IGNORED

Suggestions for Traditional Chinese Music

Hello,

I'm interested in exploring traditional Chinese classical music and am somewhat clueless. Looking for traditional instruments, solo or small ensemble, instrumental more than vocal, . I'm aware of the Channel of China series and have selected several of these that fit the preceding description, and have found a few recordings that I like on Tidal just through trial and error. I would prefer good recording quality.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Christopher

Winston Ma has released a fair number of traditional Chinese classical music albums under his First Impression Music label. Most are CD but a couple are SACD. As usual, FIM's are IMHO the very best sounding CD's - not cheap, but well worth it. The usual suspects carry the FIM label (Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct as well as their own website).

The Gossamer Song, with Hui Fen MIN erdu both CD and SACD

Autumn Yearning Fantasia with Wei LI guzheng, and Fei SONG huqin on CD

River of Sorrow with Hui Fen MIN erdu and Wei LI guzheng on CD (HDCD)

Red Cliff Capriccio (as mentioned above)

There are a few others, but these are a good start.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Winston Ma has released a fair number of traditional Chinese classical music albums under his First Impression Music label. [...]

The Gossamer Song, with Hui Fen MIN erdu both CD and SACD

Autumn Yearning Fantasia with Wei LI guzheng, and Fei SONG huqin on CD

River of Sorrow with Hui Fen MIN erdu and Wei LI guzheng on CD (HDCD)

Red Cliff Capriccio (as mentioned above)

I have the last three. They can probably be called Chinese classical music. The Red Cliff is particularly serious stuff. FIM also has Master of Chinese Percussion, which is more on the folk tunes side.

MA recordings has a number of Chinese titles. Sound quality is top notch, as usual for MA.

And if you want to go deeper than that, you might need to scrounge around in China town and deal with albums with very little English text. For that, take a look at Hugodisc, or Modern Records. From the Modern label, Luo Jing's General's Command is highly recommended.

Thanks, Jim. Unfortunately I don't have access to Project Muse. A fine source!

Why might I ask do you not have access to Project Muse? It is supposedly an open source site, and when I go to the page I have linked above, I am able to open pdf files of their publications. YMMV, but I am curious what your experience is when you click in the link.

I have a couple of titles which are cool, one of which consists of songs planters use in the Rice paddy fields (yup!). Will post them if I can find them.

But, if there's one title you could stop everything and listen to it's this one found on the Dali CD Vol. 2:

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy - this is a great suggestion.

Will check it out.

Thank you.

Not something I have come across before but what a great recommendation.

Makes worth coming on CA - thank you.

Less and less: Ikeda 9TS with Kuzma Stogi Ref and Vendetta Phono => Lamm L2 Ref & Lamm 2.2 => Tidal Piano Cera.

More and more: Mac Book Pro Retina (mid-2014) with 128GB SSD: with Audirvana 2.0) and all the while auditioning different DACs.

(something small and sometimes portable - she who must not be named demands it).