IGNORED

MFSL ships Chicago Transit Authority

Mobile Fidelity have, after a very long wait, released the Chicago Transit Authority (the old double album) on SACD.

UDSACD2134-2.jpg

That's it so far, on SACD only, the page doesn't mention if they used the Gain2 with DSD256 system. Music Direct shipped the disc the other day, Jan 28.

Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority Track Listing:

1. Introduction

2. Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?

3. Beginnings

4. Questions 67 and 68

5. Listen

6. Poem 58

7. Free Form Guitar

8. South Carolina Purples

9. I'm a Man

10. Prologue (August 29, 1968)

11. Someday (August 29, 1968)

12. Liberation

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Mobile Fidelity have, after a very long wait, released the Chicago Transit Authority (the old double album) on SACD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16670[/ATTACH]

That's it so far, on SACD only, the page doesn't mention if they used the Gain2 with DSD256 system. Music Direct shipped the disc the other day, Jan 28.

Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority Track Listing:

1. Introduction

2. Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?

3. Beginnings

4. Questions 67 and 68

5. Listen

6. Poem 58

7. Free Form Guitar

8. South Carolina Purples

9. I'm a Man

10. Prologue (August 29, 1968)

11. Someday (August 29, 1968)

12. Liberation

One and a half, hey do you have any idea if they are going to release it again on vinyl? Love the brass sound from these guys.

Thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

One and a half, hey do you have any idea if they are going to release it again on vinyl? Love the brass sound from these guys.

Thanks

Well, MFSL-2-128 was released in 1984. If you're quick, this mob have that disc on sale for USD149.00. MFSL rarely let anyone know what releases are forthcoming with a real date.

Otherwise, the only place I know that sells vinyl with a passion is Acoustic Sounds. They have quite a few MFSL titles, often used as well, but not for Chicago Transit Authority.

Well, MFSL-2-128 was released in 1984. If you're quick, this mob have that disc on sale for USD149.00. MFSL rarely let anyone know what releases are forthcoming with a real date.

Otherwise, the only place I know that sells vinyl with a passion is Acoustic Sounds. They have quite a few MFSL titles, often used as well, but not for Chicago Transit Authority.

Thanks! That was the reason for my question as I have seen the original MFSL album online, but as you stated at a bit of a steep price. Oh well probably just have to pay the price.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting until the rebuilding of the audio system was completed today, and let Chicago Transit Authority play.

MFSL have lived up to their standard from such an old recording, they can still extract drums like no other. Imaging is wide, left to right about 0.5m above the centre line, dead in the centre when it needs to be. Lightly distorted guitars are that, lightly distorted :)

I've listened to this album many times over the years, and remains on the playlist, the quality of this MFSL recording is just the icing on the cake, makes listening to hires audio very enjoyable.

Buy this album, you won't be disappointed.

So how does this sound? DR on the CD layer? I've got a vinyl rip of the MFSL issue and it's good but I'm hoping the SACD is the king.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River 27 > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo TT 2 > Empyrean Copper PCUHD Cable > Meze Empyrean > my ears > audiophile brain

They played a show in my little suburban NJ town's high school gymnasium in 1969, not long after this, their first album, was released. They were awesome. Jimi Hendrix is quoted as telling their saxophone player, "Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs, and your guitar player is better than me."

Too bad said guitarist Terry Kath shot himself to death some years later. The group was never the same after that.

So how does this sound? DR on the CD layer? I've got a vinyl rip of the MFSL issue and it's good but I'm hoping the SACD is the king.

I haven't ripped the CD layer to determine the DR of this release, awaiting an SACD/ISO ripping tool from Mr. Wicked in the meantime. Foobar's plug in means I have to reset the computer's clock to 2011...I'd rather listen to the music :)

The MFSL Vinyl version rates an 11 with a Tascam recorder to 96/24 Rega TT. This SACD used the Gain 2 with DSD, the DSD is 256 IIRC, I just read this now on the album sleeve and the disc itself. So I would expect a little better DR, but not so important, the music delivery is very good indeed.

• 7 months later...

I've been listening to this for a few days on a SACD rip to file. Good but not the sky opening like I'd hoped for. People bash the Rhino issue but I don't think it's that different although I'd defer to this. The MFSL vinyl is still great sounding too.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River 27 > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo TT 2 > Empyrean Copper PCUHD Cable > Meze Empyrean > my ears > audiophile brain

They played a show in my little suburban NJ town's high school gymnasium in 1969, not long after this, their first album, was released. They were awesome. Jimi Hendrix is quoted as telling their saxophone player, "Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs, and your guitar player is better than me."

Too bad said guitarist Terry Kath shot himself to death some years later. The group was never the same after that.

I believe that (the Hendrix quote). Jimi was known to be quite humble about his playing around other musicians, and often praised other players he liked. When Dick Cavett interviewed Jimi, Cavett tried to call Jimi the best guitar player in the world. Jimi wouldn't agree and said "how about the best guitar player in this chair?"