

I don't use a laptop, but I have collaborated with several members of another forum in the design of linear PSUs for their laptops, and they have reported worthwhile results.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

hi,

I tested from its battery vs SMPS... no difference...

Does it mean that I will gain nothing with a LPSU ?

Many people have reported marked gains with audio when running from battery instead of the mains supply.

What you will gain is the ability to get away from the need to go back to mains power frequently for recharging purposes.

Not all Linear PSUs are created equal either, and we also used a form of super regulator in the PSU designs for a much more stable AND low noise power supply. You would need to check the voltage under load when under different operating conditions when using a battery, which is normally designed more for being compact, than regulation under varying loads.Batteries age too, and their internal impedance increases with age. Try reading the voltage of your car battery when it is a few years old, both with no load and your headlights switched on.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020