IGNORED

Optimizing PC sound with free softs

tgb

hi,

My PC is not my best source, but I use it for multipropose + youtube + tv & news etc... thus it is connected to my hifi via USB to my USB>coax interface.

I'd like to know if there are means to improve the sound "for free" ? and can I expect really better or "a bit better" ?

The point is I'm lost in front of all possibilities such as asio, fidelizer, & so on ...

I need free stuff that allows multipurpose work on the PC (no pure audiophile soft that stop most of threads)

Many thanks to drive me in the fog where I am ;-)

Rgds

EDIT : PC with i7 proc, Win 8.1

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

First step of improving is avoiding of operation system's DSP. Need use ASIO or WASAPI drivers for sound card or DAC.

Foobar support both via plugins.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

hi,

My PC is not my best source, but I use it for multipropose + youtube + tv & news etc... thus it is connected to my hifi via USB to my USB>coax interface.

I'd like to know if there are means to improve the sound "for free" ? and can I expect really better or "a bit better" ?

The point is I'm lost in front of all possibilities such as asio, fidelizer, & so on ...

I need free stuff that allows multipurpose work on the PC (no pure audiophile soft that stop most of threads)

Many thanks to drive me in the fog where I am ;-)

Rgds

EDIT : PC with i7 proc, Win 8.1

Hi,

Using an excellent free software music file player like Foobar is all very well, but from your sig you appear to have a very decent (hardware) network audio player in the SOtM sMS-100, anyway. Why can't you just network stream and playback the PC's music files, using the SOtM sMS-100, rather than running a software player on the PC?

Installing a UPnP media server (eg MinimServer) on the PC, to provide the music files for the SOtM sMS-100 renderer shouldn't cause any issues, even if there's another UPnP server running on the network (such as the version of MinimServer running on your Synology NAS).

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox