IGNORED

iTunes behaviour of organizing Music Folder

agentsmith

I am planning to use iTunes to organize my library in my newly acquired Macbook. Being a non-Mac non-iTunes person with a large library of FLAC music painfully converted to ALAC, if I may ask a few questions on how it behaves and advises on how best to manage my library.

First off I am using a Macbook Pro (not sure what OS version, bought last week) with the lTunes automagically updated to latest and connecting to a QNAP NAS drive for storage of my music library.

1. I have been advised that the best way is to let iTunes manage my library folder and copy added files on newly added items to the folder structure. When I chose add files to library, I notice that it graciously moved instead of copied the files to their newly designated folder, which is what I want since I do not want duplicates all over the place. BUT I notice that it is not consistent, sometimes it chooses to copy and sometimes move. How does it decide whether to copy or move and how do I instruct to always move?

2. iTunes seems to be oblivious to addition and deletion to its designated folder . Is there anyway to (1) ask iTunes to monitor and update its library for any changes; or (2) Manually ask to rescan?

3. I also use SqueezeCenter which is smart enough to recognize files named FOLDER.JPG and use it as album art. Is there anything similar to let iTunes recognize that?

4. iTunes seems to be forgetful of its designated library location and defaults to a local folder location on every chance it gets. Is there anyway to stop iTunes from being creative about its library location and stick to what I tell it to?

5. Does iTunes support all of 24/48, 24/96, 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) iTunes behavior when adding music to the library depends on a checkbox in the preferences. Under the Advanced tab, I find it best to have selected "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library". Using these two settings, ALL your music will be stored within the iTunes folder in a / hierarchy. iTunes NEVER moves files, it only ever copies them or renames them. If you have some music and you are unsure if it's in the right location, the best thing to do is: first check that the two options I mentioned are selected, then under the File menu, choose Library, Consolidate Library.

2) No you can't just copy files into the Music Library folder and ask iTunes to rescan. Any additions (or deletions) are best done via the iTunes interface - you can just drag files into the library from a Finder window.

3) There are some scripts that can be used to create FOLDER.JPG files and import the art from FOLDER.JPG There is a great resource called Doug's Apple Scripts for iTunes which has loads of scripts and applications to help you manage your iTunes collection.

4) iTunes will forget it's default location if the default location is not accessible when starting up. If using a NAS you need to make sure it is mounted before you start iTunes - Chris wrote about Automount Almost Any NAS Drive On OS X a little while ago which may help you.

5) iTunes (on the Mac at least) supports all of 24/48, 24/96, 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192 and will play it back without problem. The only issue is that you need to manually select the required bit-rate in the Audio Midi control panel BEFORE starting Tunes otherwise multiple sample rate conversions will take place which will degrade sound quality.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Eloise for your answers

Regarding the fact that iTunes never moves files. I have to go home and double check. I am quite sure that when added files to library it moved instead of copied all my files to their rightful.

That's when it is confusing, I somehow think that it sometimes moves the files, and sometimes copies. May be it has to do with the fact that all my music files are in a folder called "MusicClassical" and "MusicPop", etc. And I instructed iTunes to have its library at "Music".

As far as I know, iTunes moved all my files to their right places at MusicArtistAlbum, which is exactly what I wanted.

May be if they are on the same drive, iTunes will move them?

Also, how would "consolidate Library" work? If I have an existing music folder under Music which never accessed by iTunes, do I just set the library to point at Music and instruct iTunes to Consolidate Library, and iTunes will merrily move all the files to their rightful places?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Actually you may be right ... if you currently have you files in a folder called (for example) Music, and you tell iTunes to store it's files in the same folder, it will probably move them around within that folder - personally this is never the situation I have.

Consolidate library makes sure that all the Music files that it knows about are within the location specified for music files, making copies into that folder if needed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.