IGNORED

Diana Krall, "Wallflower"

This new album, which is to be released in the USA on 3 February, can be streamed from NPR First Listen. So I did.

I'm sure that there will be many who will like it, and some who will like it a lot.

I am not one of those people. I found it to be dreadful.

I hate most of the 1970s-1980s songs she chose to cover. The few that I don't hate--"Superstar," "I Can't Tell You Why," and "Don't Dream It's Over"--were bad choices for her to cover. Krall's voice can't match Karen Carpenter, Timothy B. Schmitt, or Neil Finn, and she brings very little new or different in her interpretations.

Did the world really need a cover version of "Alone Again (Naturally)?"

I don't like the syrupy strings-and-synths production laid on by David Foster.

If she felt compelled to reach back to her pre-teen and teen years and cover a bunch of songs that may have meaning to her as mileposts in growing up, OK. But just gather up Anthony Wilson, John Clayon, and Jeff Hamilton, book two days of studio time, and just go in and let it rip, and see if you can find some way to re-imagine these songs.

Rant over.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Thanks for taking the time to review. A bit disappointing. As you said, it would great if she could reassemble her old band.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I found it to be dreadful.

Have to agree. I'm a fan of the early albums, but the overall pop trend is discouraging — pretty much all downhill after Girl in the Other Room. Ms. Krall certainly has a right to record whatever she wants to, and I'm sure this album will sell a bazillion copies, but I'm guessing Ray Brown would not approve.

(She does, however, channel Don Henley very effectively.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I'm not the biggest fan of jazz vocalists, and have only two of her albums, but what I liked about Girl In The Other Room was the stunning clarity in the recording, and the outstanding musicians that accompanied her.

Aurender S10--> Berkeley Alpha USB—> Meitner MA-1 --> Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Audio Research REF-110-->Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers

Sonore UltraRendu with Uptone power supply —> Meitner MA1

AQ Sky XLR Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond USB, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, Nordost Heimdall 2 AES-EBU

AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

HRS RXR Rack with Isolation Bases

What a dissapointment... And I have tickets for her concert in March.

The biggest blunder? Superstar. If you're going to do Karen Carpenter you better be good. I could spit on her face right now...

mini+Roon > RAAT > dCS Rossini DAC + dCS Rossini Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V 9” + Dynavector XV-1s > vdH The Grail

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

system pics

The biggest blunder? Superstar. If you're going to do Karen Carpenter you better be good. I could spit on her face right now...

Nuff said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3O9QrfvNw#t=59

and this:

Just how beautiful was Karen Carpenter’s voice? Listen to her isolated vocal tracks and find out | Dangerous Minds

and check out this, and all the amazing stuff on this website...

http://www.studiomultitracks.com

system pics

I'm not the biggest fan of jazz vocalists, and have only two of her albums, but what I liked about Girl In The Other Room was the stunning clarity in the recording, and the outstanding musicians that accompanied her.

Likewise. I have the 24/96 DVD-A of that album.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had read this before just buying the cd. Huge disappointment. I have a fair number of favorite songs on this cd, and had high hopes, but I doubt I will ever give it a second listen. Yes, David Foster is to blame with his over orchestration, and ill chosen orchestration in most instances, to add insult to injury. But Ms. Krall seems to either be going through the motions, or simply unable to connect with this material. I cannot tell you what I would give to her this same set of songs done by a gifted music interpreter who is capable of reaching within and providing the emotion and depth necessary to recreate this music as it deserves.

JC

Yes, David Foster is to blame with his over orchestration, and ill chosen orchestration in most instances, to add insult to injury.

JC

Was intrigued by this thread. After listening to the album streamed what could have been beautiful is so spoiled and over complicated by the orchestration. Simple can be and is beautiful, as in Miguelito's links.

I received the CD the first shipping day having pre-ordered it last fall before the release and tour were delayed due to Ms. Krall's illness. I have been a fan for years and believe I have nearly every release of hers. I must say that she has been getting weak advice/help lately. Frankly I would give up every one of her albums if required so I could keep "Live in Paris." She was in top form, the French audience is both polite and appreciative, the Klaus Oberman arrangement and the audio recording are top notch. I know artist like to stretch and try new things and I appreciate her experimentation, but she should also recognize those tines when magic happens and try to bring about a repeat.

• 4 weeks later...

I just went to the concert at the Beacon theater in NYC...

It was GREAT. Anthony Wilson was amazing as always, Stuart Duncan on fiddle (who I didn't know) was incredible, and Diana Krall was very nice as well. I feel she's getting a bit of a beating because she's trying to redefine herself and does not fit the mold people have put her in... But the concert was beautiful.

system pics

It was GREAT. Anthony Wilson was amazing as always, Stuart Duncan on fiddle (who I didn't know) was incredible, and Diana Krall was very nice as well. I feel she's getting a bit of a beating because she's trying to redefine herself and does not fit the mold people have put her in... But the concert was beautiful.

Hey, Mrs Krall is still a great artist, just because I don't like her latest album doesn't mean somebody else may not appreciate it.

I like the album...indeed it sounds very different to her earlier albums...but you cannot expect an artist to keep recycling.

Brave thing to try something different...I like this album and if you prefer the earlier ones: play them.

Ubuntu Studio 64bit/HQplayer/Concero hd/Altmann BYOB/Philips AD12202 OB

I certainly have no problem with a singer, or any musical artist trying to redefine themselves at all. She simply didn't succeed at all on this album. Glad to hear the concert was so worthwhile, Miguelito.

JC

I certainly have no problem with a singer, or any musical artist trying to redefine themselves at all. She simply didn't succeed at all on this album. Glad to hear the concert was so worthwhile, Miguelito.

JC

Yes the album lacks magic, I agree. But it's also growing in my musical psyche.

system pics

Looks like I am going to be on the side that says I like the album.

I like covers and did not have a problem with the interpretations.

It's definitely mainstream - fans of "glorious dissonance" should stay away.

Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20 PSL

The album is growing in me. Some songs are great and some just are unavoidably compared to their originals, like Superstar... It's just impossible to cast a shadow on Karen Carpenter... Unless you do something outrageously different, which she didn't...

system pics

The album is growing in me. Some songs are great and some just are unavoidably compared to their originals, like Superstar... It's just impossible to cast a shadow on Karen Carpenter... Unless you do something outrageously different, which she didn't...

So no more spitting on her face then?

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

So no more spitting on her face then?

Ha! Well, Superstar is really a miss. The rest is interesting.

I'm glad someone's keeping me straight cuz I can't...

system pics

I have just been listening, and I have to say the syrupy orchestration bothers me quite a bit.

However happy to stream and hear her voice on new material. Agree that some of the song choices are not a good match for her vocal style

Find this more listenable than Glad Rag Doll, where the best part was the cover photo. Also did not like Girl in the Other Room.

I have seen her 3 times over the years, first time about 12 years ago was by far the best . . . . .

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Ha! Well, Superstar is really a miss. The rest is interesting.

I'm glad someone's keeping me straight cuz I can't...

I don't want to make a big deal out of this Miguelito but to tell you the truth, when I first read that you wanted to spit on her face because you didn't like her album I thought It was quite violent! Maybe because we are guys and she's a girl It made It worse for me but... Wow!

I know you didn't meant It, It was just a saying and that you may very well be the nicest and sweetest guy on earth but... Wow!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I think I can say I really like Wallflower. You just have to listen to it with a fresh mind and no expectations - Diana Krall had developed a strong signature style and she's trying to break out of it and I applaud.

Superstar is still a miss, but there are a lot of great songs in this album.

system pics